PDA

View Full Version : MP & Glock Qs

jmoore
10-19-09, 16:40
First off - I keep getting error messages on search - hence my posting questions that have in all liklihood been asked (and answered) before.

Background: In an attempt to explore new platforms (from a lifetime with 1911s:) - I've purchased both an M&P 9 FS and a Glock 17 in the past month or so.

Q1 - I thought I recalled someone posting a reply in the not-to-distant past that described all of the various incantations that Glock triggers could be set up as - and the resulting changes to trigger weight and reset. Any assistance in tracking down that info would be appreciated, i.e., link, website, whatever.
(FWIW - I'm having a real difficult time with the MP trigger. In an attempt to shift blame away from me:) - I'll be sending it off to SW for their action job next week. If that doesn't get me where I want (along with tons of additional practice, of course) - I'll try Bowie's LX trigger job.)

Q2 - Likewise, I recall a posting (from DocGKR?) as to preferred 9mm ammo from a SD point of view.

Specifically - I'm interested in effective 147 gr ammo. Why 147 when there is obvioulsy good 115 and 124 stuff out there? Well - every time I see some big, hulking behemoth (says the guy who is 6' 5" and 290#:) - I get a little concerned with adequate (as opposed to over!!!:) penetration. Never thought much about that problem with a 230 grain .45 - now I do with the smaller pill that the 9 throws. Once again - any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

jm

awm14hp
10-19-09, 19:35
I love the 147 loads and carry it in my 9mm loads I have both the HST and Ranger T both non p loads I carry them in following and they all work well
Glk 17
glk 19
Glk 26
SW 3913
Sig 226
M9

jhs1969
10-19-09, 19:54
I've never liked the 147gr 9mm's. I remember some of the bad results they had not long after hitting market in the 90's but I would bet todays 147grainers are much better than back then. I personally prefer 124gr +P's, again this IMO. Below is a link that may help.

I've had quite a number of Glocks and tried the M&P9 and 9c last year, I am now back to Glocks with a G17 and G19. I personally prefer the Glock but will say that the M&P's would be my second choice. Choosing a handgun is a very personal thing, I think you are on the right track by trying both, ultimately choose the one that "fits you" best. Good luck.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Hound_va
10-19-09, 21:03
9mm ballistic info:

Glock triggers can have 4.5, 5/5.5, and 8 lb connectors. Combine those with a NY1 for approximately 1 lb increase or a NY2 trigger spring for approximately 2 lb increase. 4.5 lb connector with a NY1 is approximately 5.5 with a DA type feel and a quick reset.

Business_Casual
10-19-09, 21:23
All the news that's fit to print:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

M_P

HK45
10-30-09, 00:25
I've never liked the 147gr 9mm's. I remember some of the bad results they had not long after hitting market in the 90's but I would bet todays 147grainers are much better than back then. I personally prefer 124gr +P's, again this IMO. Below is a link that may help.

The 147 gr 9mm are supposed to be much better these days. Enough velocity to ensure penetration and expansion. But like you I split the difference between the 147 and 115 gra schools and go with 124 gr +P.

Kilroy
10-30-09, 14:44
Q1 - I thought I recalled someone posting a reply in the not-to-distant past that described all of the various incantations that Glock triggers could be set up as - and the resulting changes to trigger weight and reset. ............(FWIW - I'm having a real difficult time with the MP trigger. In an attempt to shift blame away from me:) - I'll be sending it off to SW for their action job next week. If that doesn't get me where I want (along with tons of additional practice, of course) - I'll try Bowie's LX trigger job.)

In all of my carry Glocks, I have the factory ( - ) connector and the black NY trigger spring, for a very smooth and smart resetting trigger. If you can't find a black NY spring, then a green one can serve. Use will smooth it out even more. You would hardly realize that your trigger pull cocks and fires the pistol. The NY trigger springs "feels" like it re-sets the trigger just a bit better.

Some of the better M&P trigger jobs will improve it's single action trigger. I've wondered if the mushy triggers on the XD and M&P were intended to mask the fact that they are single action pistols. Regardless, they can be cleaned up with a variety of gunsmiths (and factory shops) offering the service.

beastfrog
10-30-09, 18:35
You would hardly realize that your trigger pull cocks and fires the pistol.

That's because the trigger pull of a glock doesn't cock the striker. Try pulling the trigger twice on a dummy round or next time you get a bad primer and see if the second pull releases the striker. It won't. The action of the slide is what cocks the striker on the Glock (and the M&P!).

ToddG
10-30-09, 19:44
That's because the trigger pull of a glock doesn't cock the striker.

Actually, the Glock striker is only partially "cocked" and the final compression of the striker spring does occur when the trigger is pressed.

The M&P and XD are completely (or almost completely) cocked by the slide action alone.

beastfrog
10-30-09, 19:51
Guess it's a matter of degree of pre-cocking. :)

I think we can all agree that not one of those three pistols is gonna fire the next round unless the slide moves.

gringop
10-30-09, 20:01
That's because the trigger pull of a glock doesn't cock the striker. Try pulling the trigger twice on a dummy round or next time you get a bad primer and see if the second pull releases the striker. It won't. The action of the slide is what cocks the striker on the Glock (and the M&P!).

The Glock trigger pulls the striker back a significant distance before it releases. So both the action of the slide AND the trigger cocks the striker.

On the M+P, the sear has a small hump on it that cams the striker back few hundredths of an inch before release. This was significant enough to get it placed in IDPA SSP division as a "safe action" pistol.

I'm not trying to get in a cockfight about the definition of cock. I understood perfectly what Kilroy was saying about his trigger pull.

Gringop

Hat Creek
10-31-09, 10:55

Might want to do a bit of research in addition to heeding the other comments posted here. Add to that close scrutiny of functional factory cutaways, and then factor in forensic examinations of the mechanism. Color all of that with the views of those who examine mechanisms for bid specification compliance, and you may see it otherwise.

Guess it's a matter of degree of pre-cocking. :)

I think we can all agree that not one of those three pistols is gonna fire the next round unless the slide moves.

Reliance on a second trigger pull to re-animate a dead round can be a hazardous thing. Please refer to quality training. When this actually happens, you'll only have the rest of your life to figure it out.

beastfrog
10-31-09, 12:51
Might want to do a bit of research . . . . . . . .

Been there, done that and that's why IMHO it's still a just a matter of degree.

Reliance on a second trigger pull to re-animate a dead round can be a hazardous thing. Please refer to quality training.

You must have this thread confused with another. No one here advocated relying on a second trigger pull. If the slide doesn't move then rack it! (Other things should occur as well, so your right, quality training will help.)

Suggestion to try the second pull was to prove that a Glock action is more similiar to an M&P and Xd than to a true double action. Nothing more, nothing less.

Truth is, Glocks and M&P's are both good for me and I feel comfortable with either.