PDA

View Full Version : Rem 3 inch 00 buckshot

SnakeLogan
10-18-09, 13:21
Dicks was having a decent sale I bought a couple boxes of Remington 3 inch (15 pellet) 00 buck.

Couple questions. How many inches of penetration would you expect the pellets to average in ballistic gel at 10 feet? Also, has anyone patterned this round? How were the results?

Thanks.

BuckskinJoe
10-19-09, 07:32
Other folks--Doc, for instance--will have better first-hand knowledge of actual penetration numbers; however, 00 Buck, in the reports I have seen, penetrates in the 16" to 18" region, which is more than enough.

3" mag. buckshot kicks hard, but, in a defensive encounter, recoil will not be felt!

Be careful with Reminton ammunition. I had one 12 ga. slug round with the primer driven all the way through the primer pocket, and, just this weekend, a student in my reloading class produced a box of Remington UMC .45 ACP ammo with seriously damaged (crushed) primers, and those rounds would not fire.
Suggest you inspect your Remington ammunition before using it.

Additionally, when I went to great lengths to help Remington with its defective shotgun shell, the response was tepid, at best. Consequently, my decision is not to use Remington ammunition at all, if possible, and never for carry ammo.

Hope this is some help.

SnakeLogan
10-19-09, 07:44
Thanks for the info BuckskinJoe. What brand are you using now?

BuckskinJoe
10-19-09, 20:13
Thanks for the info BuckskinJoe. What brand are you using now?

You are most welcome.
My opinion: Winchester, overall, makes truly excellent ammunition--see some of the ballistic tests in Doc Roberts' threads. For my defensive shotguns, I have 3" Federal #1 Buck (Federal doesn't offer it anymore). #1 Buck is hard to find, but 00 Buck is readily available, and Doc says anything from #1 to 000 works just fine.

Were I buying defensive shotgun ammo today, I would go with Winchester's offerings, since Winchester still makes shotgun shells in #1 Buck. No problem at all with Federal 00 Buck, either.

For shotgun practice shooting, I try to find the cheapest available, and, sometimes that is Remington at Wal-Mart or Sellier-Bellot at some gun stores, or anything decent at gun shows. For practice handgun ammo, I load my own.

For handgun "carry" ammo, Winchester (PDX1 and Talon), Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, and Corbon with Barnes DPX bullets get the best grades. Again, look at Doc's work in the bolded threads at the top of this forum.

WS6
10-20-09, 05:41
It does okay, but their 2.75" loads pattern better. I prefer Supreme XX buffered/plated magnum 2.75" to it. The tightest patterning buck I have tested was Remington OOO 2.75" 8-pellet. At 50 yards I could count on 3-4 pellets hitting a pie-plate every time from my MOD choked M4S90.

SnakeLogan
10-20-09, 13:52
You are most welcome.
My opinion: Winchester, overall, makes truly excellent ammunition--see some of the ballistic tests in Doc Roberts' threads. For my defensive shotguns, I have 3" Federal #1 Buck (Federal doesn't offer it anymore). #1 Buck is hard to find, but 00 Buck is readily available, and Doc says anything from #1 to 000 works just fine.

Were I buying defensive shotgun ammo today, I would go with Winchester's offerings, since Winchester still makes shotgun shells in #1 Buck. No problem at all with Federal 00 Buck, either.

For shotgun practice shooting, I try to find the cheapest available, and, sometimes that is Remington at Wal-Mart or Sellier-Bellot at some gun stores, or anything decent at gun shows. For practice handgun ammo, I load my own.

For handgun "carry" ammo, Winchester (PDX1 and Talon), Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, and Corbon with Barnes DPX bullets get the best grades. Again, look at Doc's work in the bolded threads at the top of this forum.

It's funny. I've heard complaints about Winchester, but have never had a problem with Super X buckshot. I stocked up on Super X 2.75 inch 12 pellet 00 and love the round. Too bad Winchester stopped making it.:mad:

If you don't mind my asking BuckskinJoe, why do you go with 3 inch shells for HD as opposed to 2.75. Just reading the opinions of others, the consensus seems to be that the extra recoil and loss of 1 extra shell makes it a poor choice for HD.

BuckskinJoe
10-20-09, 18:25
It's funny. I've heard complaints about Winchester, but have never had a problem with Super X buckshot. I stocked up on Super X 2.75 inch 12 pellet 00 and love the round. Too bad Winchester stopped making it.:mad:

If you don't mind my asking BuckskinJoe, why do you go with 3 inch shells for HD as opposed to 2.75. Just reading the opinions of others, the consensus seems to be that the extra recoil and loss of 1 extra shell makes it a poor choice for HD.

Don't mind you asking at all. First, though, Winchester also stopped making the 20-pellet 2.75" #1 Buck shell. I'm sure your 12-pellet shells kick harder than the standard 9-pellet varieties, but you are getting 33 percent more wound channel with each shot.

To me, recoil is not an issue for a deadly-force encounter. At practical shotgun matches, recoil does become an issue after 35 to 50 3" rounds in fairly rapid succession (Ow-eee!), but I am unaware of any examples where, after a shooting, a surviving good guy complained about how badly recoil hurt his hand, shoulder, or cheek, and wished he had used lower recoil ammunition.

Actually, I don't truly lose a round to 3" shells, because I load a 2.75" shell in the tube first, followed by five 3" rounds, for a total of 6--the same number of 2.75" shells that fit in the tube.

Reason for my selecting the 3": total wound channel.
3" #1 Buck has 24 pellets of .30 diameter; while 2.75" #1 buck has 16. So, the 3" shell has 50 percent more total woulnd channel than the 2.75". To me, that is both substantial and persuasive. Other folks have their reasons--such as the speed of follow-up shots--for not using 3" magnum rounds, and that's fine.

One of my favorite quotes came from General Thomas Kelley during Operation Desert Storm in the Persian Gulf war of 1990-1991. Asked in one briefing whether sending B-52 bombers to attack a single Scud missile site was comparable to killing a fly with a sledge hammer, he replied, ''My own personal opinion is that's a delightful way to kill a fly.''

SnakeLogan
10-24-09, 11:05
What does DocGKR think of this round? Would he recommend it for HD or does he think it's "overkill"?