PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 7.62x39.....Awesome!!!

Redline
10-20-09, 22:05
I recently bought one of these. It's made by Izhmash and imported by Russian American Armory. It is the 16 inch barrel version with a hunting stock and 10 rd mag. I paid $500 here in NJ but u can find them on gunbroker for about $350.

I couldn't be happier with it. So far I only shot 20 rds of Wolf fmj and 20 rds of Golden Tiger fmj ammo but I had no jams and I was very pleasantly surprised at the group sizes.

The quality is incredible too. Also, this is my first experience with an AK variant and I can't believe how simple the design is and how easy it is to field strip. I highly recommend this rifle.

They make a 223 and a 308 version. But I wanted to get as close as possible to the original AK-47 so I went with the 7.62x39. And that also happens to be the cheapest of the 3 to shoot right now.

warpigM-4
10-21-09, 00:10
I converted this Saiga with a side folder .It is by far my favorite AK I have owned,eats anything you load it with

My AK-103:D

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/DSCN0025.jpg

Redline
10-21-09, 22:36
Very nice gun. I like the bottle too!!!

Fuguar
10-22-09, 10:46
I was thinking about doing exactly what you have done.

How difficult was it and how much $?

I think it is still cheaper than buying a current AK and dealing with cobbed up assembly/ quality issues like canted sights and mismatching furniture.

Thanks.

CGoodwin
10-22-09, 11:15
Man, I have looked at those, as well as at the Saiga 12 shotgun. I kind of wish that I had "pulled the trigger" on one of these rather than my last two AR's. Cheap to own and use, easy to maintain, effective out to slightly less range with more impact. Oh well. I have one more gun to sell, and then I'll probably pick one up. When all is said and done, I will have:
1. 11.5" BCM SBR
2. Vector V51 .308/7.62x51
3. Saiga 7.62x39
4. Remington 700 5R .308
5. ALL MY HANDGUNS
Pretty good armory for when the zombies come a knockin'!!!

Fuguar
10-22-09, 11:51
Yeah, I bought some AR's, but an looking to add a 7.62x39 "AK" to the collection. I saw a Vepr for $700+ and a new Saiga for $345. Can't beat it with a stick. Can get the Saiga 7.62x39 + 12 gage for the cost of an AR.

7.62x39 is coming down to sub $200/1000 rnds again.

This is the calm before the storm. Wish I had not pulled the trigger on some things during the height of the panic...

warpigM-4
10-23-09, 17:00
I was thinking about doing exactly what you have done.

How difficult was it and how much $?

I think it is still cheaper than buying a current AK and dealing with cobbed up assembly/ quality issues like canted sights and mismatching furniture.

Thanks.
well Just for the rear trunnion and stock was about 120 I got the saiga off Gun broker for 350.Bought a fake receiver that was set up with the folding stock 20 bucks .
used it to get my measurements ,cut the rear of receiver in my bedroom floor with a dremel:D took all of 30 minutes.
I did Bubba up the front latch hole that locks the stock forward the hole didn't come out perfect but functions,But it is a AK LOL;)

so 490.00 way cheaper than what is out there ,I think if you have any mechanical skills you can do it ,just take your time and measure twice:D

and thanks for the comments on the weapon,I had about 14 AKs in my life so far Poly techs ,Bulgarian,Vepr,Saiga 12 this is my second conversion to a Saiga 7.62 .I am down to just this one.I always said once I get a Russian AK I was done.My cousin who lives in GA Got me the Vodka .it is here you just got to look

Fuguar
10-23-09, 20:39
There is a lot of "stuff" available right now. I think it is the calm before the storm. I came across a Vepr. Very nice gun, but I wish it had a shorter barrel. I understand that it was not intended to be an assault weapon.

I am checking out my options right now. The Saiga I was looking at is gone. It was $365 new. I came home to check on prices. It was gone...

Redline
10-23-09, 20:55
I converted this Saiga with a side folder .It is by far my favorite AK I have owned,eats anything you load it with

My AK-103:D

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/DSCN0025.jpg

Hey I have a question on the picture. I see from the quote thing about your picture that u use photo bucket. I have an acct but haven't used it much. My question is this. Is web hosting like photo bucket the only way you can get your picture to show up in the post instead of a link? When I upload pictures to m4carbine.net it shows up as a link but everyone else has the actual picture showing.

Redline
10-23-09, 21:14
Yeah, I bought some AR's, but an looking to add a 7.62x39 "AK" to the collection. I saw a Vepr for $700+ and a new Saiga for $345. Can't beat it with a stick. Can get the Saiga 7.62x39 + 12 gage for the cost of an AR.

7.62x39 is coming down to sub $200/1000 rnds again.

This is the calm before the storm. Wish I had not pulled the trigger on some things during the height of the panic...

Do you know where u can actually get 1k of 7.62x39 for less than $200? I'd like to know where if possible please. The best price I've seen on gunbroker in the last month or 2 is $279 plus $20 shipping for Wolf ammo. Last weekend I was at the Allentown, PA show and that same ammo was $225 which I thought was awesome. But if u know a place that sells 1k for under $200 let me know please. Thanks.

ssgjason
10-23-09, 21:20
not under 200 but right at it...
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Tula_Catridge_Works_7.62x39_122grn_FMJ.html

ETA out of stock but still good prices. I have had the best service with AIM and they never raised their prices during the panic buying this past year

Redline
10-23-09, 22:16
not under 200 but right at it...
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Tula_Catridge_Works_7.62x39_122grn_FMJ.html

ETA out of stock but still good prices. I have had the best service with AIM and they never raised their prices during the panic buying this past year

Thanks for the info.

warpigM-4
10-24-09, 03:08
Hey I have a question on the picture. I see from the quote thing about your picture that u use photo bucket. I have an acct but haven't used it much. My question is this. Is web hosting like photo bucket the only way you can get your picture to show up in the post instead of a link? When I upload pictures to m4carbine.net it shows up as a link but everyone else has the actual picture showing.

check your PM

Fuguar
10-24-09, 09:21
Do you know where u can actually get 1k of 7.62x39 for less than $200? I'd like to know where if possible please. The best price I've seen on gunbroker in the last month or 2 is $279 plus $20 shipping for Wolf ammo. Last weekend I was at the Allentown, PA show and that same ammo was $225 which I thought was awesome. But if u know a place that sells 1k for under $200 let me know please. Thanks.

I was at a gun show in Manchester, NH last weekend. I had seen it for around $180 for Romanian, $200 for Russian. I do not have a 7.62x39, so I did not look too closely at the round count. A local shop has 1k for $225.

MPi-KMS-72
10-24-09, 12:21

Centerfire Systems had Yugoslav military 7.62*39 for $199 and $10 flat rate shipping a little while ago (last week maybe) might be worth checking them out.

warpigM-4
10-24-09, 12:29
Centerfire Systems had Yugoslav military 7.62*39 for $199 and $10 flat rate shipping a little while ago (last week maybe) might be worth checking them out.

if it is the M67 It is corrosive So clean that weapon after shooting, But I heard it is GTG

MPi-KMS-72
10-24-09, 12:37
yep it is M67, I haven't used M67 in years but when I did I liked it. I may have to buy some more. It IS definitely corrosive so that might deter some people. I'm used to corrosive ammo so my cleaning regime doesn't change much when I use it. It is a good thing to be aware of though.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/am762y1000.aspx