PDA

View Full Version : Took the Plunge My New DDM4

bubba04
10-15-09, 16:32
I was able to pick this up NIB from a local dealer http://www.ar15-ar15.com/M4_CARBINE_Daniel_Defense_M4_Carbine_s/79.htm for 1295 + Tax. I had been debating about the DDM4 and the 6920, but at this price I didn't think I could pass it up. I just need to figure out what I am going to do with the $250 DD gift card.

I think I am going to want to pick up a CTR or UBR stock, a BAD whenever they are easy to track down. and a BCM charging handle. I will also look at picking up a need pistol grip.

I field stripped it and look forward to taking it to the range.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/jbg3-1.jpg

Chuck TX
10-15-09, 16:52
That's a fine looking rifle you have there. :D

bubba04
10-15-09, 17:58
Does anyone shoot wolf steel ammo through their gun, or see a problem with this?

shadco
10-15-09, 18:50
Does anyone shoot wolf steel ammo through their gun, or see a problem with this?

Are you going to defend yourself with Wolf??

I like to shoot what I would use. I've been shooting Black Hills 75 gr MHP

bubba04
10-15-09, 19:43
Are you going to defend yourself with Wolf??

I like to shoot what I would use. I've been shooting Black Hills 75 gr MHP

Nope, most likely I will be using mil surp ammo. I just want to find something cheap to plink with. However I am worried about the carbon/poly residue being deposited on the chamber from the steel cased ammo.

shadco
10-15-09, 20:59
BTW congrats on the DDM4 I love mine.

Have you thought about a riser for the eotech?

bubba04
10-15-09, 21:16
BTW congrats on the DDM4 I love mine.

Have you thought about a riser for the eotech?

I really havent since it already it is the 557 model with the raised 7mm base. However it may make since raising it up more. Whats your thoughts?

Sam
10-15-09, 21:25
Congratulations, you've made a wise decision.

Before you go spend a bunch of money replacing parts, shoot the heck out of the gun and get the feel of it. You may find that you don't need to throw any more money at it, it might be good to go as is.

shadco
10-15-09, 21:44
I really havent since it already it is the 557 model with the raised 7mm base. However it may make since raising it up more. Whats your thoughts?

I thought it was a 512.

bubba04
10-16-09, 06:27
Congratulations, you've made a wise decision.

Before you go spend a bunch of money replacing parts, shoot the heck out of the gun and get the feel of it. You may find that you don't need to throw any more money at it, it might be good to go as is.

Thanks, that is my plan. I can only afford ammo right now. :eek:

John_Wayne777
10-16-09, 06:56
Nope, most likely I will be using mil surp ammo. I just want to find something cheap to plink with. However I am worried about the carbon/poly residue being deposited on the chamber from the steel cased ammo.

Don't be. In this market get whatever ammo you can and try it out. Odds are the DDM4 will handle it just fine.

00leland00
10-16-09, 07:48
Good score. If you want, pm me and I'll let you know how to tell if I built it or not. :D

Eric
10-16-09, 07:56
Nice rig.
No. You do not want a riser with the 557, as it will be too high with the included 7mm elevated base. Wolf should run fine in it. However, you might want to use a decent quality brass cased ammo for the first few hundred rounds to get it broken in.

lovetashoot
10-16-09, 08:04
Wolf runs just fine in my DDM4. In fact, I have not had any trouble with my carbine regardless of the ammo I have been shooting.

Detmongo
10-16-09, 08:54
bubba
i won't worry to much about steel cased ammo. i had some concerns myself about using it, but last week i conducted a class and observed at least 13k of hornaday 55 gr fmj go down range w/o any issues. just understand the carbines used for this course are school guns and not in the best of shape. the only issue i observed on my portion of the class was lack of lube. once the guns were wet down properly they ran fine with the steel cased ammo.

Fringe
10-16-09, 08:56
Don't be. In this market get whatever ammo you can and try it out. Odds are the DDM4 will handle it just fine.

Yes, don't sweat it. I ran a case of Wolf through my DDM4 at my last carbine class. No issue what so ever. Not that this is totally ammo related, but I won the quick draw steel shoot with the stuff at the same class.

ra2bach
10-16-09, 11:37
I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace that MOE stock with a CTR. for $50 more you get QD and a locking mech. in case your stock rattles. rather, I'd spring for an ACS if you like Magpul or an Emod if you don't. nice stick, btw...

10-16-09, 11:43
Good buy friend. I hope it brings many days of happy shooting. Let us know how she does.

Vash1023
10-16-09, 12:48
congrats on the buy, its a great rifle.

i love my ddm4.

bubba04
10-16-09, 21:01
Thanks for all the replies and the tips. I would like to eventually replace the MOE stock to one that doesn’t rattle. If I do this I probably will put the MOE on my M&P gun.

I probably will put some steel ammo down the tube to see how she functions with it, however my main concern is excessive polymer/carbon build up from the spent shells. Does anyone know the best way to remove this residue?

Exporter
10-16-09, 21:48
Good job on the rifle!

Only thing you REALLY need (unless its hiding somewhere) is a good sling, then a light when money permits. Otherwise, its beautiful as-is... :D

bubba04
10-17-09, 09:29
One of these days I do plan on getting a sling and flashlight. The big question will be which sling will be right for me. The research never ends....

rjacobs
10-17-09, 12:42
I like my Magpul MS2 on my DDM4. However make sure you get the ASAP plate. I was using mine originally on a QD attachment on the DD receiver end plate and it just didnt work that well, not nearly as well as it does on the ASAP plate.

Heavy Metal
10-17-09, 14:02
Good choice.

Hayduke
10-17-09, 22:20
i've been kicking around replacing the QD mount on my DDM4 with an ASAP plate as i use MS2's on my rifles.

question for the other DDM4 owners: are your rifles TIGHT MOFOS? it's starting to loosen some but i still have to use a punch to break her open....otherwise i'm very impressed with this stick right out of the box!

rjacobs
10-18-09, 09:53
i've been kicking around replacing the QD mount on my DDM4 with an ASAP plate as i use MS2's on my rifles.

question for the other DDM4 owners: are your rifles TIGHT MOFOS? it's starting to loosen some but i still have to use a punch to break her open....otherwise i'm very impressed with this stick right out of the box!

The rear pin is easy to get out, the front is a bit harder. Neither are loose by any means though.

bubba04
10-18-09, 10:54
The rear pin is easy to get out, the front is a bit harder. Neither are loose by any means though.

Thats how mine is.

m4userforlife
10-18-09, 13:08
Awesome weapon, congrats on your new purchase.

trojanman
10-18-09, 17:40
Bubba or anyone else, I just got my DDM4 today and the buffer is not stamped with the H. Is yours?

bubba04
10-18-09, 18:11
That is weird.

I just checked mine and it is.

texag
10-19-09, 00:32
Bubba or anyone else, I just got my DDM4 today and the buffer is not stamped with the H. Is yours?

Mine isn't, serial number is in the 300 range.

rjacobs
10-19-09, 08:38

Mine is and its in the low 1000 range.

trojanman
10-19-09, 10:40
I think Ill contact them. Thanks

TRUST8383
10-19-09, 13:28
congrats on the great find! Awesome price! especially with the black card!
I purchased my DDM4 $200 over what you spent, and 1 week too early for the black card promo! hahaha SOB! Oh well, I still love this rifle. :D

have fun shooting!

PS-grab a case of .223 from palmetto state armory ($339) and a 10-pack of pmags from DSGarms ($89.95) and shoot the hell out of her, haha.

bubba04
10-19-09, 16:49
congrats on the great find! Awesome price! especially with the black card!
I purchased my DDM4 $200 over what you spent, and 1 week too early for the black card promo! hahaha SOB! Oh well, I still love this rifle. :D

have fun shooting!

PS-grab a case of .223 from palmetto state armory ($339) and a 10-pack of pmags from DSGarms ($89.95) and shoot the hell out of her, haha.

I bought 10 pmags in anticipation of the gun! I need to get some ammo now....I am hoping to take it out tomorrow.

What do you plan on doing with your Black Card?

eng208
10-20-09, 14:55
Great price, great rifle. I have one of the early models, 58x sn stamped Savannah. I love mine and Wolf is no problem. I only have about 400 rds through mine (it is pretty much my "elite" rifle and I tested it and put it in standby for the time being) but 150 of that was Wolf MC ammo. No problems. Good build and best I can tell our forum member 00leland00 built mine.
BTW, I was HAPPY to get mine late summer at 1340 with no Black card.
Eng208

00leland00
10-21-09, 08:33
eng208, glad you like it. :cool:

Icculus
10-21-09, 12:54
bubba04; congrats on the purchase. I think you'll be very happy. I don't get to shoot as much as I would like but I've put about 1500 rounds through my DDM4 since I got it around May (no black card special then :( but I still love the rifle) and not a single issue. Enjoy

As for the black card thats a tough one. With a XV its kind of a no brainer I think to get an Omega rail. Since you got the DDM4 already complete with a super rail its a tougher choice. If you think building another rifle may be in your future then I would say use the credit toward parts for that. Either an Omega rail or a LPK and BCG

Rainman_GA
10-21-09, 17:51

I shoot it quite a bit, but the chamber in my rifle has to be cleaned afterward. Otherwise, the next time I take it out, I get cases stuck in the chamber (which have to be tapped out from the muzzle using a cleaning rod). My Mini-14 (nor my buddy's AR15) never has this problem, so it's firearm dependent.

rjacobs
10-21-09, 18:38
I shoot it quite a bit, but the chamber in my rifle has to be cleaned afterward. Otherwise, the next time I take it out, I get cases stuck in the chamber (which have to be tapped out from the muzzle using a cleaning rod). My Mini-14 (nor my buddy's AR15) never has this problem, so it's firearm dependent.

Is this in a DDM4 or another brand of gun?

rifleman2000
10-21-09, 19:06

My experience with Wolf was extreme inaccuracy, plus dirty. I won't use it, if only for the accuracy problems.

Rainman_GA
10-21-09, 19:48
Is this in a DDM4 or another brand of gun?

Naaahhh...wish it was. S&W lower & unknown upper. Shoots everything else flawlessly. Shoots Wolf flawlessly as long as I clean it afterwards.

rjacobs
10-21-09, 19:52
My experience with Wolf was extreme inaccuracy, plus dirty. I won't use it, if only for the accuracy problems.

Is this through a DDM4?

Naaahhh...wish it was. S&W lower & unknown upper.

Please dont take offense to this.

Your shooting of wolf through a different rifle has nothing to do with shooting wolf through a DDM4, which this thread is about.

Rainman_GA
10-22-09, 13:32
Is this through a DDM4?

Your shooting of wolf through a different rifle has nothing to do with shooting wolf through a DDM4, which this thread is about.

You're right. And you know what? Anyone else's experience of Wolf in a DDM4 will have practically nothing to do with your experience, either. It's gun, not brand of gun, dependent. Now if it was total crap ammo, it might have relevance to *any* brand of rifle.

rifleman2000
10-23-09, 09:02
You're right. And you know what? Anyone else's experience of Wolf in a DDM4 will have practically nothing to do with your experience, either. It's gun, not brand of gun, dependent. Now if it was total crap ammo, it might have relevance to *any* brand of rifle.

Disagree. Crappy ammo is crappy ammo and may shoot *better* in some guns, but it is crappy ammo and will generally shoot worse than quality ammo in ALL guns.

Wolf is crappy ammo.

ETA: Brand does count, by the way. That is how manufacturers market certain models as sub MOA, etc. Unless you get a defective gun, quality rifles from the same manufacturer will shoot very similarly. Also, quality rifles of the same specs from different manufacturers will probably shoot very similarly.

rifleman2000
10-23-09, 09:04
Is this through a DDM4?

It was through a Colt 1/7 20" barrel, which is very accurate with military 55 grain ball (M193). I shot some Wolf 55 grain.

See post above, but I don't buy 'different gun'. Wolf is crappy. It shoots crappy.

perna
10-23-09, 09:19
Naaahhh...wish it was. S&W lower & unknown upper.

Did you find the upper on the street?

G-2
10-23-09, 13:16
Great looking AR, we never shoot wolf out of any of our rifles or pistols, nice looking AR.

rifleman2000
10-23-09, 17:22
Great looking AR, we never shoot wolf out of any of our rifles or pistols, nice looking AR.

Hahahaha. Nice summary.

texag
10-23-09, 18:58
Wolf shoots fine out of mine, not that accurate, but functions fine.

bubba04
10-24-09, 10:23
I finally had time to take it to the range today and it was a blast to shoot. I think I now officially have the M4 bug, because now I want to build a SBR and a SPR one day.

I shot 140 rounds of monarch steel cased ammo and 20 rounds of brass. I was real curious to see if there was excessive carbon deposits on the brass from the prior shooting of the steel. I didn't see anything on the brass, however I didn't shoot much steel through her.

I think for the future I will stick to brown bear and brass surplus. Thanks for everyone's help on the forum. I Would have ended up with a RR M4 if I didn't find the chart.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/DSC_0178.jpg

Blackjack78
10-24-09, 12:32
bubba
i won't worry to much about steel cased ammo. i had some concerns myself about using it, but last week i conducted a class and observed at least 13k of hornaday 55 gr fmj go down range w/o any issues. just understand the carbines used for this course are school guns and not in the best of shape. the only issue i observed on my portion of the class was lack of lube. once the guns were wet down properly they ran fine with the steel cased ammo.

Hey bro,

I knew a dude, a good one at that, that used the name Mongo? Initials F.A.? I was wondering if perhaps you may be his son.

gfunx2000
10-25-09, 10:31
I was having issues with my DDM4 failing to extract Wolf ammo.
I assumed that it was the ammo. I just ran my DDM4 at the 5 Day TigerSwan class using UMC ammo. First day of class I started having major issues up to the point that it was failing to extract every 2-3 rounds. I changed out the extractor on it and it ran like a dream the rest of the class. Ran another 1600 or so rounds through it in the next 4 days with no cleaning, and the only malfunctions i had were caused by shooting from strange positions with the ejection port a couple of inches off the ground.
I am curious to try it with wolf again and see if that wasn't the problem all along instead of the ammo. I'd still rather not shoot wold though, but I've got a few hundred rounds of it sitting around.

texag
10-25-09, 22:05
I was having issues with my DDM4 failing to extract Wolf ammo.
I assumed that it was the ammo. I just ran my DDM4 at the 5 Day TigerSwan class using UMC ammo. First day of class I started having major issues up to the point that it was failing to extract every 2-3 rounds. I changed out the extractor on it and it ran like a dream the rest of the class. Ran another 1600 or so rounds through it in the next 4 days with no cleaning, and the only malfunctions i had were caused by shooting from strange positions with the ejection port a couple of inches off the ground.
I am curious to try it with wolf again and see if that wasn't the problem all along instead of the ammo. I'd still rather not shoot wold though, but I've got a few hundred rounds of it sitting around.

I had the same problems with mine, was having FTEs with brass and steel. Sent it back to DD and they replaced the extractor. It ran fine yesterday, but I only put 150 rounds of wolf through it.

bubba04
10-25-09, 22:13
How about those fighting Texas Aggies last night?

texag
10-26-09, 09:10
How about those fighting Texas Aggies last night?

I'm stoked they pulled it off, I was worried I'd graduate going 0-4 against the tards.