PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Upper Question

1st Team Vet
02-26-07, 19:55
It's been a while since I've had an AR so please excuse my ignorance as a lot has changed since I last carried the black rifle... I would like to know if the standard front sight on a Rock River upper will work with a flip up rear sight? If not what type of optic works best with the RR tactical detachable carry handle? I want to be able to co-witness with my irons as a back up? Also what are the benefits (if any) if attaching the optic to the tactical carry handle? Thanks - Ty

Sam
02-26-07, 20:48
The Rock River front sight works with any rear sight, folding or fixed. I prefer the fixed, non folding rear by Larue.

The only rear optics mount that will allow cowitnessing an Aimpoint on the RRA tactical carry handle is the one sold by Brownells, fortunately it's cheap, only $12. It's a solid mount although not a quick detach unit, you'll need an allen wrench to remove or install. It will put the Aimpoint at its lowest position and have the iron sights in the lower third part of the tube.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/413083.jpg

I used the RRA with the tactical upper for a couple of years with the set up described above. It works ok, solid and stable. On the down side, it's not flexible (as in not easy to change ) and certainly not cool or sexy :)

I've changed to the flat top uppers and use the Larue rear sight and Larue Aimpoint mount, a much better arrangement.

Good luck.

Snake RAH
02-27-07, 11:52
Steve at RRA's forum over that the old site said that they use different height FSBs for different length barrels. They just aren't marked with an F.

I have noticed in the several RRA uppers I have, and through an informal poll on another site that no one seems to have difficulty with military height rear BUIS, whether flip up, fixed, or carry handle on carbine, midlength or rifle length barrel assemblies.