PDA

View Full Version : State Trooper issued handgun?

Kentucky Cop
10-14-09, 14:15
Some guys around work were talking about all the state agencies and what kind of pistola's they are issued. I was curious what kind of handgun/weapons your state police are issued and or allowed to carry?
Kentucky State Police (KSP) are issued Glock 35's with a Glock 27 as their backup(no lights). Before the Glocks, they carried the stainless Smith 10mm's. Nonetheless, all of their handguns are engraved with the KSP logo. Every uniformed Trooper also carries a Tazer. The rifle rack usaully has some kind of AR style rifle with the sling hanging down or the usual "get your attention" pump shotgun with forearm white lights. It seems to vary on the what long gun they are issued and or allowed to carry. :)
Ky Cop

TOrrock
10-14-09, 15:12
Virginia State Police carry SIG P229's in .357 SIG.

Each Trooper is also issued a Colt 6921, 14.5" semi auto M4 carbine. No optics or lights are allowed on the 6921's, they are bone stock.

jb7304
10-14-09, 15:46
Pennsylvania State Police are issued Glock 37 (45 GAP).

sjohnny
10-14-09, 15:58
Texas DPS are issued SIG 226 in .357SIG. I don't think they're authorized to carry anything different. I don't know what their long guns are.

Abraxas
10-14-09, 16:03
MO is issued the G22

COLT6933
10-14-09, 16:26
New York State Police are issued the Glock 37

Alpha Sierra
10-14-09, 16:43
The Kansas Highway Patrol is issued the Glock 21.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol is issued a SIG, I believe a P229 in .40 S&W.

ETA: OSHP issues SIG 226.

74Highboy
10-14-09, 16:57
There is a thread with lists over on Glocktalk

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877911&highlight=List+State+Police+handguns

Ak44
10-14-09, 16:57
I believe the MD State Troopers use to carry the Beretta 96 now they carry the PX4 Storms both in .40 cal

GLOCKMASTER
10-14-09, 17:06
We, NC, are currently carrying the SIG P229R DAK in .357 SIG and we just started transitioning to the S&W M&P .357. So far we have only transitioned about 150 members.

ST911
10-14-09, 20:24
There is a thread with lists over on Glocktalk

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877911&highlight=List+State+Police+handguns

Inaccurate, or at least incomplete, in several examples.

If we want to compile a current, good list, post only the info that is certain and verified. "I think/hear/saw" won't make this thread any better than GTs.

Longhorn
10-14-09, 22:13
Texas DPS are issued SIG 226 in .357SIG. I don't think they're authorized to carry anything different. I don't know what their long guns are.

I don't think so either, not while they're Troopers.

Once they're Rangers however, it's pretty much any sidearm you can qualify with IIRC.

But while doing DPS testing earlier this year at the annex in Austin, there were boxes of Speer 357S, Federal 223 and 12 gauge. I doubt this annex would hold ammo for the Rangers, so while I can't comment on what else they carry, they at least had ammo for 12G and .223 weapons.

CaptainDooley
10-14-09, 22:57
I could be wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that Bushmaster had a Texas DPS model or was written up for getting the contract... I dunno, could be a false recollection since I can't seem to find the reference.

Found the rifle (http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=BFM-BCWA3F16M4TX), ad copy states they contracted 3,400 of them after passing a torture test (http://www.gtdist.com/M4-specsheet.pdf).

Mark71
10-14-09, 23:39
NJ State Police are issued the SIG P228

NH State Police are issued the S&W M&P .45

Doggiecop
10-15-09, 00:13
Connecticut State Police are issued Sig 229 in .40 caliber.

graffex
10-15-09, 00:52
MD State Police carry Beretta PX4 Storms in .40 :eek:

Bowser
10-15-09, 01:05
CHP is issued the dreaded 4006. They apparently have the new 4006TSW model which has an integrated rail and got approved to use the surefire x300 light.

SkiDevil
10-15-09, 01:50
CHP is issued the dreaded 4006. They apparently have the new 4006TSW model which has an integrated rail and got approved to use the surefire x300 light.

I have several close friends who have worked or are currently assigned to traffic in the California Highway Patrol.

-Motor Officers currently have no long gun. 2 Officers I know who ride a motorcycle carry the Smith and Wesson 4006 Issue gun. And a Glock 27 for back-up.

-Typically, in a cruiser, the Officer will have his duty 4006,, and a 12 GA Remington 870, and a Colt AR.

Other officers assigned to CHP SWAT, K-9, or a protective detail will carry other types of handguns/ long guns.

sff70
10-15-09, 01:58
Currently transitioning to the M&P 40, from the HK USP 40.

High Tower
10-15-09, 04:29
Wisconsin State Patrol carries the Glock .40. I believe it to be the 23. They swithed to this from the Ruger P93.

Michigan State Police carry Sig 229's.

woodandsteel
10-15-09, 05:11
The Iowa State Patrol adopted the Smith and Wesson M&P40 as there side arm.

seb5
10-15-09, 07:08
Arkansas is currently Glock 21 or 23. Issued Sig 229 before the Glock for a few years and S&W 66's before that forever.

M4arc
10-15-09, 07:18

If we want to compile a current, good list, post only the info that is certain and verified. "I think/hear/saw" won't make this thread any better than GTs.

Skintop is right, unless you have first hand knowledge please do not post.

High Tower
10-15-09, 07:49
M4arc, you are right of course. I was going off of recollection from when I interned there. There were transitioning from the Rugers at the time. I'll doublecheck with my brother and let you know for sure.

M4arc
10-15-09, 07:52
M4arc, you are right of course. I was going off of recollection from when I interned there. There were transitioning from the Rugers at the time. I'll doublecheck with my brother and let you know for sure.

I wasn't singling you or anyone else out. I was merely making a statement so that collectively we can produce accurate information.

rob_s
10-15-09, 07:54
Florida Highway Patrol, Beretta 96G
http://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/html/Manuals/fh10-02.pdf

I actually almost bought one of their old turn-in 92s years ago when they switched. They flooded the used market at several shops I frequented.

shooter521
10-15-09, 08:21
Indiana State Police, Glock 17.

Kentucky Cop
10-15-09, 13:36
NJ State Police are issued the SIG P228

NH State Police are issued the S&W M&P .45

Are you sure about that. I "thought" and could be wrong but New Jersey was issued Glock's in a .357 caliber. Also, I found on the Glock.com website that its the "official" issued gun for New Jersey. Just curious, didn't know if you knew for sure. I would love to have an accurate list of all 50 states that far exceeds Glock talks incomplete list. Thanks for your help and let me know if I am wrong which happens all the time!:)
Ky Cop

Kentucky Cop
10-15-09, 13:38

Awesome! Lets do it. I wonder if anyone on here is good with making charts so we could put something together better than Glocktalks list. :D

Alaskapopo
10-15-09, 13:48
Alaska State Troopers issue the Glock 22 and that is all that is allowed on duty.
Pat

Mark71
10-15-09, 13:57
Are you sure about that. I "thought" and could be wrong but New Jersey was issued Glock's in a .357 caliber. Also, I found on the Glock.com website that its the "official" issued gun for New Jersey. Just curious, didn't know if you knew for sure. I would love to have an accurate list of all 50 states that far exceeds Glock talks incomplete list. Thanks for your help and let me know if I am wrong which happens all the time!:)
Ky Cop

Not sure why it says that on the Glock website. The NJ State Police are currently issued the SIG P228 and have been using the gun for the past 7-8 years. Duty round is Speer Gold Dot 124+p.

Lawdog537
10-15-09, 14:08
Montana Highway Patrol issues the Sig P229 in .357 sig with light rail. long guns are Rock River Arms M4 style carbines.

Longhorn
10-15-09, 14:41
To Kentucky Cop' credit...

Many law enforcement agencies, among them the New Jersey police, have already selected the GLOCK 31 as their official service weapon.

Doesn't necessarily say "NJ State Police" but that is straight from Glocks website.

But...
Firearms: Teaches the recruits the proper handling and care of issued state police firearms which includes the Sig Sauer 9mm and Benelli shotgun. Recruits participate in approximately 60 hours of firearms instruction and are required to qualify on the range with each weapon.

Kentucky Cop
10-15-09, 15:40
To Kentucky Cop' credit...

Doesn't necessarily say "NJ State Police" but that is straight from Glocks website.

But...

I thought I saw that there. Thanks a bunch. Thats some fancy talking I guess. Lol:D

Terry
10-16-09, 10:33
Michigan state police carry Sig 226s in 40, having "upgraded" from the Sig 226 in 9mm.
They do not carry 229.
The slides are permanently marked as well.

luv2pbal
10-16-09, 14:30
Delaware Troopers carry the Sig 229 DAK in .357. Just recently switched from the SA/DA 229 a couple years ago.

gtmtnbiker98
10-16-09, 14:34
Ohio State Patrol, Sig P226 .40 S&W DAO.

sjohnny
10-16-09, 15:14
I could be wrong, but I thought I saw somewhere that Bushmaster had a Texas DPS model or was written up for getting the contract... I dunno, could be a false recollection since I can't seem to find the reference.

Found the rifle (http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=BFM-BCWA3F16M4TX), ad copy states they contracted 3,400 of them after passing a torture test (http://www.gtdist.com/M4-specsheet.pdf).

I remember seeing the BM ad but had no other verification of it's veracity. I know that TXDPS has shotguns and ARs but I'm not sure of the brand so I didn't want to give out potentially erroneous information.

Rangers seem to be able to carry whatever they want.

BIGUGLY
10-16-09, 16:30
Iowa State Patrol

S&W M&P 40 cal.
S&W M&P 15 rifles (for those that are issued one).

No tasers. Quite possibly laying off troopers and narcotic enforcement officers(DNE) very soon.

CaptainDooley
10-16-09, 19:30
I remember seeing the BM ad but had no other verification of it's veracity. I know that TXDPS has shotguns and ARs but I'm not sure of the brand so I didn't want to give out potentially erroneous information.

Rangers seem to be able to carry whatever they want.

I was thinking the same thing - so when I stopped by the office today I pulled up some old footage from a short we had shot with the assistance of some of our great DPS officers. He was holding a BM carbine...

G19leo
10-17-09, 01:30
I thought I saw that there. Thanks a bunch. Thats some fancy talking I guess. Lol:D

IIRC I think NJ's Fish and Wildlife (something like that) issue a Glock 357sig. Don't hold me to it...I have very little memory left :p

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

one
10-17-09, 03:14
Kansas Troopers actually have just started using the Glock 21SF.

Prior to that it was the standard size Glock 21. Before that it was the Sig P220, before that it was the Smith & Wesson 686, before that I think the Smith & Wesson 66?

More interesting is that just a couple months ago they dumped their Mini 14's and went with Colt AR carbines complete with Aimpoint M4's in LaRue mounts, Troy sights, Surefire 500 forends with turbo heads, six thirty round P mags, six twenty round P mags. And Hornady TAP ammo.

During inservice with the guns they fired 1,000 rounds of Hornady TAP in training as well.

The ammo actually comes in boxes marked KHP from Hornady.

High Tower
10-17-09, 08:16
I talked to a squad leader from another platoon who is a WI trooper back home. He said they have the option between the Glock 22 or the 23. They also can get the 27 at a reduced price for backup.

Terry, I swear I saw a MI State Police marked 229. A retired investigator brought it into our shop to see how much it was worth. Maybe the suits use 229s? I only recently moved to MI before getting deployed so I don't have any contacts there.

Littlebear
10-17-09, 10:03
Colorado State Patrol issues S&W M&P in .40, no other option for primary.
Not sure which back-up is allowed (except Glocks are not allowed)...
As of a couple of years ago, cruisers had a Remington 870 shotgun and an M16A1 on board.

Longhorn
10-17-09, 11:20
TX DPS Trooper gave me this in asking about 1) carrying anything other than the 226R .357S on-duty 2) off-duty 3) rifle and 4) shotgun.

There is a procedure in place for supervisors to allow 'carry other than issued' weapons. The same procedure is used for carrying 'in lieu of issued' and 'in addition to issued': You must qualify with the weapon and it must pass inspection for function and reliability.

In real life, however, nobody is going to approve a weapon for carry 'in lieu of issued', except for possibly CID Agents or Rangers. If you're in uniform, your issued sidearm is part of that uniform so you can pretty much forget about carrying anything else even if you technically could be approved to do so.

'In addition to issued' is, of course, the backup weapon, which can be pretty much anything that you can qualify with and figure out how to carry concealed on your person.

Incidentally, you don't have to qualify with off-duty guns, and you can carry anything you want off-duty. If you're comfortable carrying a .22 single shot rifle stuck down your pants, DPS will look at you funny but you can do it.

Patrol rifles are currently assigned to vehicles rather than troopers. That is changing now that the legislature finally approved trooper assigned vehicles ("one car per trooper") rather than have troopers sharing cars. The rifle issued is a Bushmaster M4. Current issue is with the carry handle detached and an EOTech holographic sight on the flattop receiver.

Shotguns are mostly ancient Remington 870s, with a few Mossbergs in the mix.

SwatDawg15
10-17-09, 11:57
The Louisiana State Police are now issued G22RTF2's from Glock with their custom engraving. This is the first year with Glocks. Before it was Sig P220's for patrol. SWAT has been using G35's for years.

They can carry other guns, but only a few calibers are approved. They are approved to install white lights as well.

Also this year when they got the G22's they were given the option to purchase their issued P220 for an excellent price.

They are also issued Taser x26's.

ST911
10-17-09, 12:09
For clarity, I think we need to define the parameters of "State Police."

Many states divide their investigative and patrol functions between agencies, such as WY, ND, SD, MN, GA, KS, others, and equip them differently. Others function more like a multi-function organization within one agency structure, such as the ISP, NSP, MSP, others. They are more likely to be commonly equipped, but there is still variation.

Add now other state enforcement agencies that many might be included to include, such as revenue, gaming, narcotics, fish/wildlife/parks, others. Many of those add further variety to the mix.

Some are mixing the bag. If we're posting for fun, I suppose it doesn't matter. If we're trying to actually compile a list, I think we should narrow its scope, else it be useless. I.e., what's in the holster of the state police/highway patrol officer that will stop my when I speed through the great state of ________?

Follow?

Kentucky Cop
10-18-09, 22:12
Come on folks! we are missing a few states. Montana, Carolinas, Oklahoma, Maryland etc.....Does Hawaii have a state police? If thats a dumb question than let me know...:)

DaveC
10-19-09, 00:23
Oklahoma Highway Patrol issues the Sig 226R in 357 Sig with night sights. The first guns were the standard double/single action and the later guns were DAKs. You see a wide selection of personal owned pistols carried by the patrol also. I have seen Glock 17,19,21,31 and 35s. Their previous issue pistol was the Sig 220 in 45 auto. Some troopers still carry the 220s after buying their previous duty pistols. I was told they have a trooper carrying a Smith & Wesson 629 44 Magnum, but I have not seen him since I heard that.

For rifles the Highway Patrol issues the Colt 6520s. Their tactical team guys have the Colt M4s. They still have a few of the MP5SDs floating around for the tactical team that they no longer carry. Remington 870s is the standard issue shotgun.

Since Oklahoma does not have an agency called "State Police" it has several agencies that take the place of one.

Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics issues Glock 22s and 27s. You will see some J frame Smiths and Glocks in 9, 357 Sig and 45. They also issue early model Colt M4s with the fixed carry handles. I have not seen a shotgun with these guys so not sure.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation- They have just issued the Springfield XDs in 40. Previously they had Glock 21s or Glock 19s.

Oklahoma Wildlife (Game Wardens) they issue Glock 22s, 870 shotguns and Gov't M14s.

Terry
10-19-09, 13:06
As skintop has stated.
I have no knowledge of anything other than what a uniformed Michigan state trooper will have and the markings on the slide.
After double checking.
My FFL is a Michigan state trooper, motor carrier division.

Mark71
10-19-09, 17:42
Come on folks! we are missing a few states. Montana, Carolinas, Oklahoma, Maryland etc.....Does Hawaii have a state police? If thats a dumb question than let me know...:)

Maryland State Police are issued the Beretta PX4 Storm in .40.

Longhorn
10-19-09, 19:11
Not missing NC...

We, NC, are currently carrying the SIG P229R DAK in .357 SIG and we just started transitioning to the S&W M&P .357. So far we have only transitioned about 150 members.

MSP "Sarge"
10-19-09, 22:37
Yep Maryland issues the PX4 Storm .40

ST911
10-19-09, 23:55
Yep Maryland issues the PX4 Storm .40

So they're the ones. :D

Kentucky Cop
10-20-09, 14:54
So they're the ones. :D

Okay, I have to ask! Whats up with the PX4 storms? Good, bad, or , umm, elite?:D:confused:

Ky cop

ARJJ
10-20-09, 15:42
Mississippi Highway Patrol issues the G22 for a handgun. They recently traded Mini-14s for RRA midlength ARs. They may also be issued an S&W snubbie for a backup.

MS Bureau of Narcotics issues the Sig 229 in .357 Sig, but other pistols can be used. I've seen G22s, G23s, and one Sig P239.

MS Game Wardens are issued G22.

MS Gaming Commission issues the G19 (IIRC).

Not sure about ABC.

cfrazier
10-21-09, 09:28
West Virginia State Police carry S&W 4506 with no option for a BUG. They will be getting S&W M&P rifles for patrol.

Rider79
10-22-09, 23:46
The last Nevada Highway Patrol officer I dealt with was carrying a Glock 22C. I know, because I was making fun of him for it. ;) I doubt that's what they issue, so I don't know if they have an open policy like Metro does.

MSP "Sarge"
10-23-09, 23:37
I like my Storm, It shoots good. It works and have had no problems with it. I think all the cop type State Agencys in Maryland are issued the PX 4 Storm. Our Warrant Unit was the first in the state to be issued them. Berretta is in southern Maryland so I guess we got a good deal. As the story was told to me.

RogerinTPA
10-24-09, 10:55
Okay, I have to ask! Whats up with the PX4 storms? Good, bad, or , umm, elite?:D:confused:

Ky cop

I owned one for a year or so in .40. It was a good shooting pistol, but the lever slide catch needs to be redesigned. It was irritating and got in the way of my support hand. I broke mine a couple of times (slide catch @ 800rnds and safety in under 1500 rounds). Beretta CS is a pain in the ass both times. Wanted me to pay for shipping both ways and repair cost, because the failures occurred outside the warranty. I finally got it fixed up and traded it for an M&P40, with a round count of 3500+ and no issues.

SkiDevil
10-25-09, 04:00
The last Nevada Highway Patrol officer I dealt with was carrying a Glock 22C. I know, because I was making fun of him for it. ;) I doubt that's what they issue, so I don't know if they have an open policy like Metro does.

I went to the Glock GSSF shoot last year in Vegas at the North Metro range and was talking to one of the RO's who was a NV HP Officer. He advised that their issue gun was the Glock. We both preferred Sigs. He told me that he preferred the Sig over the Glock but Dept. policy mandated Glock. I saw a couple of other NV HP and Metro officers at the range and they were all carrying Glocks as well.

I tried to see if he would let me shoot the match with my 226, but no dice had to use the Glock.:eek:

SkiDevil

medic15al
10-25-09, 06:06
Alabama State Troopers are issued the GLOCK 22

Alabama Game Wardens are transistioning to the GLOCK 35s from the Beretta 96s

Rider79
10-25-09, 07:27
Metro has an open policy, I know officers who carry everything from Glocks to Springfield XDs to Wilson Combat 1911s.

I went to the Glock GSSF shoot last year in Vegas at the North Metro range and was talking to one of the RO's who was a NV HP Officer. He advised that their issue gun was the Glock. We both preferred Sigs. He told me that he preferred the Sig over the Glock but Dept. policy mandated Glock. I saw a couple of other NV HP and Metro officers at the range and they were all carrying Glocks as well.

I tried to see if he would let me shoot the match with my 226, but no dice had to use the Glock.:eek:

SkiDevil