PDA

View Full Version : new bolt/barrel extension mating-- inspection pics

bill_d
10-20-09, 19:19
in these pictures, one can see the often discussed initial setback that occurs in a new bolt/barrel extension combination.
this was a brand new rifle and inspection pics were taken after 250 rounds of privi partisan 55gr ball, 62gr green tip ball, and some black hills blue box 55gr softpoint (250 rounds combined).

take note of the lugs surrounding the extractor slot. they have been known to experience different forces than the remaining lugs.
1. ( this is the problem armalite attempts to address by removing some metal in this area to enable the other lugs to more uniformly distribute the forces around the lug pattern. i think this leads them away from the TDP )
2. (since this is a bcm bolt, we can see how bcm machining techniques address this relationship. i think this is in accordance with the TDP; precise edges and reinforcing fillets , in short, more metal is left in place.)
3.(the knights solution to the bolt stresses involves more and different radius cuts in strategic places ; as does the lmt solution.)

there are several schools of thought on this load bearing lug relationship.
my purpose here is merely to provide a bit of empirical data for visualization.
the pics, that is.

jmart
10-20-09, 19:46
Do you know the failure rates for Armalite, BCM and KAC bolts?

bill_d
10-20-09, 20:39
hey jmart,
i don't really know anything about the failure rates.
just what the various makers mention about their
designs in the forum.
i do remember some research done by USMC on the subject
of bolt lifespan. that was some years ago, though.

Robb Jensen
10-20-09, 20:42
Looks like normal wear patterns to me.......I'm just a Chairborne Ranger or as MTR7 (my good friend Matt the Rockstar aka the stud on page 56 of SWAT) says a Buffet Commando!

Fireglock
10-20-09, 21:55
a Buffet Commando!

Ouch! :)

bill_d
10-21-09, 09:33
hey gotm4,
normal wear is what i thought too.

just a visual aid for the archives.

guys that see a lot of hard use weapons report the cracks in the lugs often appear around the lower engagememt surfaces of lugs.
number 1(pic shows a bit of a burr there).

corrosion and pitting often factor into the initial formation of the cracks according to the USMC reports.

the rust on one lug was there one day after the shooting session in a summer thunderstorm. that was the exposed lug.

...complying with chairborne general order something or other,
GET ENOUGH FOOD.

AYE. SIR