PDA

View Full Version : Slings

RemMan700
10-16-09, 09:56
Does anyone have experiance with the Viking MK2 Wide Sling w/ Pad ? I was looking at the Vickers paded two point but saw this one for $20 bucks cheaper.

needsnolight
10-17-09, 16:22
yes and no,
yes i do have experience with the VTAC sling,(not the padded one), mine works great, easy to adjust, easy on the change overs, easy to reposition, and above all secure in position.
i didn't get the padded one because i've got enough padding on when I'm wearing mine, so its not a problem.
i also have one of the Vickers, i tried it and felt bad about buying it with in minutes of putting it on my rifle, if it was about a foot and a half longer it would be great, but its not so it ain't. its made well and it does work, it's just not long enough.
get the VTAC.
hope this helps.

ROCKET20_GINSU
10-17-09, 16:56
+1 for the VTAC w/ pad

I love mine, really utilitarian and functional sling IMO. I have the version w/o pad also but I prefer the pad especially for use w/o body armor.

GU

Reddevil
10-17-09, 18:19
I have the Larue padded which is the same as VTAC but with QD. I love it so far. Won't be able to test it till next month at quals. I hear the BFG crowd complaining that the VTAC leaves. Long tail but when mine is cinched up, I don't experience that. I attach mine at the receiver plate and to a KAC handstop on the handguards

YVK
10-17-09, 21:35
to a KAC handstop on the handguards

Just curious, how do your reloads go with this choice of attachment?

One issue that I have with VTAC is that if I attach front point closer to receiver, I can't quickly access release buckle. It works fine if attached close to FSB. Vickers' release buckle is accessible at any point of attachment.

Reddevil
10-18-09, 08:38
Just curious, how do your reloads go with this choice of attachment?

One issue that I have with VTAC is that if I attach front point closer to receiver, I can't quickly access release buckle. It works fine if attached close to FSB. Vickers' release buckle is accessible at any point of attachment.

YVK,

It works just fine so far. My handstop is mounted on midlength handguards on a MI rail a out halfway. I also use a Redimag for mag changes. I won't be able to test it out for real until our quarterly quals next month. I ultimately want to put a Larue 9" handguard on it and use the QD hole next to the receiver. Seems like Pat Rogers uses this setup on EAG middies but I won't know for sure until I get one.

YVK
10-18-09, 11:21
Cool. When I tried that set-up, my reloads got screwed because sling was positioned right over magwel.
I do like attaching sling close to receiver - my middies have either 10 inch Larue or 10 inch DD lite with attachment socket bolted close to receiver.

RemMan700
10-19-09, 08:02
Thanks for the responses guys. I will be ordering my VTac sling shortly.

Gutshot John
10-19-09, 08:38
Both Vickers and Viking are good choices, I've owned and used both but have sold off 2 of 3 Vickers in favor of the Viking. I've never had an issue with the tail.

The Vickers's slings I've used tend to move/slide under tension, like when using a sling to stabilize for a precision shot. I've not had good luck with the locking strap/slider.

Generally though I've learned to run either sling all the way out for transitions to pistol or off-hand. I tighten up only when I need greater precision and the Viking stays rock solid and can be cranked down much tighter than the Vickers.

Rapid adjustment may be less necessary for me than it is for you so if rapid adjustability is your key requirement the Vickers might be a better choice.

Just something to consider.

SO_THERE_I_WAS
10-21-09, 18:02
Both Vickers and Viking are good choices, I've owned and used both but have sold off 2 of 3 Vickers in favor of the Viking. I've never had an issue with the tail.

The Vickers's slings I've used tend to move/slide under tension, like when using a sling to stabilize for a precision shot. I've not had good luck with the locking strap/slider.

Generally though I've learned to run either sling all the way out for transitions to pistol or off-hand. I tighten up only when I need greater precision and the Viking stays rock solid and can be cranked down much tighter than the Vickers.

Rapid adjustment may be less necessary for me than it is for you so if rapid adjustability is your key requirement the Vickers might be a better choice.

Just something to consider.

+1 on the Vickers being a quicker to adjust. The Vicking however is a great sling for the money.

So There I Was...

RemMan700
10-23-09, 20:44
I ended up getting the Viking sling and am pleased with it. Seems very well made. Thanks for the help guys.

Saloris
10-24-09, 22:16
I just picked up a Zahal Tactical sling (http://www.zahal.org/rifle/p39.htm) 2 point.

Being a former active duty Marine... I just couldn't pass up the chance to have a good sling with my Eagle, Globe and Anchor on it...

:P

SO_THERE_I_WAS
10-24-09, 23:38
I just picked up a Zahal Tactical sling (http://www.zahal.org/rifle/p39.htm) 2 point.

Being a former active duty Marine... I just couldn't pass up the chance to have a good sling with my Eagle, Globe and Anchor on it...

:P

Intereting, those look paterned after Israeli slings, complete with the length reducing fold and buckle.

So There I Was...

oh yeah, Thanks for your service!

Saloris
10-25-09, 09:30
Yep, It is an IDF Sling, it just has our emblem embroidered on it for $1.00 more. Check out the rest of the Zahal site. They have a bunch of IDF stuff.

http://www.zahal.org/index.htm

UrbanRunner
10-27-09, 11:00
I'm considering switching to a single point sling such as the Magpul MS2. What other options are there for good single point slings? Also, what are your opinions on single point versus two point?