PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! Got a new lens for my camera!

C4IGrant
10-15-09, 15:15
I am like a kid on Christmas! I finally got a telephoto zoom lens (Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM).

I have been wanting to take my camera along with me on my varmint shooting adventures because of all the wildlife that walks near us, but did not have a lens that could get me close enough. Now I do. :D

Grabbed the lens and found a cat walking in my field at over 200yds and snapped a pic. Man this thing is great.......

NOTE If you are not a camera person, just ignore my post.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Canon_telephoto.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Cat_Field.jpg

Stickman
10-15-09, 15:18
The IS system really comes in handy with the longer focal lengths. You should enjoy that lens, it covers a good spectrum, and I use 150-200mm indoors all the time.

C4IGrant
10-15-09, 15:21
The IS system really comes in handy with the longer focal lengths. You should enjoy that lens, it covers a good spectrum, and I use 150-200mm indoors all the time.

Cool. I was torn between the IS model and DO model.

Shooting a camera is really almost as fun as shooting a gun for me.

C4

Nathan_Bell
10-15-09, 15:37
Shouldn't you be using the resources you put towards the lense for groundhg defenses? :D

That cat picture taken from the top of the hill?

Stickman
10-15-09, 17:21

C4

I think you made the right choice in not getting the DO. Its nice, and not that many people are running around with the "green ring" (red ring shows L glass/ green ring shows DO), but IS makes a massive difference in many types of shooting.

Unless I'm shooting in the studio, I leave IS switched on all the time.

bulbvivid
10-15-09, 21:12
Getting new camera gear is almost as good as new gun gear. Especially with new lenses, because they give the camera more capability and flexibility, like putting laser beams on a shark's head. It makes a familiar camera a new experience again.

I bet the IS helps quite a bit for handheld shots with that thing fully extended.

I've been needing a couple of decent zooms for a while, but I have only prime lenses now (the 28 1.8, the 50 1.4, and the 100 2.8 macro) and I'm hooked on those wide open apertures. So I keep telling myself I need the 70-200 2.8 L. But that kind of money buys a lot of ammo and such, so the lens keeps getting pushed down the list.

Have fun with it.

Jason

MarshallDodge
10-15-09, 21:46
Congrats on your new acquisition.

I jumped into the DSLR realm this year with a Canon. My old camera was a sub DSLR Fuji S5000 which is still running great with over 10K photos taken.

Robb Jensen
10-15-09, 21:52
My Canon 28-135mm Image Stab. lenses needs repair already....it won't auto focus anymore. I hope this isn't normal for a less than 2yr old lenses.

theJanitor
10-15-09, 21:57
i've seen alot of 28-135's go TU, including one of mine.

Robb Jensen
10-15-09, 22:26
i've seen alot of 28-135's go TU, including one of mine.

Good to know, it's going back to Canon...

Impact
10-15-09, 23:29
love my Nikon IS as well :)

Ak44
10-16-09, 00:05
Congrats on the new toy/accessory. Photography is a very expensive hobby, I use to have a Canon Rebel XT w/ a Tamron lens. Needless to say I gave up photography to pursue scuba and class III :D

OutlawDon
10-16-09, 00:22
Awesome!

I have a Sigma 70-300mm for my Canon T1i and it's fun to shoot longer distances. I've rounded it out on the end of the spectrum with a Sigma 10-20mm for some cool ass wide angle stuff too.

littleshoe
10-16-09, 00:30
I got to shoot some pictures with my buddies DSLR while we were flying american flags over the palace. It was so fun and makes me want to buy one to play with. I am looking at getting a Canon EOS 50D

Stickman
10-16-09, 01:21
So I keep telling myself I need the 70-200 2.8 L.

Jason

The 70-200 2.8 IS L is a workhorse for me. I can't think of any lens that could replace it, but you are correct, its not a cheap lens.

45r
10-16-09, 10:31
The 70-200 2.8 IS L is a workhorse for me. I can't think of any lens that could replace it, but you are correct, its not a cheap lens.

Stick
The 70-200 2.8 IS L and the 17-40 F4L are my two favorite lenses. I use those two set ups to shoot about 90 percent of my photos.

Everyone else.
My 4 year old 28-135 IS USM has more clicks through it than I can remember. It was my very first lens. I had to send it back for a Err 99 issue once about a year ago after some HARD use. Hopefully Canon hasn't cut corners on it since its now a "kit" lens.

Grant
Congrats on the new lens. The next telephoto lens I am aiming for is the 100-400 L with IS for airshows!

45R

rat31465
10-16-09, 10:32
I use to shoot a Canon 35mm SLR and my all time favorite lens for that camera was a 70-210mm Macro Zoom. I loved the versatility this lens offered for close up to distance. I also had a 100-300mm Telephoto that just never did get much camera time.
Have fun with your new toy.

C4IGrant
10-16-09, 10:34
Is anyone running a Polarizing filter on their lens? I bought one to play with to see what it would do (or not do).

Below are two pics I took. I cannot really tell too much of a difference.

C4

Filter not used
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/None_Polarized_Pic.jpg

Filter used
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Polarized_Pic.jpg

bulbvivid
10-16-09, 10:35

I'll have one someday, it's just a bit down on the list. And though I've never used one, I have a feeling it is, for the most part, worth the money.

C4IGrant
10-16-09, 10:49
Stick
The 70-200 2.8 IS L and the 17-40 F4L are my two favorite lenses. I use those two set ups to shoot about 90 percent of my photos.

Everyone else.
My 4 year old 28-135 IS USM has more clicks through it than I can remember. It was my very first lens. I had to send it back for a Err 99 issue once about a year ago after some HARD use. Hopefully Canon hasn't cut corners on it since its now a "kit" lens.

Grant
Congrats on the new lens. The next telephoto lens I am aiming for is the 100-400 L with IS for airshows!

45R

Thanks.

Something I found interesting is that there were two options for the lense I bought. You could get one made in the US or one made overseas. The US one was more money.

Mine was made in Japan.

C4

bulbvivid
10-16-09, 10:53
Is anyone running a Polarizing filter on their lens? I bought one to play with to see what it would do (or not do).

If I'm not mistaken (I'm sure someone here can explain it better than I can), the polarizing filter is going to make more difference in sunlight, and it has something to do with the angle of the light in relation to the lens. They "work by suppressing surface reflections from non-metallic objects, by blocking the rays. The amount of suppression depends on the angle of the reflected light, the rotation of the filter and the amount of polarisation. You also see an increase in colour saturation as the glare caused by the surface reflections often lightens the subject."

Wikipedia has a little on it: Photo Filters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter) Here's another decent link: Polarizers (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Polarisers--a-guide-to-using-polarizing-filters-4757)

I use mine quite a bit; I especially like it on those days of blue skies and puffy clouds.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3417&stc=1&d=1255707569

ra2bach
10-16-09, 10:53

C4

and I bet you appreciate really good glass in your magnified optics, don't ya???

I've got a Kahles scope (among others) and Nikon binoculars and I just love sitting around looking at things far away... :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-16-09, 11:00
Thanks.

Something I found interesting is that there were two options for the lense I bought. You could get one made in the US or one made overseas. The US one was more money.

Mine was made in Japan.

C4

Did you buy at B&H? I don't think any of the lenses are 'made' here in the states. B&H carries US Warranty and 'Gray' market versions of the same lens. I have never seen the price difference enough to make me want to try the gray model.

IIRC, you have to use a circular polarizer to get the AF to work.

I love my 70-200/2.8 IS. It lives on my 5DII. I wish it had longer reach sometimes for taking pics of the kids outside as they run around.

ra2bach
10-16-09, 11:09

Stick, a question about focal lengths in digital format.

I used to shoot quite a lot of film (mostly B&W Ilford) until I had my bag with two Canon bodies and four lenses, filters, flashes, remote, etc.., stolen at an airport several years ago.

Amazingly, I still have a couple of lenses left - one being a 28-105 USM and I wondered if these lenses would work with the new DSLR bodies?

and if they do, is the aspect the same as if it was on 35MM film?

ra2bach
10-16-09, 11:18
The next telephoto lens I am aiming for is the 100-400 L with IS for airshows!

45R

wow! I bet that's gonna lighten your pocket a little....

btw, even with IS, do you still need a tripod at 400 length?

bulbvivid
10-16-09, 11:24
Stick, a question about focal lengths in digital format.

I used to shoot quite a lot of film (mostly B&W Ilford) until I had my bag with two Canon bodies and four lenses, filters, flashes, remote, etc.., stolen at an airport several years ago.

Amazingly, I still have a couple of lenses left - one being a 28-105 USM and I wondered if these lenses would work with the new DSLR bodies?

and if they do, is the aspect the same as if it was on 35MM film?

I'm sure Stick can give more info, but the lens should work given the same mount (were the old ones FD mounts or something? Never shot film).

The only full-frame Canon is the 5D (if I'm not mistaken); the rest have smaller sensors that crop some of the photo. So a 50mm lens on a sensor 1.6 times smaller gives a field of view equivalent to an 80mm lens on a full-frame (35mm) sensor. I'm pulling this info from the little camera knowledge cloud in my head, so I may be off a little on the numbers.

Edit: Looks like the 1Ds Mark III has a full-frame sensor as well.

theJanitor
10-16-09, 12:17

i love my 2.8 IS-L, and after playing with a buddy's extender, i'm convinced that's the way to get really far out for reasonable money

C4IGrant
10-16-09, 12:21
Did you buy at B&H? I don't think any of the lenses are 'made' here in the states. B&H carries US Warranty and 'Gray' market versions of the same lens. I have never seen the price difference enough to make me want to try the gray model.

IIRC, you have to use a circular polarizer to get the AF to work.

I love my 70-200/2.8 IS. It lives on my 5DII. I wish it had longer reach sometimes for taking pics of the kids outside as they run around.

B&H WAS the one advertising it.

C4

Leonidas
10-17-09, 12:45
Grant, did you try rotating the polarizer until you could see a difference? Usually works best with the sun at your back or at an angle.

Stickman
10-17-09, 13:09
Stick

The next telephoto lens I am aiming for is the 100-400 L with IS for airshows!

45R

The 17-40L sees a lot of time on my crop body cameras for some reason, though from time to time I through it on the FF body. My copy is very sharp, as is the 24-105L copy that lives on the 1DS3.

I've shot a bunch of catalog and print work with the 100-400L, it works well, though I wish it had a more current IS system.

Stickman
10-17-09, 13:19
I'm sure Stick can give more info, but the lens should work given the same mount (were the old ones FD mounts or something? Never shot film).

The only full-frame Canon is the 5D (if I'm not mistaken); the rest have smaller sensors that crop some of the photo. So a 50mm lens on a sensor 1.6 times smaller gives a field of view equivalent to an 80mm lens on a full-frame (35mm) sensor. I'm pulling this info from the little camera knowledge cloud in my head, so I may be off a little on the numbers.

Edit: Looks like the 1Ds Mark III has a full-frame sensor as well.

Any of the 1DS series cameras are full frame sensors. The 1D series are 1.3 crop bodies, and the rest of the Canon DSLR bodies are 1.6 crop. The 1.3 and 1.6 crop mean that a 100mm lens would function as a 130 or 160mm lens.

If the lenses were autofocus, they should work fine on the modern digital Canon bodies. I've got a few older Canon lenses from when I was shooting with a 620 and A2, and they work fine.

If you had an AE-1, the FD lenses will not work without an adapter, and even with an adapter they will be manual focus only.

I've use a 77mm B+W KS Circular Polarizer (MRC) that I use, it works well, but its not a cheap filter, and it has limitations. I've used it with everything from portrait work to weapons, nature and most anything else. You've got to rotate the filter and work the position of the sun if you expect to see impressive results, otherwise its acting as a ND filter and killing a stop or so for nothing.

US and import lens are made in the same place, its a matter of import and warrantee. There is no difference in functional or quality.

littleshoe
10-17-09, 14:38
I finally gave in and bought a Canon 50D.

C4IGrant
10-17-09, 15:44
Grant, did you try rotating the polarizer until you could see a difference? Usually works best with the sun at your back or at an angle.

Yep, sure did.

C4

C4IGrant
10-17-09, 15:46
Any of the 1DS series cameras are full frame sensors. The 1D series are 1.3 crop bodies, and the rest of the Canon DSLR bodies are 1.6 crop. The 1.3 and 1.6 crop mean that a 100mm lens would function as a 130 or 160mm lens.

If the lenses were autofocus, they should work fine on the modern digital Canon bodies. I've got a few older Canon lenses from when I was shooting with a 620 and A2, and they work fine.

If you had an AE-1, the FD lenses will not work without an adapter, and even with an adapter they will be manual focus only.

I've use a 77mm B+W KS Circular Polarizer (MRC) that I use, it works well, but its not a cheap filter, and it has limitations. I've used it with everything from portrait work to weapons, nature and most anything else. You've got to rotate the filter and work the position of the sun if you expect to see impressive results, otherwise its acting as a ND filter and killing a stop or so for nothing.

US and import lens are made in the same place, its a matter of import and warrantee. There is no difference in functional or quality.

Interesting. I wonder why they were charging more for the US one then.

C4

Robb Jensen
10-17-09, 15:46
I only ever use a polarizer filter is taking pics over water to get rid of some of the glare. The only filter I always use is the UV Haze one, mostly just to protect the surface of the lenses.

civilian
10-17-09, 17:20
I have to graduate to where you guys are at. Just picked up a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX lens from B&H for my D90. Heard good things about the build quality and low light capability and at $200, it doesn't cut too deeply into the gun fund!

Honu
10-17-09, 20:01
circ pol filters are great for many things

as said the water ;) the road or to darken bushes cut through windshields or glass
they can also be used when taking shots of your toys outside to make them less reflective getting better color or darker richer color

mostly sunny days or bright lights are where they work though :)

and congrats on the new toy :)

shadco
10-17-09, 20:31
US Lens US Warranty no hassles.

Grey market lens, warranty hassle not meant for US sales.

I agree with stick the 70-200 IS USM L f2.8 is one of the best lenses around.

I've also got a Sigma 120-300 F2.8 that is hard to beat.

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/69311688.jpg

mourneblade
10-17-09, 20:45
Shoot pictures of a pond, you can use it to get rid of the reflections. Nice for shots of fish. Basically you can get rid of most reflections with it.

C4

Filter not used
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/None_Polarized_Pic.jpg

Filter used
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Polarized_Pic.jpg

C4IGrant
10-18-09, 15:48
Took my oldest boy out for a Nature walk today and brought my new lens along.

Got some fantastic pics.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Three_Deer.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Two_Deer_Running.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Two_Deer_Running1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/Twins.jpg

Robb Jensen
10-18-09, 16:10
Venison....it's whats for dinner! :)

nfranco
10-18-09, 16:44
Nice piece of glass Grant,
Polarizers are a great tool, they can be used as stated, for eliminating /lessening reflections in water, also glass, getting a highlight off of shiny stuff, making clouds pop, darken the sky, making foliage a little brighter, making jewelry and watches and guns photograph a little better, you can move reflections around.
They're not magic it do not always work.They need to be played with a bit to achieve the desired effect.
Don't wear polarized glasses when adjusting, ah try it once for fun.
You generally don't want to eliminate all reflections from a pond or glass or it looks a bit odd, turn the pola to find what suits your taste.
For maximum effect on clouds or to darken the sky you want to be 90 degrees to the sun.
As stated B+W is expensive but one of the best, Schneider is a top brand, Tiffen is pretty good as well.
If you're shooting black and white(remember Tri-x?) a #25 red filter used in addition to a pola can give you black skies and brilliant clouds.
There are one stop polarizers if you need the stop but they don't give the best performance, we only use them when we're bottomed out on the stop.
On the USA vs. grey market deal the factory Canon support has always been great, quick repairs and good pricing on the non warranty stuff, both for the pro and consumer stuff, they even took my EOS 1n in for free a month after the warranty expired.
Personally the couple of bucks saved on the grey market stuff wouldn't be worth it.

C4IGrant
10-19-09, 09:36
Nice piece of glass Grant,
Polarizers are a great tool, they can be used as stated, for eliminating /lessening reflections in water, also glass, getting a highlight off of shiny stuff, making clouds pop, darken the sky, making foliage a little brighter, making jewelry and watches and guns photograph a little better, you can move reflections around.
They're not magic it do not always work.They need to be played with a bit to achieve the desired effect.
Don't wear polarized glasses when adjusting, ah try it once for fun.
You generally don't want to eliminate all reflections from a pond or glass or it looks a bit odd, turn the pola to find what suits your taste.
For maximum effect on clouds or to darken the sky you want to be 90 degrees to the sun.
As stated B+W is expensive but one of the best, Schneider is a top brand, Tiffen is pretty good as well.
If you're shooting black and white(remember Tri-x?) a #25 red filter used in addition to a pola can give you black skies and brilliant clouds.
There are one stop polarizers if you need the stop but they don't give the best performance, we only use them when we're bottomed out on the stop.
On the USA vs. grey market deal the factory Canon support has always been great, quick repairs and good pricing on the non warranty stuff, both for the pro and consumer stuff, they even took my EOS 1n in for free a month after the warranty expired.
Personally the couple of bucks saved on the grey market stuff wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks much. I have been enjoying it.

C4

Leonidas
10-19-09, 17:10
Here are about 22,000 photos taken with your model of lens from a photo storage site.
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_70-300_4-56_is_usm

I always like to look at photos others have taken with the same camera/lens to get an idea of what it is capable of or some inspirational ideas.

Carl