PDA

View Full Version : Backup change of clothes?

rob_s
10-15-09, 10:49
BOB, vehicle, whatever. Do you keep a change of clothes with you?

I'm thinking of putting a full change of clothes in the car for a variety of purposes to include having evac'd somewhere and just wanting a fresh set, to walking under a paint bucket at work, to whatever multi-letter fantasy scenario may come up. I was planning on sealing it up with a food saver kind of deal, notching the corners so it can be torn open without tools, and sticking it in my bag that stays in the truck.

Thoughts?

Ideally it would be clothing that can pass for multiple situations. I'm thinking tan or khaki pants, possibly commercial cargo pants, and a lightweight polo. Maybe some of those britches that you can remove the legs and make shorts? Nothing that looks too "tactical" but still want the ability to tote some things if need be.

For outerwear I'm thinking that if I need a coat or jacket I'll have that with me already, plus I'm in SE Florida where it just seems to get hotter all the time. I also already keep limited rain gear in the pack anyway.

A spare pair of socks, underwear, and possibly an undershirt, probably all Under Armor or a knockoff of same.

Some kind of nylon belt that's not too tactical looking but can be used to support a pistol, light, spare pistol mag, and possibly a carbine mag. Something like the Wilderness Frequent Flyer (http://store.thewilderness.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=1820&osCsid=04856td7tp7fqiss6ksivb2ib0) would seem to be a good all-around.

Kind of torn on shoes as well. On the one hand it would be nice to have a spare pair, especially if I found myself going from work attire to needing to hike, but on the other hand they will add bulk and cost.

Which brings up a good point as well, which is cost. Obviously having a complete change of TAD gear clothing, a Cobra-buckled belt, a pair of Keen boots (although I admit these (http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw09/shoes/men/blvd/missoula%20slip%20on/bison%20%28full-grain%29)would be damn cool if fit properly) would add up in terms of cost.

Arbitrary price limits for everything I think would go
Pants - $50
Shirt - $25
Under - $50 (for the set)
Belt - $30
Shoes - $50 (if included)

Or a total overall budget of $200 or so.

For me personally, this set of clothes would probably get rotated pretty frequently. Range nights after work I'd just bust open the bag and wear everything rather than try to remember to pack, but I'd still want it sealed in case I went a few months without rotating.

MarshallDodge
10-15-09, 10:56
A good pair of shoes and socks would be where I would spend the most of my money. I try to keep a jacket, sweatshirt, t-shirt, socks, underwear, and a pair of jeans in my pack. You may want to keep a pair of shorts considering your climate.

Everything I carry is out of my "seconds" collection which is pretty much anything more than a couple years old so it is all broken-in. No reason to spend $200 on something that will sit in a pack.

rob_s
10-15-09, 11:14
I'm not necessarily going to go buying all new, just trying to give a general target.

All the Under Armor stuff, for example, is stuff I already have and can use.

Zhurdan
10-15-09, 11:30
Out here in Wyoming, it's essential to carry extra clothing. One bad snow storm where you get stuck will make you a believer. I've got one of those vacuum sealer bags and I keep the following in it:

-Long sleeve shirt
-Pants
-Socks
-Underware
-Toothbrush and paste
-Warm hat
-Spare gloves
-Hard candy

Being cold isn't so bad... being cold in wet cloths is a killer.

I vacuum pack it and it sits in the trunk next to a small shovel and an extra pair of work boots. It's not only handy for when you get stuck in the snow or break down, but pretty much any time you might have to stay over a night when you didn't plan on it (road closures and such). A coat is always in the car.

The vacuum sealer bags are great. They compress quite well and take up far less space than a duffle bag. I got them off of an infomercial. (Is it just me, or do some of those infomercials make more and more sense as you get older?)

It's a good idea.

Outlander Systems
10-15-09, 11:39
I wholeheartedly endorse underarmour undergarments.

I keep an old flight suit and a spare pare of boots in the truck, in the event I'm getting into something nasty and don't want to ruin what I've got on.

In the BOB, I keep:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5664/baselayer1.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2416/baselayer2.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9223/baselayer3.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6148/coldweather.jpg

+ 1 Set of Woodland BDUs.

Fresh clothing can help you feel less like an animal and more like a civilised human.

bkb0000
10-15-09, 11:40
i have a spare set of dry clothes in the truck about 50% of the time- the only reason it's not 100% of the time is because i generally have to use the spare set at least once a month, then forget to replenish.

a lot of guys just drive home all wet and muddy... i HATE being wet. working while wet is one thing, but sitting in wet clothes for an hour drive home at the end of the day is no bueno.

K.L. Davis
10-15-09, 12:16
bagged up and sealed in both of my vehicles...

Sweats
Polo Shirt
T-shirt
Pants
Socks
Undies
Pair of tennies

ETA: Retired set of coveralls, poncho and work gloves in the tool bag

Also handy... Space Bag (http://www.amazon.com/Seen-Space-Bag-Medium-22-5/dp/B000N8K5N6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255627153&sr=1-13)

00leland00
10-15-09, 12:21
I keep a clean t-shirt and pair of socks in my GHB, there's always some type of fleece and rain jacket in the truck. Just like MarshallDodge stated above, they're just ones that fit but i don't wear everyday, so they're not missed. Maybe throwing a dryer sheet in with them before you seal them up would help keep them "fresh." Just a thought.

Outlander Systems
10-15-09, 12:26
Maybe throwing a dryer sheet in with them before you seal them up would help keep them "fresh." Just a thought.

Great idea!

Iraq Ninja
10-15-09, 12:36
Is underwear really needed, especially in humid climates? It would be the first thing I would leave out if space is short.

Maybe its the Ranger in me, since we tended to not wear underwear on long missions. Felt better and made it easier to drop a load quickly if needed. Tight underwear in the jungle also tended to attract bugs, mites, and ticks.

10-15-09, 13:17
IN- So you are a Ranger that goes commando?:D Couldn't resist.

I like to keep xtra socks around for any situation. Heard too many stories from my father and his friends from Vietnam. I like the idea of vacuum packing clothes for storage in the trunk.(Zhurdan)

I have just decided to buy a vacuum sealer this weekend and put xtra clothes in our cars. If I get around to taking pics, and finish the honey do list, I'll post 'em.

Iraq Ninja
10-15-09, 13:34
IN- So you are a Ranger that goes commando?:D Couldn't resist.

Not these days. I got to wear a thin flight suit and it don't look good, especially those camel toes on the rear from wearing kit. Also, it has this long zipper in the front and... you get the picture.

BTW, the new Under Armor UA Tech shirts are much better than the standard ones. Feels like cotton, but much cooler.

BAC
10-15-09, 16:38
Ask a Floridian what the first part of them that sweats is after five minutes of walking or driving under a the sun. Underwear prevents chaffing, but a sweaty crotch is no damn fun.

Change of clothes is a good idea in general; shit spills, babies puke, etc.

-B

Outlander Systems
10-15-09, 17:50
I have personally defecated in my pants (liquid shiquid :eek: ) while chopping a tree down (from either eating or drinking something I probably shouldn't have), while at least 2 miles into the woods.

Seriously, a change of drawers is a nice thing to have.

The man panties saved my pants.

bkb0000
10-15-09, 19:08
I have personally defecated in my pants (liquid shiquid :eek: ) while chopping a tree down (from either eating or drinking something I probably shouldn't have), while at least 2 miles into the woods.

Seriously, a change of drawers is a nice thing to have.

The man panties saved my pants.

damn, dude...

Outlander Systems
10-15-09, 19:19
Hey, there's nothing more tactically un-sound than having 1 pair of pants with poop all over them.

I was out of town for four days, and brought one pair of ACU-type pants, and one ACU-type jacket.

It was the first day...

You never get to choose when you're gonna get a Havana Omelet. If you think you can "make it" and decide to do something physically exerting, like chopping a hardwood down with a machete, you most likely can't. You'll just end up with soiled britches, poor morale, and an extreme wish for an undie-reload.

;)

*Another reason to keep some bandanas with you at all times

I'm sorry for bein' foul, but it's a true story; it's quite literally the nasty side of being prepared.

QuietShootr
10-15-09, 20:13
I keep a change in my truck as well. Seasonally dependent, but normally it's some nondescript earth-tone clothes like khaki BDU pants, UA gear, and a spare pair of Wellco deserts. Comfortable, not expensive enough to worry about, and inconspicuous if I have to leave the vehicle. If it's cold/wet season, I add a Goretex jacket and some kind of fleece pullover. Underarmor is the key to comfort in any season for me, though.

10-15-09, 21:19
IN- My brother! I owe you for one long good laugh. Camel toe in the rear! Instant classic. Hell, just a sticky with that as a title would be epic.

Watch out for the shit in dark places while in the box. You are well aware of how haj likes to shit in a dark place. Rear camel toe is no help. Just stay away from the camel rear.:p:p It is NOT as good as.

subzero
10-15-09, 21:37
I keep a change of clothes in the car at all times, mainly so if I get soaked on the way into or at work I have something to change into. Cargo pants, t-shirt, hoodie and 2 pairs of socks. I HATE wearing wet socks. I used to keep a spare pair of boots in there but never used'em, so out they went. I keep a Bass Pro special rain suit and a spare baseball cap in there as well.

After reading this, I'll probably add a polo, a UA undershirt and the pair of boots back in. Perhaps a soft shell to replace the hoodie.

PA PATRIOT
10-16-09, 10:56
Everything I carry is out of my "seconds" collection which is pretty much anything more than a couple years old so it is all broken-in. No reason to spend $200 on something that will sit in a pack.

2nd that,

It gives me a excuse to go buy the latest outer wear as some how I just don't seem to have any clothes in my closet (Maybe in my Pack) but not in my closet. I keep two vac-sealed packs, one for summer and one for winter clothes and I swap out the bags Oct-1 and May-21

rob_s
10-16-09, 11:12
I have several pairs of original Royal Robbins pants that could easily go in this kit. There are some environments where I think they are a little too "tactical" looking, but they'd do in a pinch.

Probably a solid-color polo from Old Navy which I think are something like 15 bucks. Maybe a grey or something. Don't want to pair anything with the RR pants that will combine to look to tactical, but green might be a nice choice.

I'm also in need of a new pair of hiking boots, so maybe the old pair of Vasques could just live in the truck.

Then throw in the UA gear that I already have and I should be good. Vaccuum sealer can do double duty as we want to start freezing more food anyway, and they make for faster marinating times and more thorough soaking. :D

10-16-09, 12:15
Rob- Vasque makes a good boot. Have had good results with several pairs that were used hard. Make sure you don't marinate a shirt.

Spiffums
10-16-09, 20:58
Change of clothes and a sheet or something to cover the seat.

Picture a young man on a construction site with a brand new Ranger pickup. It was soo brand new I watched them back it off the truck.

It came a flash flood in the form I was working in and I was covered from head to toe in red clay mud. Even my underwear was muddy.

Bless my mom for thinking about "saw dust" on my clothes. I wore that flowery bed sheet home and prayed I didn't get stopped by the police and have to explain why I was wearing a bed sheet.

Beat Trash
10-17-09, 08:04
I think a change of cloths (seasonal dependent) including an old, but still serviceable, pair of hiking boots, is a good idea.

As many have mentioned, it could come in handy for many of life's non-SHTF moments.

ST911
10-17-09, 11:52
Having a change of clothes is handy, as is having some basic hygiene products. SHTF/TEOTWAWKI nonsense aside, think about having a kid throw up on you at a sports stadium, breaking down in an unfamiliar town and having to stay overnight waiting for a car part, getting stuck at a remote truckstop in a blizzard, or needing something to get home from an ER in after your clothese were cut off in an MVA.

One can get an awful lot of comfort out of a small backpack, making a little adversity quite tolerable.

andre3k
10-17-09, 18:40
Great thread...for us that single and dating there's nothing like having a hoe bag in the vehicle for a quick change of clothes.

Naxet1959
10-17-09, 21:05
As a member of a CERT team, I carry an old but comfortable cargo pants, a comfortable t-shirt, socks, underwear and a set of running shoes past age in miles but still good to go. They're not so much for CERT activities as just spares should I have a flat and need to get in the mud when dressed in a suit. I also have a rain suit for this as well.

None of this was purchased new as I'm too cheap but also that not knowing when I'll use them, I want to be comfortable. It most likely won't be a time to break in new clothes...:)

NinjaTactics
02-18-10, 01:41
Here's what I'm using as backup change in trunk of car:
1 pair khaki tactical pants (will probably be replaced with the discounted black Vertx pants (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=47108) once my order arrives)
1 'convertible' long sleeve button up shirt (long sleeve that can roll up and button sleeves to make short sleeve; I own and would recommend good quick drying and lightweight ones are made by North Face, ExOfficio (http://www.exofficio.com/product_results.aspx?category%7Cmens_shirts_longsleeve=Long%20Sleeve%20Shirts&canned_results_trigger=&category_id=mens_shirts_longsleeve&AnswersPerPage=43), or Columbia (http://www.columbia.com/mens-long-sleeve-shirts/men-shirts-longsleeve,default,sc.html))
2 pairs dark athletic performance socks (whatever your preference, but make sure they're moisture wicking and quick drying; I'm using adidas which I think breathe better than UA)
1 pair ExOfficio Give-N-Go boxers (http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1241-0020&key=817a870c-a021-4aab-9525-a503eaee25ff) (these are lightweight and very fast drying, and are by far the best underwear I've seen and better and more useful than the UA stuff; I'm currently converting to only use these)
1 pair dark New Balance trail running shoes

With that single change of clothes I can walk into a business casual environment, a restaraunt, or go hiking in the forest. That's the best that I've come up with as far as being multipurpose yet retaining all the features of stuff I use in everyday life. I plan on throwing another set of the above (minus shoes) into my BOB. With 2 pairs of ExOfficio underwear (one on your person, one in BOB) you can go indefintely (just rinse one in sink at night and let dry for a couple of hours and rotate as frequently as you'd like or need), and the same goes for traveling for extended periods of time with 2 pairs of ExOfficio underwear.

M4Fundi
02-18-10, 04:08
shovel
2 sets gloves
balaclava
watch cap
Arctic carharrt Jacket
Flanel Carhart pants
Danner boots
2 warm socks
minus 30 sleep bag
Very sharp hatchet
emergency pack with food, fire, stove,1st aid kit, coffe, sugar, espresso maker, etc.
compass
maps
batteries
2 hand lights
spare mags
spare folding knife
Leatherman Wave
glasses
2 Headlamps
Fanny Pack with 44Mag Mountain Gun and 2 spare speedloaders of Corbon 300gr JSP
Pointing Dog Journals:p

2 sets of certain items that might come in handy so your buddy has no excuse to not help dig you out;)

When in Africa a different list...

fixer
03-04-10, 15:49
i've kept a change of clothes in the truck for quite a while. i don't worry about packing it in a bag or otherwise sealing it up because usually i just need socks or a shirt and not much more so loose in the pack is fine.

i keep 2 pairs of polypro socks, at least one t shirt, a surplus fleece "Spears" jacket that was $20 at a gunshow, aM65 field jacket (one of the few things in the truck that's some kind of camo) a watch cap, a baseball hat (one of the 99¢ ones from LApolicegear) leather work gloves that fit well, fleece gloves for cold weather and a spare pair of shades. i eneed to add a spare pair of cargo pants but they didn't get back in after the last time i used them. my daily wear belt is a Frequent Flyer from The Wilderness that was mentioned earlier. i also keep bottled water, toothbrush and toothpaste and a small bottle of mouthwash in the truck, plus the FAK, baby wipes, and other useful bits and pieces.

last time i needed a shirt was at work when i showed up dressed nice one day and then had to go dig in the warehouse.

unless you live in an area where camo is normal attire, i'd suggest something a little "grayer". i'd want to be able to wear the clothes from the pack at work all day or to the store without looking out of place.

even the pack is just a "normal" daypack in a subdued color.

orionz06
03-04-10, 19:31
I have found a spare set of clothes to be priceless on many occasions. I use a dry bag.

I always have an old pair of waterproof rocky boots and a pair of shoes.

4thPointOfContact
03-04-10, 22:33
Number one rule I learned when installing computer stuff in "new construction" always have a roll of toilet paper in the back. Too many times there's been none to be found.

Aside from that, I've always had one complete set of clothing as spare because sometimes you just wind up having to get into the crawlspace of someone's house and it's slick with 5yr old mud.

What is in the back of my Subaru right now is
a three-pack of brand new store-bought underwear
a three-pack of brand new socks
a four-pack of undershirts (couldn't find a threeper)
... all in store packaging, brand new.

The rest is just the usual, silly stuff we all imagine we Might need one day and hope we never do - -
poncho with liner
spare boots (jungle boots for me since they pack down nicely)
empty Nalgene bottle with a "survival straw"
couple packages of instant food
arms, ammunition, load bearing stuff

without arms/ammo it comes down to just about 20lbs and one bag.