PDA

View Full Version : Hunting/Bolt/Precision gun weight?

SHIVAN
10-15-09, 15:33
I know that factory weight numbers never seem to tell the story on true gun weights. In fact, most of the time, I find the factory numbers are usually low all by themselves and then they never include ammo, sling, bipod, rings, optics, shooter cuff, etc.

Can people weigh their rifles, as fielded, and post them here?? Looking for 300 WinMag, 300WSM, and 308 Win specifically. Sporter weight would be preferred as I'd like to prep a hunting rig, but to make this thread more useful, all rifles can be included and I will sort out what I need.

ccoker
10-16-09, 10:16
I have been in the market for a light weight precision gun that will serve time hunting as well
after a lot of research I decided on a 700 LTR
found one locally that belongs to my FFL guy that's got a few hundred rounds down the pipe, properly broken in and a jewell trigger
they claim 7.5lbs
I will be putting a Kahles CL 3-10x50 and think I am going to use the Talley light weight mounts
will let you know what the total weighs

Artos
10-16-09, 20:45
Shivan,

What is the application / game?? This one is approaching the extreme side...I'm not into heavy magnums, but this has been one of the more interesting customs I have fondled in an ultra light mag hunter.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142954024

I have also shot and sold some consignment carbon from these guys:

http://www.christensenarms.com/ One was a 300 lazzeroni!!

In all honesty, I actually would rather carry a bit heavier gun (even in the mountains) like a standard sporter, as I can hold a bit more steady for the longer shots at 250+ with a bit more heft. Even with shooting sticks. YMMV but I simply cannot get into whippy hunting guns.

SHIVAN
10-16-09, 21:20
Application will be elk or big mule deer, but it's more a comparative exercise because I have some rifles, but would like to know what the real weight is for other guns before I decide to build, buy or modify current stuff.

I have a 338 Federal AR-10 that can do elk and mule deer, but it's heavy @ 12lbs with no ammo/mag.

Artos
10-16-09, 21:39
Application will be elk or big mule deer, but it's more a comparative exercise because I have some rifles, but would like to know what the real weight is for other guns before I decide to build, buy or modify current stuff.

I have a 338 Federal AR-10 that can do elk and mule deer, but it's heavy @ 12lbs with no ammo/mag.

The extreme bolt hunters would be the 7lb-8lb rifles with scope & ammo...12lbs+ would be too heavy for high altitude / long walks, not to mention the lack of AT&T ability w/ the 338. (really neat gun / round btw) Come down to s. tx and kill some hogs.

I don't have a good butcher scale but will weigh some guns for you tomorrow. Having said that, unless I was going on a type of trek where really long distances were the norm (mountain goats) or I was a full time guide and had no plans to shoot, I would focus my attention on the favorite round and any decent 300win or 300wby in a standard sporter will fit what you need. I would stay away from the short mags but do like the 7 mag and 7wby mag.

Bbl length / muzzle diameter come into play here. No reason to have an overbore round on a gun that cannot maximize the pills performance.

ccoker
10-16-09, 22:34
did my first range session this evening
worked up a few loads, stopped on #2, from the Sierra guide
43g of Varget, Federal brass (got Lapua in today) CCI BR primers and 165g Sierra Gameking BTSP, 2.80 COL

I may later try some hotter rounds, but these out shot the Federal Match, so..

the Jewell trigger is NICE and VERY light, I need to increase the weight, it's got to be down in the ounces.....

I am quite happy with the gun and hope to wack a hog over the weekend with it
4 shots (all I had of this load)

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1802/002ve.jpg

mark5pt56
10-17-09, 07:17
Shivan, I went with ths in 30-06, has a Leupold 3.5-10IL-I think it's plenty light, balances well and shoots great. You can chose a wide range of loads for it, especiallywith reloading. I know Remington has the 220 grain mushrooms for it-that would give you a heavy load for Elk.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR_specs.asp

I've seen some people with the 300 wm in a light gun-they don't enjoy it at all.

Mark

I saw this also-only in .308

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_xcr_compact_tactical.asp

I made this forme and then thought myson would like it. Never weighed it, shoots like a dream, that brake is the ticket-Holland quick discharge

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/100_0981.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/mark5pt56/002-1.jpg

Artos
10-17-09, 07:30
the Jewell trigger is NICE and VERY light, I need to increase the weight, it's got to be down in the ounces.....

While a jewell is not needed on a hunting gun, it sure is nice to be able to turn them down at the range and really test the gun on paper.

Tackling the 1.5oz BR trigger is quite amuzing the first time you fumble into them.
Here's my only screamer group I ever shot w/ a 6ppc. First 4 were in the same hole shooting as fast as I could & then a guest showed up. Took care of him and had a wind change. Took about 6-7 shots on the sighter with a hold that was over an inch from where the first 4 went & to get the confidence to let her go.

Cannot tell you how many 4 in and the 5th shot out to make a figure eight:mad: I think it's the reason my hair began to fall out.

SHIVAN
10-17-09, 11:32
I've seen some people with the 300 wm in a light gun-they don't enjoy it at all.

Yeah, I was considering 30-06, but to be honest I want a caliber that I will be relatively certain will punch the front shoulder{s} on a mule deer AND a bull elk.

So I am looking for 300WM, 300WSM, 7RM, etc. The 338 Federal would do it, as it's close to a 7RM in energy and a tad better in sectional density, but there are not a lot of bolt guns available from the factory.

I'm considering the Tikka T3 Hunter or maybe having Krieger rebarrel 700ADL -> 700BDL conversion I did several years back.

HOWEVER, if I end up with a 9lb loaded Tikka or Remington, with ammo, shooter cuff, sling, rings, optic, etc. I might consider having the 22" AR-10 cut to 20" and fluted, as well as maybe going to a lighter stock than the A2, and maybe a lighter rail.

That's why I think a weight comparison of FIELD READY rifles would be a good thread for discussion purposes.

I humped the 22" AR-10 338 Federal @ 4980' for antelope two years ago, and the Vickers sling made it pretty easy to carry all day. However, 12lbs+ is not ideal as we've already covered.

A new Tikka T3 is about $600.

Rebarrel a Rem700 is about $800 to do right.

Fluting & chopping an AR10 is probably about $500 max.

ETA: I believe a 30-06 is capable of taking an elk - though not ideal. However, two of my hunting crew do not believe it's adequate. I'd hate to lose an elk, and then get the "I told you so..." bullshiite...

SethB
10-17-09, 11:59
You could rebarrel a Kimber 84M in 338 Federal...

SHIVAN
10-17-09, 12:06
You could rebarrel a Kimber 84M in 338 Federal...

They're sold new with the 338 Federal chambering available. They are in the $1000 range though.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-17-09, 12:46
SHIVAN,

ETA: I believe a 30-06 is capable of taking an elk - though not ideal. However, two of my hunting crew do not believe it's adequate. I'd hate to lose an elk, and then get the "I told you so..." bullshiite...

I can't tell you how many of my decisions have been based on this logic. LOL.

I have a 308 Remington 700 youth with a Leupold Mark 2 and it comes out to 8.5 on the old bathroom scale.

Thomas M-4
10-17-09, 13:08
SHIVAN
I my self have considered of putting together a .338 fed bolt action for a general purpose hunting rifle I have not completely thought it through has of yet. But I was considering using the FN model 70 action CDNN is advertising a complete bolt action less stock and barrel for $349 have I would like to have the barrel length around 20'' and maybe using a hightech-specialties stock. Any way it was just an Idea . g

Artos
10-17-09, 20:29
Shivan....I picked out my two favorite rifles.

One is a custom .280AI built by Jim Borden. 26" Hart bbl on a 700 with a 6.5-20 leupy and McMillan stcok in the winchester marksman design. obviously sit and wait applications. 10.6lbs on the bathroom scale. 140gr loads.

#2 is my greatgrandmother's gun and what I use for walking / rattling. Has probably killed more big game than anything else in my safe combined. It's what the 700 was born from. A remmy 722 in .257 roberts with a 2.5-8 leupy. 8.4lbs. 120gr loads

Anyway, do not let anyone spook you from the 30-06 / .270 / .280 case....with todays solid x x x and bonded pills, they will punch through an elk. Having said that, I like your thinking of the slow and heavy .338 & other rounds like 348 winchester. They are a great with traditional controled expansion bullets. I would prefer you make it on a bolt than lose velocity by cutting down the AR platform to save weight.

Hope to see some follow up LDP's after your hunt.