PDA

View Full Version : The Ballad of the M4 Carbine

Waggoneer
10-15-09, 20:55
Did a quick search and didn't see this posted anywhere.

http://www.blenderguru.com/the-ballad-of-the-m4-carbine/

Direct link

http://vimeo.com/7021918

geminidglocker
10-15-09, 22:09
That was kind of creepy actually. Ghost M4s with endless capacity magazine. I'll probably have Zombified M4 dreams tonight, Thanks Alot!!;)

tinman44
10-15-09, 22:45
please help me understand how to view these videos

karmapolice
10-15-09, 23:57
you don't have to be a member on vimeo to view videos at all, and even then its a free membership.

Surf
10-16-09, 01:33
I dig that the rifles were sending out fire in red, white and blue. :D

chadbag
10-16-09, 01:51
Some of the comments (on the video page) made me laugh at the ignorance.

eXistenZ
10-16-09, 02:38
Guy who made it has some sweet talent for sure, I think he could just use some help in the creativity department. I can visualize things that would make sweet videos but I don't have the know-how/talent to actually make it happen.

Mac5.56
10-16-09, 03:01
So as an artist (yes that's what I do), and an artist that makes work about global political realities, violent conflict, and consumer apathy (should I add to this that when I say "artist" I mean someone that actually has exhibitions in museums, meets state officials, ext?), I have to say two things:

Mad props to the dude for making a quality product regarding 3d computer graphics, and way to go with the choreography of the music and the imagery. Kid has props there, and he could get a decent internship.

Regarding the work: WTF. That was lame! Pathetic. Without concept, and hollow.

If you read his little message about why he made it, about being "political", you have to ask: What exactly about politics? That guns are cool?

geminidglocker
10-16-09, 09:43
It still creeps me out, and WTF with the 5 sided star made in Israel????? I'm befuddled:confused: Good point, about what's the point?

Waggoneer
10-16-09, 12:00
The Made in Israel thing confused me too. Are there any major M4 makers in Israel? Maybe he was thining about Magnum Research. Also, the front sight post was wrong/missing.

Obviously the artist doesn't know everything about M4s. But I don't want to nitpick, like I do when I watch most action movies. "Hey that guy fired 10 rounds out of a revolver!"

I think the political thing was not saying that guns are "cool" but that they can be beautiful. Many people try and demonize guns, and only a few afficionados actually think they are beautiful.

Was the video unrealistic? Yes. Was it beautiful? Definately.

Business_Casual
10-16-09, 12:36
One assumes he looked at some CAA rail or something and applied that to the whole carbine.

11Bravo
10-16-09, 18:04
I just plain don't get it.
I read his explanation and after the vid I was like, "uh... OK."
I too found the things firing on their own after the range was closed down and the never ending mags a bit creepy.
What got me detail-wise was that none of the tracers were zinging off into the night sky.
That's pretty much what I like best about tracers.

Rider79
10-16-09, 19:06
The song is called "The Funeral". Maybe the lyrics have something to do with his meaning. Either way, I liked it. But what's up with using the Eotech? Doesn't he know the internet says the Eotech sucks? :rolleyes:

decodeddiesel
10-17-09, 09:14
I guess I'm not "artsy" enough to get it. Still though the lighting and rendering were cool. Not quite sure WTF is up with the "Made in Israel" and too bad NZ was left out LOL.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-17-09, 09:19
I agree, I thought is was pretty cool until the "Made in Israel" part. I also considered the fact that the guy just had somebody's m4gery with some cheap Israeli plastic doo-dads on it, but I still think he lingered on it for a reason. That is unfortunate because it plays to the anti-Semitism that boils up from time to time in comments about the wars.

decodeddiesel
10-17-09, 09:33
I agree, I thought is was pretty cool until the "Made in Israel" part. I also considered the fact that the guy just had somebody's m4gery with some cheap Israeli plastic doo-dads on it, but I still think he lingered on it for a reason. That is unfortunate because it plays to the anti-Semitism that boils up from time to time in comments about the wars.

I agree Greg. Somehow implying that the "Arms of War" were supplied to the US, UK, and AUS and that these nations are somehow pawns of Israel.

Yeah, not so much...

Mac5.56
10-17-09, 13:27
I've given this video a lot of thought, and here is my conclusion:

The creator is most likely thinking about a career in some form of digital art, whether it be computer graphics, digital animation, whatever. This is most likely a portfolio piece for the purpose of one's application into a school, or a graduate school. The ultimate purpose of the piece was for him to make a "cool" choreographed "kick @ss" music video using a band he loves, and video game 1st person shooters/his favorite weapon in them as inspiration. He applied the "political" slant to the piece to attempt to sounds like he thinks about what he makes, as that is a general requirement in the art world (if you make something have a reason, know why, and be able to defend it). He applied a hollow "statement" in an attempt to sound intelligent and the contradicting subject mater, imagery and icons disprove that.

If this kid was one of my students, I would rip him a new one in a critique. He would be offended because his technical talent usually means that people don't see the flaws in his work. The goal would be to hopefully guide him into a creative practice that focuses on what he is good at, but stresses that if he want's to make politically evocative work, he must first learn what the hell he's talking about prior to opening his mouth and presenting his imagery.

Mac5.56
10-17-09, 13:31
I agree Greg. Somehow implying that the "Arms of War" were supplied to the US, UK, and AUS and that these nations are somehow pawns of Israel.

Yeah, not so much...

I think that is what he was "kind of" thinking, but it doesn't pan out. To me the statement is attempting to be more shocking. Putting the Star of David onto something is a simple way to get a reaction. It would be like crucifying an image of Christ on the McDonald's Arches. It's an easy out.

He also obviously isn't aware of the fact that a large majority of the people involved in the US commercial art gallery world are Jewish.

geminidglocker
10-18-09, 17:17
But it is not a star of David, it is a silly "FIVE" sided star. So he is obviously a complete moron.:confused: