PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down a factory handle ?????'s

lil'Zeus
10-19-09, 13:36
I am new to this site but have been doing a lot of reading of others posts and threads. I wanted to try and find out more information on cutting down the factory sight handle to expose my flat top to later add a red dot of some sort, but I wanted to keep the adjustability of the factory handle set up.

I have found several pictures of the final product after being done. Does anyone have any tips on doing this? Do you use a dremel and a steady hand? Also, after you cut it and sand/smooth it down, what do you use to touch up the raw aluminum? Or do you just refinish the entire piece?

Sorry for all the questions, for those of you that have done this do you still have good sight of a red dot like an eotech out in front of the iron sight but behind the factory had guards?

Thanks a ton in advance!!!!

Shane

bkb0000
10-19-09, 13:57
are you talking about cutting down an A2 receiver carry handle, or does your carry handle detach?

if you have an A2 upper, cutting your carry handle isn't gonna do much for you.. you need the rails from an A3/M4 upper to attach optics

Frens
10-19-09, 14:16
I've cut mine with a saw and a file; then I've refinished it with birchwood casey aluminum black.

Quib
10-19-09, 14:17
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/CCHSPEC.jpg

I used a hacksaw, files and sandpaper for the final shaping. Refinishing was done with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.

lil'Zeus
10-19-09, 15:19
I have a new Bushmaster M4A3.

Thanks for the pics everyone and the advice...this helps a bunch...

Where is the best place to get some of this paint at? Also, since both of you used this paint, is the what the factory finish is done in?

Thanks
Shane

Hell_Bent
10-19-09, 15:25
I have a new Bushmaster M4A3.

Thanks for the pics everyone and the advice...this helps a bunch...

Where is the best place to get some of this paint at? Also, since both of you used this paint, is the what the factory finish is done in?

Thanks
Shane

I agree with what everyone said above - hacksaw and a file makes it a pretty painless job...

As far as your last question, the Birchwood Casey is not a paint, it's a chemical blackener which changes the color of the metal itself. Just dab it on (rag/q-tip/whatever) to the parts which are exposed metal and wipe it off after a few seconds. Reapply if it's not dark enough. I think I picked up my last bottle at Academy - any store with a halfway decent shooting supplies section should have it...

lil'Zeus
10-19-09, 15:58
Awesome! Thanks for the response and the help. I have been shooting all my life, but relatively new to the AR platform!

I'm wanting to keep things extremely simple, do a few things to improve function for me with out sacraficing reliability.

Thanks
Shane

Caeser25
10-19-09, 17:04
it took 2 or 3 charges from my dremel but it was easy.

Quentin
10-19-09, 21:10
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/CCHSPEC.jpg

I used a hacksaw, files and sandpaper for the final shaping. Refinishing was done with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.

Quib, was that a Bushmaster carry handle you cut down? I bought a used carry handle with those same forge marks (splintered A and capital A) and was told it was a Bushy. I know your pic says Bushmaster but not sure if that's for something else or the actual carry handle you cut down. Just curious. Thanks!

Nice job BTW!

Also, to the OP - it might be less trouble to sell the carry handle and buy a BUIS that has the windage&elevation adjustments like the carry handle (though it won't be a flip up BUIS). I think DPMS has something like that for about the cost of a carry handle.

Quib
10-19-09, 21:30
Quib, was that a Bushmaster carry handle you cut down? I bought a used carry handle with those same forge marks (splintered A and capital A) and was told it was a Bushy. I know your pic says Bushmaster but not sure if that's for something else or the actual carry handle you cut down. Just curious. Thanks!

Yes, it was a Bushmaster CH.

Quentin
10-20-09, 00:26
Thanks, Quib! Your picture said Bushmaster CCH (cut carry handle, I guess) but I wanted to double check.

Quib
10-20-09, 06:14
Thanks, Quib! Your picture said Bushmaster CCH (cut carry handle, I guess) but I wanted to double check.

No problem, glad to help. :)

Yes, “CCH” is a loosely used acronym for “Cut Carry Handle“.

kmrtnsn
10-20-09, 09:14
There is also a step-by-step guide at TOS with photos for this particular project.

Quib
10-20-09, 09:27
There is also a step-by-step guide at TOS with photos for this particular project.

I think at one point years ago on TOS, I did a write-up myself using the above CCH. It's propably deep in the archives by now.

AMMOTECH
10-20-09, 18:29
Vice and hack-saw...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA70921.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA71216a.jpg

markm
10-20-09, 18:48
Cut Carry Handle is the only way to go since LMT went to casting their sight bodies. :rolleyes:

Plus a full carry handle from BCM is cheaper than the LMT cut sight.... if you don't already have one.

This is the only BUIS I'd run if I ever had a reason to take of one of my carry handles.

motorolahamm
10-20-09, 18:54
myself i just bought the lmt unless you want a project to work on then .....go for it

Dave_M
10-20-09, 20:14
whew!

Glad this thread was about cutting off a carry handle and not some shit like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DavePAL84/random/cav2.jpg

lil'Zeus
10-20-09, 22:09
Dang, that pic is pretty interesting...I would be sweating bullets if I had that upper..lol

Thanks all for the pics and advice.

Does anyone have a preferred place to purchase the Birchwood Casey product that has been mentioned with this project? I'm going to check out a shop that has a lot of tactical/military type stuff tomorrow to see if they have any of it...

This site is great.....

usmcvet
10-20-09, 22:40
Man! You guys had me freaked out for a bit. I thought you were cutting the A-2 Carrying Handle off your rifle and using a dremel to put your own rails in!

markm
10-21-09, 18:57
Good God! That "thing" even has the DPMS TiN bolt group in it. :rolleyes: