PDA

View Full Version : Lasermax experiences?

graffex
02-26-07, 19:54
Anyone have any experiences with the lasermax lasers that replace your factory guide rod? I'm intrested in it for my Glock 17 because it doesn't obviously add any bulk to the gun.

I was thinking about getting a light/laser combo like a Streamlight TLR-2 but figured if the lasermax is good I'd rather get that and a seperate light like a Surefire X200 which would be a smaller overall package than having both in the same unit like on the TRL-2.

graffex
02-27-07, 14:00
Anyone have any advice?

JAYTEAM
02-27-07, 16:08
Anyone have any advice?

I had one in a G17. I didn't have any problems out of it. I have heard horror stories of other peoples stories about them on the net. I wouldn't have any problems putting one in a Glock for the Mrs nightstand gun, FWIW.

Jay

graffex
02-27-07, 16:37
I had one in a G17. I didn't have any problems out of it. I have heard horror stories of other peoples stories about them on the net. I wouldn't have any problems putting one in a Glock for the Mrs nightstand gun, FWIW.

Jay

What kind of horror stories?

JAYTEAM
02-27-07, 19:59
What kind of horror stories?

I have heard of the guide rod breaking into pieces and making the weapon inoperable, but I have never actually seen this.

Jay

graffex
02-27-07, 22:23
I have heard of the guide rod breaking into pieces and making the weapon inoperable, but I have never actually seen this.

Jay

I'd find it hard to believe the rod would break in half... Sounds like errornet talk to me. Thanks for your experience.

Does anyone else have experiences or thoughts on this product?

JAYTEAM
02-28-07, 15:15
I'd find it hard to believe the rod would break in half... Sounds like errornet talk to me.

That is kinda what I thought. Like I said, I wouldn't haveany problems buying another one.

Jay

MikeCLeonard
07-03-07, 21:27
My brother has one in his Beretta 92...it has always worked great and the bullets go exactly where you are pointing.

I have run across a number of people that claimed to have heard stories of these lasers breaking...but have never seen any artical or internet post of a first hand experience failure.

I seriously doubt you need to worry about the unit breaking...stock Glock guide rods are made of plastic after all, and I would think they would break before a stainless steel guide rod.

Drummer
07-04-07, 10:59
The Lasermax Glock guide rod models are pretty much over-priced junk. I have no experience with Lasermaxes on other pistols or their new models.

The pulsating laser feature of the Lasermaxes is a design flaw.

Crimson Trace is the only game in town for lasers, in my opinion.

Robb Jensen
07-04-07, 11:04
Agree. LaserMax is overpriced. The models that replace the guide rod and takedown levers are a really bad idea. Anything that takes stock parts out is bad juju. If you just have to have a 'laser/ray/beam/infared' or whatever you want to call it get the CrimsonTrace.

I'm not a big fan of lasers as they can make you look at the wrong thing, this being the target and not the sights.

CLHC
06-22-08, 16:07
Just a question here; so are there more people that swear at them (Lasers) then those that swear by them? :confused:

Curious to know, that's all. . .

ToddG
06-22-08, 16:50
I'm a huge advocate of lasers on handguns. They're not a panacea but they provide you with capabilities you simply do not have otherwise.

CLHC
06-22-08, 17:15
I'm a huge advocate of lasers on handguns. They're not a panacea but they provide you with capabilities you simply do not have otherwise.
Finely put I'd say. :)

ToddG
06-22-08, 17:28
Yeah, but I can't really take credit for it.

Seven or eight years ago, a bunch of guys were sitting around in a hotel room waiting to go to dinner. Ken Hackathorn, Ernest Langdon, Dave Harrington, me, and this quiet guy sitting on the floor next to the door. There was this big argument going on, with me on one side and everyone (except the guy by the door) on the other. I was saying the laser was great, the other guys were all somewhere between skeptical and hostile to the idea.

During a lull, the guy on the floor piped up, "There are things you can do with a laser that you can't do without. Period."

That pretty much turned the tide of the discussion. Within a few years, Ken Hackatorn, Ernest Langdon, and Dave Harrington were all consultants for or otherwise involved with Crimson Trace Corp.

The guy sitting on the floor? You may have heard of him. His name is Larry Vickers.

CLHC
06-22-08, 17:32
Yeah, but I can't really take credit for it.

Seven or eight years ago, a bunch of guys were sitting around in a hotel room waiting to go to dinner. Ken Hackathorn, Ernest Langdon, Dave Harrington, me, and this quiet guy sitting on the floor next to the door. There was this big argument going on, with me on one side and everyone (except the guy by the door) on the other. I was saying the laser was great, the other guys were all somewhere between skeptical and hostile to the idea.

During a lull, the guy on the floor piped up, "There are things you can do with a laser that you can't do without. Period."
That pretty much turned the tide of the discussion. Within a few years, Ken Hackatorn, Ernest Langdon, and Dave Harrington were all consultants for or otherwise involved with Crimson Trace Corp.

The guy sitting on the floor? You may have heard of him. His name is Larry Vickers.
Well how do you like that? :D

telecustom
06-22-08, 18:26
The Laser Max Laser I had on my M9 in Iraq work flawlessly. In fact, it saved my butt more than once. Those Iraqis weren't afraid of my M4. But the almost shit themselves when the pistol with the little red dot came out. It made me happy.:D

nickdrak
06-22-08, 20:10
I had a Lasermax unit take a dump in a Sig P220 I used to own. That was about 8 years ago, but I still wouldnt consider installing one in any of my carry pistols. I didnt care for the pulsing laser either.

The Crimson Trace lasers do not install in-place of any of the factory internal functional parts, and I prefer the constant laser of the CT laser over the pulsing laser of the Lasermax. I would suggest the Crimson Trace laser for serious use.

uspopo
06-24-08, 16:55
Crimson Trace lasers would be the only one I'd consider if I wanted something for my Glock, SWMP, 1911 or SW J-frame.

Stan

scoutout86
06-24-08, 17:47
I have a glock 19 with a lasermax, had it for about 3 years now and have had no issues with it. i would suggest puting back the original guide rod when u go to the range for target pratice, so you dont wear out that spring on the laser max.

cabbynate
06-29-08, 02:43
I have a Lasermax in my G26 and it works great. Very accurate out to 25 yards or so. Easy to activate as when I draw my finger rides right on the switch so a push gets it going. I'm a lefty so the Crimson Trace lasers are out. I leave mine in when I go to the range. Never had a malfunction with the gun or the laser so far.....

POF.Ops
07-18-08, 01:02
I just put a Lasermax Green laser on my POF and as far as I'm concerned it is worth the extra $ for the green laser. I sighted it in the other day in sunny conditions and I had no problem seeing the dot at 25 yards. In lowlight it is really cool to see the laser beam and the pulsing dot on the target. If it were me I'd run like hell if it was pointed at me.