PDA

View Full Version : Refinish EOTech Hood

ArCane
02-26-07, 11:23
Does anybody know who I can send my EOTech hood off to paint that will match Magpul OD? I did the krylon OD, but there is a vast difference.

usmcgrunt
02-26-07, 11:36
Good Luck with it Bro! I was told to remove my hood on my 553 to paint it Coyote tan but Im reluctant for the same reason, what if it doesnt match! I have all coyote and black on my carbine so for now I will have to leave it! If someone can help us out I would greatly appreciate it!

Grunt Out!

AMMOTECH
02-27-07, 11:20
I'm not busting on you just thought this might be a good subject to take up a level.

Does it need to match and look good? or can it look like ass and keep running and running?

My M4 is basic black with some ware/use marks but I consider it to be a tool and take care of it like one. I've never realy thought much about color's not matching.

ArCane
02-27-07, 11:24
Very good point. And I usually always take the function over form route. But.... this will be a new rifle, and I do want everything to match up to the start, after that.... I dont care about scratches, use marks, bla bla bla

ISAIAH53
02-28-07, 09:20
I used Brownell's Aluma-Hyde ll, Earth Brown, which I found to be an excellent match for my FDE Mag-pul stuff.

AMMOTECH
02-28-07, 13:10
Very good point. And I usually always take the function over form route. But.... this will be a new rifle, and I do want everything to match up to the start, after that.... I dont care about scratches, use marks, bla bla bla

:cool:

Good deal.

steve2071
03-01-07, 05:37
Hi, first post here at m4carbine. I think what you're looking for is Duracoat, which is available from Lauer Custom Weaponry. It is applied via airbrush or some sort of compressed air and i don't know if you have to bake it to make it cure completely, but it's a nice finish which matches with pretty much any color you want. In fact, they actually have a color available called "Magpul Olive Drab." Aside from that, they have blacks, tans, and FDE for Magpul as well as different black, tan, and FDE for TangoDown and Vltor. So you can match exact.

The link is:
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoatcolors.cfm?colortype=stock&Category=220

Your OD should be at the bottom.

Steve
03-01-07, 07:47
Krylon......... it doesnt have to match it has to blend and break up in your AO.

not look cool.

ArCane
03-01-07, 10:08
Hi, first post here at m4carbine. I think what you're looking for is Duracoat, which is available from Lauer Custom Weaponry. It is applied via airbrush or some sort of compressed air and i don't know if you have to bake it to make it cure completely, but it's a nice finish which matches with pretty much any color you want. In fact, they actually have a color available called "Magpul Olive Drab." Aside from that, they have blacks, tans, and FDE for Magpul as well as different black, tan, and FDE for TangoDown and Vltor. So you can match exact.

The link is:
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoatcolors.cfm?colortype=stock&Category=220

Your OD should be at the bottom.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Robb Jensen
03-01-07, 10:13
I've used dark earth brown GunKote and tan Norrels. I like the Norrels better.

Turbo Supra
03-03-07, 12:24
Does the Magpul OD match the Vltor OD? If so, I use Brownell's Alumahyde II OD and it is a good match to Vltor OD.

In the pic below (not good lighting, sorry), the Vltor OD stock is as delivered. The TD BG and YHM VFG were sprayed in my garage with the Alumahyde. It matches the Magpul rail covers pretty well, too...

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/68639/0/G3K_M4d.jpg

DrDrake
03-03-07, 17:17
Close enough to not really notice. Good luck.

Does the Magpul OD match the Vltor OD? If so, I use Brownell's Alumahyde II OD and it is a good match to Vltor OD.

In the pic below (not good lighting, sorry), the Vltor OD stock is as delivered. The TD BG and YHM VFG were sprayed in my garage with the Alumahyde. It matches the Magpul rail covers pretty well, too...

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/68639/0/G3K_M4d.jpg

SuicideHz
03-08-07, 20:53
Duracoat is well known around these parts but it seems most prefer Molyresin. I sure don't like the way my last MR endeavor turned out while ALL of my DCing turns out flawless. It is a PITA to mix but once you make a small recipe/ration list and get some decent SS measuring spoons, it's cake.

ArCane
03-09-07, 00:14
I sprayed the EOTech cover and stag 6pos stock (Temp stock until I can get an OD UBR) tonight with the Magpul OD Duracoat. Wow... that was easy. The color is extremely close to my MIAD. Ill get some pics taken tomorrow of how it turned out.

ArCane
03-13-07, 11:27
Here is how it turned out, the color is actually closer then what it looks like in this pic.

http://www.glide.k12.or.us/GSD/portals/0/gallery/pers/ar/arlow.jpg

Buckaroo
03-13-07, 13:35
Very nice!

FlyAndFight
03-13-07, 14:26
That looks very smooth, ArCane. Did you remove the EoTech hood or simply mask it, prior to airbrushing?

ArCane
03-13-07, 14:46
It turned out very smooth. Yes, I removed the hood and sprayed with brake cleaner. Its very easy to take the hood off.

SuicideHz
03-13-07, 19:42
I bet it's just the textures that make the color look different but that's par for the course with LCW.

ArCane
03-13-07, 19:52
Actually, the colors look very close in person. It was the flash on the camera that makes them look different.

SuicideHz
03-13-07, 20:02
Exactly what I said. The flash reflects differently off of the different textures.

LCW's stuff doesn't stay consistent from one type of lighting to the next.

ArCane
03-13-07, 20:05
Ahhhh. I see. Misunderstood ya ;)

BlackDogExpress
10-12-10, 16:39
My Krylon "camo" flat OD matches my MagPul, Hogue, Ergo, Daniel Defense ODs well, although like some folks already said, variation enhances the camo effect anyway.

* Whoops, see this is an old post.