PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable necessity to possess...

LRS143
10-19-09, 07:42
On a Transfer and Registration Form what is "reasonable necessity to possess" a short-barreled rifle? Recreation sounds good, but what are others? I don't want to raise any flags because I really just want it for recreation, practice, and home defence.

khc3
10-19-09, 08:56
I always put "collector's item."

And nothing else.

You only need one reason, and the reason you state doesn't restrict any future lawful use.

Personal collection is cited in statute as being a legitimate reason to buy, possess, and even sell firearms without needing a license. Other common ones, such as "investment," not so much, IMHO.

LRS143
10-19-09, 09:18
Thanks

shade_1313
10-19-09, 13:14
I've seen forms where the entry in this block was "Zombies"

Also heard about one this weekend, the block read "Cause chicks dig it"

Zhurdan
10-19-09, 13:50
On my last set of ATF forms, I put Investment and Personal Collection. No problems.

ChristisKing
10-19-09, 14:47
I have seen where a guy used "for Zombies" and it got okayed. Don't worry about it just put for personal use.

Ak44
10-19-09, 15:20
I put "Investment & Collection" on all my forms.

LRS143
10-19-09, 17:41
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm just wanting to get this done without any headaches. I have to get my Police Chief to sign off on this and then it's off to the ATF. I'm sure I'm months away from actually possessing my SBR. Any advice on how to expedite this whole process would be great if it's even possible to speed it up.
I did go down to my dealer and fondle it a bit last week. It's a beautiful "collectors item".

Ak44
10-19-09, 17:52
Do you have to pay the Chief some sort of fee for a background check or anything like that? For MD you have to take your paperwork to the State Police to sign off on it, and they conduct a state background check. If you have to pay any sort of fees, get a cashier's check instead of a personal as they generally clear faster in my experience.

Mark71
10-19-09, 17:58
I've seen forms where the entry in this block was "Zombies"

Also heard about one this weekend, the block read "Cause chicks dig it"

Another favorite that I have seen is "To silently stalk squirrels."

http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/Form1_Zombies.jpg

http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/Form-1.jpg

G-lock
10-19-09, 18:22
All lawful purposes, has worked for me. Jeff

Redmanfms
10-19-09, 18:53
All lawful purposes, has worked for me. Jeff

Same here.

"All lawful purposes."

The BATF aren't people to get cute with. I'm happy for the folks who've succeeded in slipping "zombies" and similiar things by (and find it pretty amusing), but I wouldn't do it.

00leland00
10-19-09, 21:26
Nm, way late to the party.