PDA

View Full Version : A pile of parts...

S391
10-14-09, 15:29
So, after rebuilding my current AR I realized that I have the huge pile of parts.... an upper, hand guard, a commercial buffer tube with a M4 style stock, a pistol grip.... all I need is a lower and a barrel...... hmmm maybe I need to build a true "old school" carbine.... Or should I just sell it all and pick up a .22 upper.......

Hell_Bent
10-14-09, 15:43
My last build started around a MIAD grip insert I found in my range bag...

Quib
10-14-09, 16:42
That’s how my Son’s carbine started...... spare parts. Ended up being his gift from me for his 13th b-day.

Safetyhit
10-14-09, 17:29
Who makes the upper you have now? What is it's condition?

S391
10-14-09, 18:03
Who makes the upper you have now? What is it's condition?

I think it is a Bushmaster upper and the gun had less than 250 rounds through it before I swapped it out for the flat top version.

Safetyhit
10-14-09, 18:16
If you really wanted to you could have the chamber reamed with a spec 5.56 bit by a gunsmith to make sure of it's ability to cycle 5.56, but for the stated purposes I really wouldn't bother.

Sounds like it would be great with lesser expensive .223, but not as cheap to shoot as a .22 by any means.

S391
10-14-09, 21:22
If you really wanted to you could have the chamber reamed with a spec 5.56 bit by a gunsmith to make sure of it's ability to cycle 5.56, but for the stated purposes I really wouldn't bother.

Sounds like it would be great with lesser expensive .223, but not as cheap to shoot as a .22 by any means.

It was on a rifle set up for 5.56... why would I need to do anything else to shoot 5.56?

Safetyhit
10-15-09, 07:02
This is because even though many manufactures (including Bushmaster) mark their product as 5.56, their chambers are not always true spec. Regardless, in your case you could just shoot the thing and see how it preforms after adding the barrel. To do anything else now may not be practical since it doesn't sound like you will be using it that hard anyway.

So to summarize, if you shoot 5.56 (instead of .223) out of it and if it has issues at that time, then assuming your ammo is quality and mags are feeding you should probably have the chamber checked out.

Unless there is some other evident issue causing the problem, of course.

S391
10-15-09, 09:30
This is because even though many manufactures (including Bushmaster) mark their product as 5.56, their chambers are not always true spec. Regardless, in your case you could just shoot the thing and see how it preforms after adding the barrel. To do anything else now may not be practical since it doesn't sound like you will be using it that hard anyway.

So to summarize, if you shoot 5.56 (instead of .223) out of it and if it has issues at that time, then assuming your ammo is quality and mags are feeding you should probably have the chamber checked out.

Unless there is some other evident issue causing the problem, of course.

I though that the chamber was part of the barrel, not the upper receiver?

kmrtnsn
10-15-09, 09:41
I took my new build to the range yesterday for the first time. Put 100 rounds through it to zero a back-up optic and then broke my HK sight tool so I couldn't zero my irons. I was primarily using green tip and after a hick-up with the first few rounds (bolt not going into battery completely without using the FA , lack of lube and new part tightness) "Becky" ran flawlessly on the green tip and a handful of Wolf that a friend handed me to try. I just got a case plus of Remington .223 for an upcoming course, I'll feed it some of that this weekend when I mount and zero the primary optic. I highly recommend doing a build, a very rewarding learning experience that will instill a higher degree of "ownership" in your rifle that one can't get from buying off of the rack.

Al Swearengen®
10-15-09, 09:56
I see a new AR in your future.

rifleman2000
10-15-09, 10:29
My last build started around a MIAD grip insert I found in my range bag...

I have bought guns to accessorize carrying handles.

Safetyhit
10-15-09, 10:51
I though that the chamber was part of the barrel, not the upper receiver?

As you likely know, most times when we refer to an upper we are referring to an assembly. Certainly I am aware that you still need a barrel, which is why I stated that "many manufactures" boast of spec chambers that are not true spec. Maybe I worded my response poorly.

Anyway, I think your real decision is between .22 and .223/5.56. Two very different platforms.

S391
10-15-09, 11:05
Anyway, I think your real decision is between .22 and .223/5.56. Two very different platforms.

Yup.....