PDA

View Full Version : My AK

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 14:17
Well, I have finally got my AK put together and thought I would post some pics.

C4

SPECS:

Arsenal SLR-106FR
SF M83
Dr Optic
SF Scout (G&R Custom build)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/AK%20full%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/Ak%20folded.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/AK%20Rail%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/AK%20Optics%20view.jpg

Bulldog1967
02-25-07, 15:09
Nice...how do you like the SF rai?

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 15:37
Nice...how do you like the SF rai?

So far, I like it a lot. We shall see if I still like it after the AK class.

C4

Snake RAH
02-25-07, 15:56
Grant,

does that Docter Optic sit as high as an Aimpoint in an Aimpoint low ring? Thanks.

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 16:27
Grant,

does that Docter Optic sit as high as an Aimpoint in an Aimpoint low ring? Thanks.

I think it sits a little lower (just a hair). This is why I chose it over the Aimpoint (which was my second choice).

C4

Nathan_Bell
02-25-07, 19:35
So far, I like it a lot. We shall see if I still like it after the AK class.

C4

How did you like putting on the SF rail? :p

C4IGrant
02-25-07, 20:05
How did you like putting on the SF rail? :p

The rail wasn't so bad. Removing the factory HG's SUCKED!

C4

IDCC
02-25-07, 20:51
Nice! It looks like mags will easily clear the TD VFG when being rocked in. What kind of sling are you going to use? Are you selling SLR's now too? :)

coffinman
02-25-07, 22:38
Nice......love it.

Snake RAH
02-25-07, 23:49
Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I think I want to try the Docter now.

C4IGrant
02-26-07, 07:57
Nice! It looks like mags will easily clear the TD VFG when being rocked in. What kind of sling are you going to use? Are you selling SLR's now too? :)

I am thinking very hard about installing the VLTOR AK RE-47 and then going with the Vickers two point sling.

I am now stocking Arsenal Ak's.

C4

C4IGrant
02-26-07, 07:57
Nice......love it.

Thanks.

C4

Jay Cunningham
02-26-07, 08:49
Grant,

That is a nice-looking setup, very similar to my own in many ways. I'll be very interested to see how everything shakes out in class. I think that's four confirmed SLR-106 platforms in the class to date (you, me, Templar and VADinger).

As far as changing the stock on yours, that is not an option unless you have the entire rear "trunion" removed and replaced with a traditional (non-folding) rear section. You can always install the steel triangle folder, of course, but I think you're looking for some adjustability.

C4IGrant
02-26-07, 08:57
Grant,

That is a nice-looking setup, very similar to my own in many ways. I'll be very interested to see how everything shakes out in class. I think that's four confirmed SLR-106 platforms in the class to date (you, me, Templar and VADinger).

As far as changing the stock on yours, that is not an option unless you have the entire rear "trunion" removed and replaced with a traditional (non-folding) rear section. You can always install the steel triangle folder, of course, but I think you're looking for some adjustability.

I was also looking at this interface from Ace.

C4

http://www.riflestocks.com/images05/AK/AKRBU-M4-FS.jpg

Jay Cunningham
02-26-07, 09:08
Once again, you would need to cut and grind the rivets and completely replace the rear part of your rifle.

Your 106 has the following on the rear end:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/butt_hinge.jpg

Whereas a "standard" non-folding AK uses:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/d_902.jpg

You might want to pick up an alternate with a conventional stock such as:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=271

You can mod this rifle instead of hacking your 106.

C4IGrant
02-26-07, 09:31
Once again, you would need to cut and grind the rivets and completely replace the rear part of your rifle.

Your 106 has the following on the rear end:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/butt_hinge.jpg

Whereas a "standard" non-folding AK uses:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/d_902.jpg

You might want to pick up an alternate with a conventional stock such as:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=271

You can mod this rifle instead of hacking your 106.

Thanks. What I am really after is the ability to mount a Vickers 2 point sling on it. I don't have a sling swivel where the receiver and the stock meet (which is where I like them).

C4

Jay Cunningham
02-26-07, 09:42
Grant, I have a Vickers 2 point mounted on mine and it works great for me. It takes a little getting used to having the sling mount on the right-hand side, but trust me - it works.

http://img326.imageshack.us/img326/8227/slr106fr001tk3.jpg

C4IGrant
02-26-07, 11:22
I wondered how that worked. Thought that it wouldn't sit right (especially on transitions).

I was even toying with the idea of punching out the swivel and reversing it.

C4

Jay Cunningham
02-26-07, 11:41
Before you punch it out and reverse it, give it a try the way it is currently set up.

The metal fastener that holds the sling swivel in the stock can be a real muther to hammer back down (ask me how I know...)

;)

usmcgrunt
02-26-07, 13:03
Dammit Grant you aint making it any easier for my wallet! I have been wanting an AK for some time now! Gotta say you got your looking good!

Grunt Out!

fivepointoh
02-26-07, 15:58
Beautiful Grant!

I too am going the non purist route. Have a Lancaster AKM RS on the way. I couldn't afford the nicer things for it so I went w/ the UTG rail (I know I know...but it's got good reviews), Aimpoint clone from L33t Tactical....(once again I know but I can only afford one real Aimpoint anyways and once again this thing has gotten good reviews) and then to top it all off I'm getting a CAA G-27 style grip to match my AR's...love that grip. Oh and an ACE side folder....triangular style and cutting the tang to have an internal receiver block. (Not a fan of how the external one sticks out an inch and a half).

Man seeing your pics makes me get stupid excited. :D

C4IGrant
02-26-07, 17:20
Beautiful Grant!

I too am going the non purist route. Have a Lancaster AKM RS on the way. I couldn't afford the nicer things for it so I went w/ the UTG rail (I know I know...but it's got good reviews), Aimpoint clone from L33t Tactical....(once again I know but I can only afford one real Aimpoint anyways and once again this thing has gotten good reviews) and then to top it all off I'm getting a CAA G-27 style grip to match my AR's...love that grip. Oh and an ACE side folder....triangular style and cutting the tang to have an internal receiver block. (Not a fan of how the external one sticks out an inch and a half).

Man seeing your pics makes me get stupid excited. :D

Uh, it doesn't make you excited in your special place does it??? :D

C4

SuicideHz
02-26-07, 18:41
Grant that Dr. looks like it's just begging to sit up on that lonely goofy piece of rail above the gas tube...

5.0- That 1337 tactical clone gets good reviews because the people that buy it generally haven't seen anything nicer... just food for thought.

VA_Dinger
02-27-07, 07:37
Thanks. What I am really after is the ability to mount a Vickers 2 point sling on it. I don't have a sling swivel where the receiver and the stock meet (which is where I like them).

C4

Just go ahead and mount the BFG/VT sling to the stock SLR-106 sling mounts.

They work just fine.

I just used the front mounting hook that comes with the stock Bulgarian sling. It took me about five minutes to cut it off the sling with a hacksaw.

I was originally looking into alternative ways to mount mine but it ended up being too much of a hassle.

Nathan_Bell
02-27-07, 09:50
I have been impressed at how solid the Arsenals feel. They almost feel like a bolt gun, no rattles, no wobbles. Which in comparison to some of the AK platform guns I have shot is a good thing.

Shihan
02-27-07, 23:50
Grant if you were to sell one like that minus the grip, opticals and lights what would it go for?

Thanks

fivepointoh
02-27-07, 23:51
Grant that Dr. looks like it's just begging to sit up on that lonely goofy piece of rail above the gas tube...

5.0- That 1337 tactical clone gets good reviews because the people that buy it generally haven't seen anything nicer... just food for thought.

I hear ya...If it doesn't work out then oh well...lesson learned. I do have a real M2 and know what I can and can't expect. I got it today however in the mail (the clone) and it's pretty damn solid. I'm gonna swap out the covers for some butler creeks, take out the batteries and throw in a 1/3N and change the mount to an Aimpoint Low mount. So far I'm impressed on the looks of it. Now as far as function...well that will come when I get my AK here.

And no Grant...I don't recall getting excited in that place...but then again I might when I actually let some of the 7.62 goodness fly!

Sorry for the hijack btw.

C4IGrant
02-28-07, 11:28
Grant if you were to sell one like that minus the grip, opticals and lights what would it go for?

Thanks

Your looking at about $985 + shipping for the that model AK and the SF rail.

C4

Shihan
02-28-07, 23:42
She sure is a nice one but I think I may pick up a cheap one as my Old Lady wants to kill me for buying to many toys lately.

Quartersticknick
03-01-07, 04:15
Grant,That is one hell of an AK!Nice job!

John_Wayne777
03-02-07, 07:37
My AK is so unpimped it might be ashamed to be on the same range with all the rest of these high-speed looking setups. :(

Jay Cunningham
03-02-07, 07:55
My AK is so unpimped it might be ashamed to be on the same range with all the rest of these high-speed looking setups. :(

I seriously doubt that.

:p

fivepointoh
03-02-07, 08:11
What's wrong w/ the unpimped look...seriously? I like'm both ways. My first one should be here in about 1.5 weeks now and it's getting to practical tactical treatment to match my AR. My next AK will be a standard Romy style w/ fixed stock. From there I want an RPK and a Krink. But the list will never end. The best thing about AR's and AK's....modularity and diversity. I love'm all from kiss/traditional to tactical/tapco'd (minus the tapco furniture....)

SuicideHz
03-02-07, 17:33
What's wrong w/ the unpimped look...seriously? I like'm both ways. My first one should be here in about 1.5 weeks now and it's getting to practical tactical treatment to match my AR. My next AK will be a standard Romy style w/ fixed stock. From there I want an RPK and a Krink. But the list will never end. The best thing about AR's and AK's....modularity and diversity. I love'm all from kiss/traditional to tactical/tapco'd (minus the tapco furniture....)

No offense, but I've never seen a practical tactical AR next to your name! :p

fivepointoh
03-02-07, 19:12
explain yourself please

VA_Dinger
03-30-07, 13:32
Grant, have you changed anything about your 106 since getting back from the class?

C4IGrant
03-30-07, 14:26
Grant, have you changed anything about your 106 since getting back from the class?

No, not yet, but am going to change the rail system and most likely go with the new Aimpoint Micro Dot when they are released.

C4

VA_Dinger
03-30-07, 14:44
No, not yet, but am going to change the rail system and most likely go with the new Aimpoint Micro Dot when they are released.

C4

What is the new rail?

C4IGrant
03-30-07, 14:46
What is the new rail?

They same one that GotM4 was running.

C4

VA_Dinger
03-30-07, 15:58
10-4. the UltiMAK AK rail.

That is a sweet set-up.

h8mtv
03-30-07, 16:09
Sell me the Surefire.......cheap. :D

Jay Cunningham
03-30-07, 16:44

C4

I am going to wind up with the same configuration. Started with IronDot-->went to Aimpoint-->wind up with Micro Aimpoint.

Now I just need to see if I can Dremel/file a trench down the middle of my Viking Tactics light mount so I can mount it on my UltiMak and still use my irons.

Snake RAH
03-30-07, 16:50
I am going to wind up with the same configuration. Started with IronDot-->went to Aimpoint-->wind up with Micro Aimpoint.

Now I just need to see if I can Dremel/file a trench down the middle of my Viking Tactics light mount so I can mount it on my UltiMak and still use my irons.

I'm thinking a different mount, like the GG&G offset mount, would work better than trying to work with a VT mount.

VA_Dinger
03-30-07, 16:57

Wow, thats a great idea.

I look forward in seeing is this works out.

Jay Cunningham
03-30-07, 19:55
I'm thinking a different mount, like the GG&G offset mount, would work better than trying to work with a VT mount.

Tried that.;)

Sticks out really far and looks retarded.

Glockster35
03-30-07, 22:38
Very nice rig you have there!

Navy87Guy
04-15-07, 10:26
I am now stocking Arsenal Ak's.
C4

:confused: Are they listed on the website? I couldn't find them anywhere, and a search for "Arsenal" turned up no results.

Thanks!

Jim

C4IGrant
04-15-07, 13:07
:confused: Are they listed on the website? I couldn't find them anywhere, and a search for "Arsenal" turned up no results.

Thanks!

Jim

Not on the web site yet. You can give me a call to discuss them if you like.

C4