PDA

View Full Version : LMT vs. CMT?

Shihan
02-25-07, 22:48
How would you compare them to each other?

tikkafan
02-25-07, 23:54
Invest in a good barrel and then get the components you're willing to afford. As long as they are in spec, and put together by someone that knows what they are doing it should be fine.

You'd be hard pressed to find a meaningful difference between mil-spec parts made by CMT and LMT. This excludes anything 'enchanced.'

Barrels are a different story however. LMT is in a different league from CMT (Stag). Different steel, different purpose.

In my opinion your best bet is to go for a BCM or GTS barrel and CMT upper. Quality parts and you aren't really paying the 'Name Brand' premium.

AR-15A3
02-26-07, 00:28
I have both LMT and CMT uppers and both are about equal if there's nothing wrong with them from the factory.

The only difference I could think of for now is that LMT don't sell separate upper receivers anymore, they only sell complete barreled assembly upper half, but you might find some rare take offs upper receivers somewhere.

So if you're planning on a build get the CMT upper receiver, a good quality chromemoly vanadium steel Mil-Spec type barrel with chrome lining, you could either build your own lower receivers from stripped Stag Arms and lower parts kit or just buy them built by the factory (it's up to you).

FYI GlobalTactical.com also sells their lower version with their own markings of the Stag Arms/ CMT lowers, they're available stripped, assembled without or with any stock you prefer.

You'll also need a few special tools to build your upper, like an action block, armorers barrel wrench, a shop vise on a bench.

For the lower you need only a special carbine stock wrench, for everything else just your common tools like pin punches, pliers, screwdrivers, small hammer, etc.

It took me about 33 years of AR experience before I built my first AR and now two years later I already built four and working on my fifth build. :)

comp1911
02-26-07, 09:44
As far as receivers and small parts go, they are pretty much the same. I can say that the LMT stuff I've had was much worse in the fit/finish department the the CMT stuff.

LMT barrels are 4150 where the standard CMT stuff is 4140 but CMT has done special runs of 4150 barrels. The LMT barrels I've had were not parked under the FSB and used straight pins. The park issue bothers me from a corrosion stand point.

I to would go with a GTS Operator or a BCM barrel when they are available. Sabre looks like they have a good product as well.

EDinFL
02-26-07, 15:33
What does BCM,CMT, and GTS stand for?

graffex
02-26-07, 15:44
What does BCM,CMT, and GTS stand for?

Bravo Company Manufacturing
Continenal Machine & Tool
Global Tactical Supply

Shihan
02-26-07, 21:14
I know that LMT uses a higher grade of steel in their barells, im sure its in the barell FAQ and I missed it but does anyone know how many rounds 4150 and 4140 will run on average?

Thanks

comp1911
02-27-07, 07:52
Bravo Company Manufacturing
Continenal Machine & Tool
Global Tactical Supply

:eek: :D ;)