PDA

View Full Version : Need some scope mounting input

cschwanz
10-16-09, 19:33
So heres the deal. Im getting ready to order my first AR and i want to put a scope on it for target shooting/varmint hunting. Im pretty set on a Leupold Mark AR series (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=EFN1GAXGNV2BXLAQBBICCNVMCAEFCIWE?id=0070323713304a&navCount=3&podId=0070323&parentId=cat603331&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602006-cat603331&catalogCode=QZ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat603331&hasJS=true) scope, 3x9 with the mildot reticle.

My question is what would be a good mount for this scope on a BCM midlength rifle (that my rifle decision, just need to get my funds in order)?

I have different thoughts and need some opinions and guidance. Ive thought of a "standard" mount with some offset BUIS for super close shots. then again, there is quick disconnect method to use the current sight setup on the top side.

Any particular models for mounts I should look at for my purpose? Any input on the QD idea? (will it still hold it mark if i remove it and put it back on, and if not, how much would i expect it to be off?)

This noob thanks you for your help!

cschwanz
10-18-09, 17:30
anyone?

JStor
10-19-09, 18:15
I chose the Larue mount and many consider it to be one of the best available. Larue products are generally tier one products...at least that is what I think. :D

HiggsBoson
10-19-09, 21:16
I have the Mark AR 3-9x in a LaRue SPR mount (you'll need the 1" rings, or 30mm rings with spacers). It works just peachy. Depending on where you like your cheek-weld (ie, if you shoot nose to charging-handle), you might want the SPR-E.

As for the QD, I haven't tried any other brands, but my LaRue SPR maintains it's zero with no POI shift when removed and replaced on the gun (ie, when I want to swap it for an Aimpoint.) I just make sure to put it back on the same rail slots. It even stays fairly consistent when I swap it to another upper entirely (with the same length barrel and same ammo.)

I have mine with the Troy BUIS folded down. I have to (QD) remove the scope/SPR to deploy the rear BUIS, which isn't terribly fast, but it's faster than having to find a screwdriver. Takes all of about 20 seconds to be back in the fight.

Putting it on a BCM midlength should work fine. I've shot the Leupold on my BCM middie (w/ FSB and DD omega rail). It works fine even with the FSB, but I prefer to leave it on one of my low-profile uppers.

cschwanz
10-20-09, 21:44
thx for the helpful input. I appreciate it.

... Depending on where you like your cheek-weld (ie, if you shoot nose to charging-handle), you might want the SPR-E.
why would i need the extended mount? couldnt i just move the regular mount forward a little bit. (I do plan on adding a rail system after i buy the rifle, just now sure how soon after)

Any other ideas or is this my way to go??

Edited for additional question.