PDA

View Full Version : new Troy DOA sight

Caeser25
10-14-09, 17:06
does anybody have any range time with it ? sightpicture pics?

http://www.troyind.com/

http://store.troyind.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SSIG-DOA-RFxx-00

Fire_Medic
10-14-09, 17:43
Tagged for info, you beat me to it. :D

carbinero
10-14-09, 18:21
I was wondering if the diamond aperture would take off...

The open top aperture reminds me a little of the CSAT.

LonghunterCO
10-14-09, 18:42
The open top diamone reminds me of "buckhorn" sights on blackpowder rifles.

kwelz
10-14-09, 22:49
DO WANT!

Mac5.56
10-15-09, 00:01
Pardon my ignorance, but other then the "wow it's a new AR toy" factor, how is the diamond superior to the circular aperture?

FVC3
10-15-09, 06:00
Pardon my ignorance, but other then the "wow it's a new AR toy" factor, how is the diamond superior to the circular aperture?

Some - and I'm not among them - say the sharp angles better define the center of the aperture.

Brian Brazier
10-15-09, 07:31
That looks like the old one, supposedly there is a new Diamond sight coming out

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/bbrazierkendo/troy.jpg

WhoUtink
10-15-09, 08:35

Some - and I'm not among them - say the sharp angles better define the center of the aperture.
I have only had an ar for a few days now, and it has the round troy sight on it. I have never used the diamond but looking at it, I believe it would be easier to find the center of a diamond then a circle because of the very clearly defined centers on the top, bottom, and sides. I like it, but i won't be buying one anytime soon because I need to figure out how to reliably and consistently center the circle first.

carbinero
10-15-09, 10:03
Plenty of discussion on the former diamond here and a few other threads. The former diamond looked like a winner, and I hope this one is even better.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26671&highlight=aperture+diamond

opksrj
10-15-09, 17:56
I'm a huge fan of these

M4Fundi
10-16-09, 00:18
I am looking forward to trying this sight. I can't see close and my rear ap doesn't always appear round (bottom seems to slurr) and so I have problems with vertical stringing (no prob on the horizontal plane). I hope this will help.

bakon
10-18-09, 00:51
I am still learning here but could they pick a better acronym? DIA or diamond maybe?

Is Troy a good name for parts?

Like I said I'm learning a saw they are included on the Ruger carbine while on their site.

kwelz
10-18-09, 01:24
Troy makes some of the better AR parts. They are pretty much the gold standard for BUIS right now.

Deaj
10-18-09, 01:39
I wish Troy Industries was willing to sell jusst the aperture part. I already have the Troy rail mount flip-up battle sights and I'm not interested in buying an otherwise identical $140 replacement just for a change in aperture. Maybe they'll reconsider sometime down the road..

be1498
10-18-09, 10:04
I wish Troy Industries was willing to sell jusst the aperture part. I already have the Troy rail mount flip-up battle sights and I'm not interested in buying an otherwise identical $140 replacement just for a change in aperture. Maybe they'll reconsider sometime down the road..

I just bought a Troy with the circular aperture. Now I wish I'd waited a week! This sight looks like it'd be easier for me to find center. YMMV.

SpyderTattoo
10-23-09, 18:33
I just recieved my DOA today. I can say I'm a little disappointed in it. The aperature is supposed to help get a quicker sight picture, but honestly, if you're sighting in with your nose to the charging handle like you should, the rear sight washes out and is completely blurry anyway. I don't see that there is any advantage over the round aperature since any aperature that close to your eye will become blurry. Especially if you're focusing on the front sight post like you should be. Even the while lines provided on the sight disappear unless you back-off from the sight and give yourself a longer eye relief. At least it was only $140 plus shipping.

Deaj
10-23-09, 19:11
I just recieved my DOA today. I can say I'm a little disappointed in it. The aperature is supposed to help get a quicker sight picture, but honestly, if you're sighting in with your nose to the charging handle like you should, the rear sight washes out and is completely blurry anyway. I don't see that there is any advantage over the round aperature since any aperature that close to your eye will become blurry. Especially if you're focusing on the front sight post like you should be. Even the while lines provided on the sight disappear unless you back-off from the sight and give yourself a longer eye relief. At least it was only $140 plus shipping.

I just recently installed a .034" dia. KNS front sight post with a ~2 MOA bead at the top. I have the bead set to cover / center on the target. Cnetering the bead in a round aperture, even when close and the aperture is completely blurred works great and target acquisition is quick. This got me wondering about what benefit the dioptic aperture would have given how blurry the stock aperture is with my cheek weld (not nose to the charging handle but pretty close). I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I was rather hopeful about this sight early on.

meisterhau
10-25-09, 17:54

My wife wanted to lose the carry handle on her AR, so we went with this BUIS in case she ever decides to put a RDS optic on it (probably the T1). We found the same thing, to a lesser degree. I was able to kind of make out the cross hairs, which helped a little in centering the front post - the square shape was of no use. Whether it makes things faster vs. easier... I'm thinking it may have slowed me down a bit, trying to get that top edge of the post "just so" centered and level with the blurred white lines. All in all, it's still a TROY, so it's a tank. I'm not disappointed, just not thrilled any more than the round aperture one on my AR (which is usually folded in favor of the M4s I'm running).

Caeser25
10-26-09, 18:42

Can you take some pics when you get a chance? How is the long range aperture?

SpyderTattoo
10-26-09, 18:54
No pics yet. I think I may have jumped the gun just a tad. When I first mounted the DOA to my gun I was inside while experimenting with using the sight. When I took it outside it was a little easier for my eye to resolve the shape of the rear aperature. I believe any rear aperature will become blurry if your eye is that close to it. My eyesight has been perfect my entire life, but now that I'm 36 I fear it could be starting to deteriorate a bit.
To answer the question about the small aperature... same problem. The instructions that come with the sight say to allign top of front sight post with the prongs of the rear sight that are facing each other. If I'm not mistaken, the center of both aperatures are in line with each other, same plane, thus, using the prongs on the small aperature is essentially using a "hold over" technique, but a forced, mechanical one... if you follow what I'm trying to say. By using the prongs instead of the center of the diamond, you are holding the rifle with the rear just slightly lower than center, so POI is POA at 550 yards, according to instructions. I think this is actually a good idea, something the round aperature sight can't do because of not having the open prongs like the DOA has. I hope this concept is coming across OK... Should be easy to see what I mean by looking at the stock pics of the DOA sght on the TROY website.

06Bouley
10-26-09, 21:56
New guy here who just got my DOA in late last week, haven't shot with it yet. Here's the best pic I could get with my POS PAS Digi...
Forgive the pic...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80/06Bouley/PA240012.jpg?t=1256611359
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80/06Bouley/PA240037.jpg?t=1256611404

eternal24k
12-10-09, 15:19
I have one of the original Mirror Sight ones, anybody have the new style? How are you guys liking it?