PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Muzzle Caps, what's your thoughts?

Buckshot Barry
10-17-09, 18:17
While ordering some Colt 30 rd mags, I decided to add a few Plastic Muzzle Caps to the shopping cart.

Well they arrived and are a lot tighter on an A2 flash hider than I expected.

So what's your experience with these things. Are they a life saver for keeping debris out of the barrel or a pain in the butt?

I thought I even read in the GI manual that the weapon could be fired with the cap on. I'm not going to be the first to try that though.

BTW, ran 60 rds through my new 6920 today. S W E E T !

EDIT:

Well I just found this at http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/ar15kaboom2.htm

"Use the issue, shoot-through, plastic muzzle caps to keep sand and dirt out of weapon barrels. The $2,000 spent to replace five rifles could have bought 40,000 5-cent muzzle caps."

"Note: Removal of the muzzle cap before firing is recommended. Place it in your pocket for future use. However, it is not dangerous to fire the rifle with the cap installed."

subzero
10-17-09, 19:21
An old foamy earplug stuck in the FH will do the same thing, and is just as harmless to shoot through.

For most civilians, who keep guns in safes and/or cases, I think muzzle caps are kind of a waste of effort. Nice idea, but doesn't buy you much.

Quib
10-17-09, 20:46
They certainly kept our bores clean during Desert Storm, as well as during training FTXs. Never had the opportunity to shoot through one though, always wondered about that one myself.....LOL.

ST911
10-17-09, 21:07
The GI muzzle caps can be fired through without hazard to the gun or significant deviation in POI. If you're using them on a cased, racked, or stored gun, make sure you remove the cap from time to time to check for corrosion. The cap traps moisture. The ear plug idea works to protect the bore from debris, and also keeps the air moving through the FH. A bag of balloons from the party or dollar store work, too, and are cheaper than the caps. Same caution applies for the moisture.

iwouldntknow
10-17-09, 21:12
Duct tape works as well. Cheaper too.

Ak44
10-17-09, 21:24
Caps were designed to be shot off. They were nice to have when doing patrols during the rain, as it prevented the mud getting in the muzzle when falling in canals :D

Quib
10-17-09, 21:46
Duct tape works as well. Cheaper too.

For weapons that had no muzzle caps, we improvised with speed tape.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/DSIraq60position.jpg

Muzzle cap is hard to see here in this pic, but my improvised M203 cap can be seen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/DSNorth60pos.jpg

Quib
10-17-09, 22:05
The GI muzzle caps..........If you're using them on a cased, racked, or stored gun, make sure you remove the cap from time to time to check for corrosion. The cap traps moisture.

Yep, that's what they say. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/BarrelCap.jpg

RogerinTPA
10-17-09, 22:59
An old foamy earplug stuck in the FH will do the same thing, and is just as harmless to shoot through.

For most civilians, who keep guns in safes and/or cases, I think muzzle caps are kind of a waste of effort. Nice idea, but doesn't buy you much.

I did the same thing. Using the yellow foam ear plugs while in desert environments, for my pistol and/or rifle, back in the day.

decodeddiesel
10-17-09, 23:26
Saw about 1000 "shot through" by accident at ranges, and had to shoot through one of mine for real while returning fire on some jackasses in Mahmudiyah. Great piece of gear.

blade_68
10-18-09, 01:20
good for patrols, Very bad for storage the cap shoot off fine, hard to get when you need them then Dumb A** put them on for storage in Arms Rooms in the SE that means corrosion and condensation in barrel. kind of funny I've seen a few D Fs think that they would work as a BFA then launched them :rolleyes:

Col_Crocs
10-18-09, 01:41
While ordering some Colt 30 rd mags, I decided to add a few Plastic Muzzle Caps to the shopping cart.

Well they arrived and are a lot tighter on an A2 flash hider than I expected.

So what's your experience with these things. Are they a life saver for keeping debris out of the barrel or a pain in the butt?

I thought I even read in the GI manual that the weapon could be fired with the cap on. I'm not going to be the first to try that though.

BTW, ran 60 rds through my new 6920 today. S W E E T !

EDIT:

Well I just found this at http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/ar15kaboom2.htm

"Use the issue, shoot-through, plastic muzzle caps to keep sand and dirt out of weapon barrels. The $2,000 spent to replace five rifles could have bought 40,000 5-cent muzzle caps."

"Note: Removal of the muzzle cap before firing is recommended. Place it in your pocket for future use. However, it is not dangerous to fire the rifle with the cap installed."

Mine was very tight when I first got it too. Just spray the inside with a little silicone lube and wipe to leave a dry and very slick film. Mine now slides on and off easily.
It's worth having a few of these lying around. In my case, it would have been useful for the guys I went hog hunting with in the rain. Several of them slipped and mud-poked their weapons.
These things split and fly off when you shoot through them. A friend of mine forgot to take his off and shot through it.

ggt1_02
10-18-09, 11:16
I tried to use them when ever I could. Mk19 foam dunnage worked well also. Most of our guys forgot to take them them to shoot.

AEROX711
10-18-09, 15:23
I'm currently using them now (Iraq). I grabbed a handful before we came over. They're great to protect your bbl from the nasty elements. Obviously, when you shoot them off, you're cleaning it anyways at the end of the day. So, if you don't go out and have to shoot, that keeps you from cleaning your bore that day. I don't use them at all at home on personal weapons.

Iraq Ninja
10-18-09, 15:38
I use em over here too. No complaints.

I wonder if anyone has ever studied the effect they have on accuracy at say, 100 meters?

geminidglocker
10-18-09, 15:40
I used them in Iraq and now I still use them. Nice pic' from the PMCS cartoon.

ssgjason
10-18-09, 17:29
I believe TOS had a thread about this and issues were as follows:
First shot would be off of zero, by no more than two inches
Occasionally the plastic would melt to the FH and would be difficult to remove.

travistheone
10-18-09, 22:35
Lil tape over the barrel is a trick used by hunters forever. Keeps mud and rain out, when walking with your shotgun slung on the back. Shoot right through it.

Combat_Diver
10-19-09, 02:20
I used them for years in the service. They protect the bore from rain, snow, mud, dust and sand. Used them on my M16/M4 during ski training, maritime operations, jumping exposed weapons parachuting (better then duct tape). Would have troops forget to remove them from their barrels on ranges in Iraq and they would just shoot off. Looks neater than a condom on the end.

CD

rob_s
10-19-09, 04:45
I like them for hog hunting. I've never stuck my muzzle in the mud while out, but it's easily a possibility and I like having the cap on there just in case.

Beat Trash
10-19-09, 05:24
I think for a stateside civilian, using them while doing things such as hog hunting would be a prudent choice. I keep a couple on hand for such activities.

We never plan on falling on our face in a big pile of mud, but sometimes the unexpected happens...

rifleman2000
10-19-09, 10:51
I have seen them shot off by dumbasses... they split in a few places and fly across the range. It is called a range spider since the cap is flattened with multiple "legs".

"Nice spider... 'sir'."

geminidglocker
10-19-09, 12:36
I forgot to mention, I use tape now that I'm a Civilian, works the same when I'm in the woods. I take the tape off when I come inside. Plus, tape is universal fit.

the.2nd1
10-19-09, 14:50
I use em they're cheaper than rubbers.doesn't affect accuracy much from what I can tell.I've forgot about them being on and shot a couple of them off.

Buckshot Barry
10-19-09, 20:47
Thank you all for the replies. Just the information I was looking for.

panzerr
10-19-09, 21:04

Muzzle caps work great if you are interested in rust on your muzzle break.

I wouldn't recommend them to any PX Ranger. All they do is hold moisture next to your muzzle. They may keep small particles of dirt out, but nothing that wouldn't be ejected after the first round goes down range.

FlyAndFight
10-20-09, 09:53
I recently found a handful of these in my closet and never having used them before, decided to put them on the AR's and even the AK's in the safe. But now with the mentioning of possible corrosion, I'll be removing them pronto.

I assume that the same corrosion risk would apply to the mag-well cover?

rifleman2000
10-20-09, 11:16
Muzzle caps work great if you are interested in rust on your muzzle break.

I wouldn't recommend them to any PX Ranger. All they do is hold moisture next to your muzzle. They may keep small particles of dirt out, but nothing that wouldn't be ejected after the first round goes down range.

2nd on that. I had used one until I noticed the rusted flash suppressor.

eodinert
10-20-09, 17:31
I shot one off and got hit in the face by a piece of the plastic. Raised a welt. Had it been an unprotected eye, it could have sucked.