PDA

View Full Version : Buffer question

Lincoln7
10-20-09, 16:56
Hi everyone. New member here. I recently purchased a Bushmaster M4A3 and have picking up the slack where Bushy left off. I staked the gas key and will stake the castle nut when my sling mount end plate arrives. I want to upgrade the buffer to an H but was wondering if anyone sells just the tungsten weights? That would definately be cheaper and easy to do. Are there any other differences between the two than type weights? Thanks.

Eric
10-21-09, 00:34
No and no.
H buffers only run about $19.

Col_Crocs
10-21-09, 01:51
Glad to see youre getting these things done. Youre better off getting an H2 IMHO. Bushies tend to have larger gas ports from what Ive researched and the H2 may just be what you need. If it short strokes, take it apart and switch weights with your CAR buffer and you end up with 2 H buffers.
Also, Your RE may have loctite on it, in which case, it would require heating before removal. Do a search on Bushy RE Removal or Bushy upgrades, you should find all Bushy issues there plus fixes. Iraqgunz's name should pop up too -- He has a lot of info on this and he's very helpful.

Lincoln7
10-21-09, 05:35
The rifle runs just fine right now, is something going to wear out and require me to have an H or H2 buffer? Col Crocs, that is a very good idea to get an H2 so I can make two H buffers if it doesn't run right. I think I should buy some tungsten stock and sell my own "Buffer Upgrade Kits", lol. I'll be my first customer :)

Col_Crocs
10-21-09, 07:21
Generally it will cycle fine. The point of the upgrade is to allow for a longer dwell time/pressure equalization before bolt unlocking and case ejection and reduce bolt speed, which in turn, will give you a more reasonable amount of part stress. plus better handling as an added benefit.
Bushies, however, due to the larger gas port, will naturally have even more pressure (as compared to a milspec barrel with a .063" size gas port plus H buffer.). To compensate for this, I recommend the H2 although some I think might say H3 if I remember correctly from a past thread.
Normally the best way to do this if you have several options at hand is to use the heaviest buffer that cycles and locks your bolt back at empty. -- Also consider that the strength of your new spring also comes into play. It may not lock back on an H2 or H3 now but you'll be surprised to see not too far in the future that it will as you spring will have settled by then. (I suppose this part answers your question on things wearing out. :) )
Sorry for the rant... :) keep us posted on your progress.

Robb Jensen
10-21-09, 08:09
The Bushmaster barrel has a gas port of larger than .062" from the factory. This is because they believe that non LE/Military people will be shooting .223 Rem SAAMI pressure ammo primarly.

Because of this with 5.56mm NATO pressure you'll be overgassed which can cause a variety of problems...like problems with extraction, low round count bolt life etc. If I were using a Bushmaster barrel I'd use an H with .223 pressure ammo and a H2 with 5.56mm NATO pressure ammo.

I'd also upgrade the extractor spring at a minimum with a Crane O-ring or better yet with a BCM extractor, black buffer and BCM ext. spring. BCM makes a nice SOPMOD extractor upgrade kit that everyone should have in their spares box. The kit comes with a new extractor, extractor spring, black buffer, Crane O-ring, extractor pin and a set of gas rings.

rob_s
10-21-09, 08:25
I'd also upgrade the extractor spring at a minimum with a Crane O-ring or better yet with a BCM extractor, black buffer and BCM ext. spring. BCM makes a nice SOPMOD extractor upgrade kit that everyone should have in their spares box. The kit comes with a new extractor, extractor spring, black buffer, Crane O-ring, extractor pin and a set of gas rings.

I'm not a "+1" kind of guy, but this is right on in every way, including that everyone should have one of these in the spares box.

Dean Caputo says AR failures are primarily caused by MEAL
Magazines
Extractor (and associated parts)
Ammo
Lube

My experience has born this out, and it's why the only spare parts that lived in my parts bag for a very long time were BCM's kits. I've now added one whole BCG because it's easier to get shooters up and running and one of each weight of buffer from C-H3. But if you really think about it, it's still all about correcting extraction issues.

C4IGrant
10-21-09, 08:46
The Bushmaster barrel has a gas port of larger than .062" from the factory. This is because they believe that non LE/Military people will be shooting .223 Rem SAAMI pressure ammo primarly.

Because of this with 5.56mm NATO pressure you'll be overgassed which can cause a variety of problems...like problems with extraction, low round count bolt life etc. If I were using a Bushmaster barrel I'd use an H with .223 pressure ammo and a H2 with 5.56mm NATO pressure ammo.

What? When did this happen? I thought BM was "mil-spec?" :D

C4

Lincoln7
10-21-09, 14:52
Thanks, guys. Those were just the answers I was looking for. Extractor upgrade was already in 'My Cart' but I didn't know what buffer to go with. I am going to pick up an H2 and if it doesn't like it, I'll swap out a tungsten weight to make an H.

Nygma
10-22-09, 16:34
H buffers only run about $19.

Where? I'm looking for an H2. Brownell's wants $44.64 for this when all I need are a couple of tungsen weights.

Fireglock
10-22-09, 16:55
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/H2-Carbine-Buffer-p/buffer%20carbine%20h2.htm

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=H2BB&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dbuffer%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Here are two locations, top 29.95, bottom 27.00.

ETA: first time was H buffers

C4IGrant
10-22-09, 16:59
Also remember that not all buffers are equal. A lot of companies use the incorrect (read cheaper) tungsten.

We only buy buffers that are using the more expensive tungsten (proper weight).

C4

Nygma
10-22-09, 17:44
Also remember that not all buffers are equal. A lot of companies use the incorrect (read cheaper) tungsten.
We only buy buffers that are using the more expensive tungsten (proper weight).

Thanks for the heads up. I have oodles of this stuff from shortening carbide cutting tools when I was a toolmaker. I'm sure some of it is the right diameter, except that now I have no way to cut it to length. :rolleyes:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/H2-Carbine-Buffer-p/buffer%20carbine%20h2.htm

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=H2BB&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dbuffer%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

Here are two locations, top 29.95, bottom 27.00.

ETA: first time was H buffers

thanks folks

Eric
10-23-09, 06:40
Where? I'm looking for an H2. Brownell's wants $44.64 for this when all I need are a couple of tungsen weights.

CMT here at G&R (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HB&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dbuffer%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html)
LMT here at RA. (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=119)