PDA

View Full Version : Glock pistols and lead bullets?

Combat_Diver
10-20-09, 01:57
This week I've been offered a deal on a Special Forces special addition on a Glock 30 (SF,C,RTF) in .45 ACP. Now, I'm not a Glock fan as I've shot them and never like the feel, granted they work and always seem to. My question is how does the Glocks handle reloads and especially with lead bullets? I cast 95% of my 45 ACP bullets for my M1911 and would continue to shoot lead through the Glock if I get it. All my previous uses with a Glock had been with jacket bullets.

Thanks in advance.

CD

eXistenZ
10-20-09, 02:15
As I understand it you need an after market barrel to shoot lead, or at least it is HIGHLY recommended. Lone Wolf is the most cost effective with KKM and Bar-Sto being the high end. Hope this helps.

PS: If you buy it please post up some pics, I've never seen the version you mentioned.

M4arc
10-20-09, 06:27
PS: If you buy it please post up some pics, I've never seen the version you mentioned.

Me too, I'd love to see this particular G30 model.

It's not recommended that you shoot lead out of any polygonal barrel. You could purchase a Lone Wolf, KKM or Storm Lake barrel for shooting lead bullets.

NoBody
10-20-09, 06:36
I used to shoot lead through my Glock 23 when I was reloading. The rule-of-thumb I was taught was to fire a magazine of FMJ at the end of the range time. Thousands of rounds fired and the only issue was related to my reloading. ;)

BTW, if that's the same Glock deal that was offered to us in 2007 then you can get any Glock model. The Glock 30 is a fat little....well, you may have other choices besides the 30 if you're interested, CD. :D

John_Wayne777
10-20-09, 07:09
It says not to do it in the Glock manual. The reason is lead ammo can leave behind deposits in the polygonally-rifled barrel which build. This can eventually lead to an overpressure situation and then your tupperware pistol turns into a hand grenade.

How common this is, I cannot tell you. A lot of people on the internet say (yes...I know the value of what people say on the internet) that they shoot tons of lead through their Glocks without a problem. If I wanted to shoot lead bullets through a Glock I would replace the barrel with one of the conventionally rifled alternatives offered by a number of outfits these days at very reasonable prices. I consider it cheap insurance.

Detmongo
10-20-09, 07:43
i shot a few hundred rounds of lead reloads thru my g21 back in the day. i would not recomend shooting lead, but if you do i would check the bore for any leading. if leading builds up then pressures will spike and that when the ka-booms could happen. our cast your bullets hard, this will minimize lead build up.

Combat_Diver
10-20-09, 09:45
Thanks for all the imput guys. If I do get it, I'll post pictures first then get an aftermarket barrel designed for lead use. Seems my son is also going to get one. Pictures might take awhile as we both have months to go down range.

CD

kmrtnsn
10-20-09, 09:48
What is a Special Forces Edition Glock? I thought SF meant Short Frame.

Combat_Diver
10-20-09, 10:13
Its a Group buy and has the Special Forces crest engraved on it.

http://bigjohncountry.net/images/crest.gif

CD

M4arc
10-20-09, 11:23
Its a Group buy and has the Special Forces crest engraved on it.

http://bigjohncountry.net/images/crest.gif

CD

Where is that group buy taking place? Are they getting them straight from Glock or a distributor? My guess is a distributor.

Are you sure you're not looking at the G30SF (short frame) in this case and assuming it means Special Forces?

ToddG
10-20-09, 11:27
A ship in Fayettenam has done this with a couple of other gun companies in the recent past. While I was at SIG, we sold hundreds of P226 and P220 through that program. It was all the brainchild of a great 7th Group guy (Ed L.) who sadly lost his life here in the States when some idiot abandoned a car in the middle of the road late at night with no lights or flares ... Ed had no warning until he crashed right into it.

Combat_Diver
10-20-09, 11:49
My son in 10th SFGA sent me the email (he's down range also). He's ordering a 30sf mode with the embellishments. I understand its getting confusing on which SF/SF means (both). 101st here is have 101 Kahr Thompson semi auto rifles made with the Screaming Eagle on it. I've seen many units order especially engraved firearms with the unit crest/patches etc on them over the years deployed, I just never order one before.

CD

M4arc
10-20-09, 11:55
My son in 10th SFGA sent me the email (he's down range also). He's ordering a 30sf mode with the embellishments. I understand its getting confusing on which SF/SF means (both). 101st here is have 101 Kahr Thompson semi auto rifles made with the Screaming Eagle on it. I've seen many units order especially engraved firearms with the unit crest/patches etc on them over the years deployed, I just never order one before.

CD

Very cool and I'd love to see pictures when you get it.

BTW if you order a barrel from Lone Wolf you can get it in black and without the LW logo on the top of the barrel hood. That way it would look stock but still give you tha ability to shoot reloads without having to worry.

RAM Engineer
10-20-09, 12:17
I've seen Glock 19s done up custom like that for either 1-3 or one of the 4th ID attack battalions. Not sure whether they came from Glock or a distributor like that.

M4arc
10-20-09, 12:21
I've seen Glock 19s done up custom like that for either 1-3 or one of the 4th ID attack battalions. Not sure whether they came from Glock or a distributor like that.

Typically they come from a distribbutor.

murphy j
10-20-09, 21:28
I have a friend who shoots a G17 competitively and handloads all his rounds with moly-coated lead bullets. I asked him the same question about lead bullets in a Glock barrel and he told me that regular lead bullets are not so good, but that the moly-coated ones are good to go.

ChicagoTex
10-21-09, 00:58
I have a friend who shoots a G17 competitively and handloads all his rounds with moly-coated lead bullets. I asked him the same question about lead bullets in a Glock barrel and he told me that regular lead bullets are not so good, but that the moly-coated ones are good to go.

That's interesting, perhaps the molybdenum coating helps keep the bullet from "shaving" in the barrel?

tpd223
10-21-09, 02:21
I saw a Glock 17 wrecked during an NRA instructor course by the shooter firing lead bullet ammo through it, then firing FMJ afterwards.

I have also seen several .357s with bulged barrels due to this little "cleaning tip".

ChicagoTex
10-21-09, 02:34
I have also seen several .357s with bulged barrels due to this little "cleaning tip".

Indeed, the fantasy is that the copper bullet just "sweeps away" the lead residue, when it is instead restricted by it, increasing chamber and barrel pressure.

My Father believed this too until I explained the real physics of the situation to him. Fortunately, he hated shooting .357 Mag.

Combat_Diver
10-21-09, 06:38
Update...

My son ordered himself a Glock 30sf with the bells and whistles. He ordered for me a Glock 19 at my request because it seems that I have a bunch of extra unused mags for said pistol in my collection. (he'll get the one 13rd Glock .45 mag that there also). My ordered engraved (not sure if 10th SFGA with be engraved on it, but my son and I both served that Group) Glock 19rtf will have the OD green frame, night sights, case and 3 mags. It'll get a light mounted to it and replace my Smith 6904 as my bedroom gun (been thinking for a long time to put a Glock 19 there for the wife when I'm gone). The 6904 will eat up my lead and be my summer carry gun. When not hunting in cold weather the 1911 goes on. I'll watch the Glocks diet until I get another barrel for lead. Thanks for the heads up and I'll post pictures when I can.

CD

RAM Engineer
10-21-09, 07:11
Update...

My ordered engraved (not sure if 10th SFGA with be engraved on it, but my son and I both served that Group) Glock 19rtf will have the OD green frame, night sights, case and 3 mags. It'll get a light mounted to it and replace my Smith 6904 as my bedroom gun

I DEFINITELY want to see pics of that. Sounds great! I've not seen an RTF frame in OD yet.

wesprt
10-28-09, 08:11
With the proper lube, alloy and sizing you can shoot lead until the end of time in a Glock barrel, it simply won't lead. Fudge any one of those and you can have issues. If you can get the combination right go for it, it will save you a shit ton of money and save you a bunch of wear on the barrel

Combat_Diver
04-17-10, 13:40
My son finally sent me some pics of my NIB G19 RTF OD Frame w/night sights and SF Crest (supposed to be a RTF but doesn't it look like a standard?). Who is getting a better deal with me giving him my old Smith M29-2 6.5" P&R, presentation case and Old El Paso Saddlery #2 holster?

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0340_G19.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0341_G19.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0341_CU_Crest.JPG

CD

skyugo
04-17-10, 14:16
I've fired about 1500 coated lead bullets (from precision bullets) through my G19. It does get a bit dirtier, but it works. i usually bore snake it every 200 rounds or so just out of paranoia mostly.
haven't tried straight up lead. i've heard quality hard cast bullet work decently.

CoryCop25
04-17-10, 14:25
The Glock armorer's school said a BIG NO for shooting lead.
As for the pistol, you are speaking about, I did a transfer for one at our shop for a G21 and they are absolutely beautiful!

Quiet-Matt
04-17-10, 15:06
(supposed to be a RTF but doesn't it look like a standard?)
Yeah, thats not RTF

John_Wayne777
04-17-10, 18:07
That's certainly a cool Flock but I think that the Smith would be the better deal.

...and no, that's not an RTF frame.

ralph
04-17-10, 21:31
I don't know about Glocks..But I'm shooting hard cast lead through my Hk's, with ZERO problems. The key here is this..use a bullet of proper hardness, and keep the velocitys down and you won't have a problem. I usually shoot 2-300 rnds at a time, the polygonal barrel is no dirtier than a land and groove barrel, no build up of anything in front of the chamber, nothing. Cleanup takes a little more effort but not that much. The comments about shooting jacketed bullets after shooting lead in a effort to "clean" the barrel are hogwash...All your doing is burnishing the lead into the barrel, lead is very mallable, a copper jacketed bullet would be harder, and what did'nt get pushed out the end of the barrel literally gets pushed in, making it very hard to get out. If going from cast lead to copper jacketed bullets, the smart thing(and easiest) to do is clean the barrel out first...

CAVDOC
04-18-10, 10:00
the no lead in glocks thing is NOT a big deal- I shoot lead almost exclusively and the key is to drop a bore snake or quick brush down the bore every 2-3 hundred rounds. that is all thats needed. over pressure problems come from shooting large amounts of lead without cleaning and /or shooting jacketed after lead without cleaning