PDA

View Full Version : 9x19 CorBon DPX... yeah or nay Doc?

Littlebear
10-20-09, 14:44
I searched and could not find any reference to this round in the "Duty Loads" or other threads...
Is this a worthy round? Would one be served as well with the 124gr Federal Bonded (my current carry load) or the Ranger 147gr? The Fereral 124gr Bonded does not appear in the ATK catalog anymore... :(
How "snappy" is the DPX round in a full-size handgun (G17)? Thanks for the input.

DocGKR
10-20-09, 15:33
First entry in the 9 mm loads: "Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)". Do any 9 mm loads "snap" from a full size pistol???

Littlebear
10-20-09, 17:08
Dang! Plain as day...:rolleyes:
As for the "snap" it was more of a subjective comparison... Are we taking 9BPLE or Ranger 127gr +P+ blast? The only 9x19 I did not care much for were the "black tipped" IMI sub-gun rounds we were issued in the late 80s for our SIG 226s...
That seems so long ago!

tpd223
10-21-09, 02:25
The 115gr DPX seems rather low recoil in my experience, as is the 140gr .40 round.

DocGKR
10-21-09, 12:37
Because of the light projectile weight, most of the loads we have shot using the Barnes XPB bullets have felt rather mild and were easily controllable.

PA PATRIOT
10-21-09, 21:27

Schulze
10-30-09, 00:02
How "snappy" is the DPX round in a full-size handgun (G17)? Thanks for the input.

The round is advertised as being "+p" but the cartridge has a smaller powder charge than 115 grain loads of traditional construction so recoil, in my experience, is as mild as any 115 grain practice load.

WS6
10-31-09, 21:45
The round is advertised as being "+p" but the cartridge has a smaller powder charge than 115 grain loads of traditional construction so recoil, in my experience, is as mild as any 115 grain practice load.

It is +P because the longer bearing surface of the 115gr projectile (due to it being copper and not lead/gilding metal) causes an increase in pressure over standard loads, even when loaded similarly, due to more friction in the bore driving pressure up.

Schulze
10-31-09, 21:53
It is +P because the longer bearing surface of the 115gr projectile (due to it being copper and not lead/gilding metal) causes an increase in pressure over standard loads, even when loaded similarly, due to more friction in the bore driving pressure up.

I don't buy that. I've weighed charges from Cor-Bon dpx and Corbon jhp and the dpx was lower by 1.4 grains.

WS6
10-31-09, 22:32
I don't buy that. I've weighed charges from Cor-Bon dpx and Corbon jhp and the dpx was lower by 1.4 grains.

Okay, what reason do YOU propose for the chamber-pressure falling within the "+P" category even though it has less powder (we are assuming of the same type...) than a non +P load? Do you have a better reason than increased bearing surface due to the longer projectile 2* to it being made from a lighter material = more friction driving pressure up?

Schulze
10-31-09, 22:37
The copper is less dense than lead, so the bullet is longer and protrudes deeper into the case, and thus there is less volume behind the bullet.

WS6
10-31-09, 22:52
The copper is less dense than lead, so the bullet is longer and protrudes deeper into the case, and thus there is less volume behind the bullet.

Here is what Barnes has to say on the matter:

"Because TSX Bullets are all-copper, they have different pressure characteristics compared to conventional jacketed bullets. In our lab, we have experienced best pressures and accuracy when TSX Bullets are seated .030″ – .070″ off the lands (the grooves or rifling in a barrel.) The majority of the time, we’ve seen optimum accuracy when bullets are seated .050″ off the lands, so start there. Then move backward or forward in .005″ – .010″ increments to find the “sweet spot” for your particular rifle."
http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/bullet-talk/tips/

Note, this is in reguards to their rifle bullets.