View Full Version : Tactical Carbine M4/AR-15 Course 11/21/2009 in Virginia

DCJS Instructor
10-21-09, 11:58
AR-15 / M4 TACTICAL CARBINE & PISTOL COURSE

November 21,2009 starting @ 9:00am - 5pm

Prerequisite: Basic Understnding of Safety & a good 50 yard BZO

Class Size: 10 Students Max

Instructors: Tom Perroni & CCJA Staff Instructors

This course is designed to develop a solid foundation of shooting skills with the carbine. The student will exercise these skills in a variety of shooting situations. The student will quickly gain experience, confidence and increase their skill level with the carbine and using it in tactical situations.

The following topics will be discussed during the course:

• Safety
• Nomenclature
• Armorer Maintenance & Proper Lubrication
• Fundamentals of shooting: Stance, Sights, Grip, Trigger Control
• Malfunction Drills (Tap, Rack, Fight) Status Check
• Magazine Changes & Weapons Handling Skills
• Multiple shoots, Multiple targets, Shoot, Move Communicate
• Shooting on the move, Shooting reactive targets
• Shooting behind cover and from barricades
• Transition from Carbine to Handgun
• Breaking Contact & Peeling Left & Right (Bounding)

This one day course is very comprehensive and packs in a great deal of information. It is not a canned course, it is very dynamic and teaches real world skills from Instructors that operate or have operated in High Threat Environments. You will learn more in this one day course than you will from most 2/3 day courses.

CCJA & PTTA M4/ AR-15 Tactical Carbine Course
Gear Requirements:

Rifle / Carbine M4, AR-15, M16 AK, H&K, FN
Tactical Sling
(3/4) 30 Round Magazines
Magazine pouch
Handgun in Semi-auto
Strong side holster
3 Magazines
Magazine pouch
Handheld Light / pouch
Spare Batteries
Knee Pads
Water and Snacks
Wrap Around Eye Protection (clear)
Ear Protection (electronic muffs recommended)
Baseball style hat
Gloves
Weapons Lube & tools

Ammunition Requirements
Pistol 200 Rounds Pistol
Carbine 500 Rounds (.223,5.56,.308,7.62)
Extra Ammunition is recommended, the above numbers are minimums.

WE WILL BE SELLING AMMO FOR THIS COURSE CALL for PRICES!

Additional Gear for Tactics Courses
(for LEO’s & Pre Vetting WPPS, HTT, or HRE operators)
Body Armor with plates
Helmet if issued
Drop leg holster
Basic Medical Kit / Blow out Kit

Course Cost: $150.00

This Course Includes training each day and the CCJA Patrol Rifle AR-15 / M-4 Course Book. After successful completion of the course the student will receive a training completion certificate. Course starts @ 9:00am @ 1380 Central Park Blvd, suite 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401

For More Information or to sign up for the course contact Tom Perroni at:
www.ccjatraining.com
tomperroni@msn.com or (540) 322-3000 or (540) 846-7088

Battlepack
10-29-09, 06:13
Tom - I sent an email a couple of days ago inquiring about signing up. Thanks.

John P.

C45P312
10-30-09, 15:36
Tom-I too sent an email a couple days ago inquiring about the class.

Thanks
-Carlo

GMZ
11-11-09, 15:54
I cant wait to take this course

mgbrookman
11-13-09, 21:26
I've taken a couple of Tom's classes and they are worth every penny, just to shoot steel is worth it. When I say steel I don't mean his suburban, still sorry about that Tom. :eek: Mike

JSantoro
11-17-09, 10:06
Myself and a buddy will be attending. Tom gives a good class, looking forward to it.

DCJS Instructor
11-17-09, 15:30
Tom-I too sent an email a couple days ago inquiring about the class.

Thanks
-Carlo

PM Sent!

Tom

DCJS Instructor
11-17-09, 15:37
Tom - I sent an email a couple of days ago inquiring about signing up. Thanks.

John P.

PM Sent!

Tom

JeepDriver
11-17-09, 22:16
I've attended 2 class with CCJA so far and have enjoyed both.

I was there last Sunday (11-15-09) for a bit of a private class set up from another forum. It's Tuesday night and I'm still sore. We ran some interesting drills not normally ran in carbine classes.

Several different AAR's are posted in this thread at MDShooters.com. (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=27297)

glock_forty5
11-18-09, 20:36
I've attended 2 class with CCJA so far and have enjoyed both.

I was there last Sunday (11-15-09) for a bit of a private class set up from another forum. It's Tuesday night and I'm still sore. We ran some interesting drills not normally ran in carbine classes.

Several different AAR's are posted in this thread at MDShooters.com. (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=27297)

Sunday the 15th was intense! I am still trying to get my head out of the clouds and get my focus back for work! LOL:p

JSantoro
11-21-09, 23:36
We-h-h-h-ellllllllll, it turns out that the pal of mine that wanted to attend is as attentive as a bag of hammers; seems he thought I meant next Saturday for this class. Unfortunate, as he would have enjoyed himself immensely. I'll have to try and get him down here another time.

I'll end up putting my specific take for the CCJA class in here later. I'm beat; my rifle was hiccuping on me, and I've spent these hours since the class running down the "Why?" I kept a bunch of folks waiting during a couple of drills as a result of the issue, for which I offer my sincere apologies to my classmates. None of them paid to watch me beat my rifle against the ground and listen to me swear sulfurously. Hopefully, some of them were able to mentally point at me, laugh, and get some entertainment out of it.

Bottom Line Up Front: If I hear hoofbeats, I should perhaps think "Horsies!" instead of "Zebras!"

1st issue:
Long story short, when a round went into the chamber, the bolt was basically jammed in place. The weapon would still fire, extract, eject properly, but if I needed to conduct IA, do a charging-handle brass check, and the like, the bolt wouldn't budge short of a HARD thump with the heel of the hand on the CH or thumping the stock into the turf to kick it free. It held up the line, which was actually the most frustrating part.

It was the ammo. I had all 55gr rounds, but from two different makers mixed amongst all my mags, and I hadn't batched the mags by ammo manufacturer. If I had, I might have figured it out sooner, the fact that my issues were intermittent until the latter half of our range time having completely escaped me. Thought it was something up with the bolt (bolts, actually, tried 2 different ones), the chamber, or even (lord help me for thinking this) the charging handle I'd just gotten and was trying out for the first time. Problem solved. I've culled all the offending-brand rounds, though I'm still gonna double-check with other ammo @ NRA tomorrow, just to confirm.

2nd issue:
Simpler. A piece on my holster broke, leaving my pistol stuck in the holster. No biggie, dumped my whole 1st line belt after getting the pistol extracted and went with my concealment setup. I'll get with the manufacturer if need be, but I think I can fix my holster myself and be happy, with the grace of Crom and some good epoxy.

On a somewhat related note, many thanks to gotm4 for the trigger job and the Warren sights on my M&P45. It made a hell of a difference to me, and I'll be having the same done with my 9c in the future.

Thanks, of course, to Mr Perroni and his staff. They run a damned good course. More on why I say that after I've scrubbed off my shame of just how dense I am and gotten some sleep.

Pelican82
11-22-09, 16:17
Riverine, may I ask what type of ammo it was?

Yeah I was worried when you were having problems and you thought it was your charging handle, because I had just purchased the same one.

JSantoro
11-22-09, 21:11
I really don't know. It's a factory-reloaded M193 clone. Grabbing a handful of it and looking at the base of each round would net you 4 different stamps on the brass. It's all pulled, and I need to dispose of it somehow, though I won't do that until I get a credible explanation as to why it did what it did; I just won't use it.

All the rest of my stuff is PRVI, PMC, and Centurion, all known to work just fine. Tested the gun today with ammo known to be good,

Most emphatically NOT the CH. Every time I thought of that, a little voice in my head was saying "Is that even possible?" It really defied design and logic, but it was literally the only new thing on the gun since the last time I successfully ran it, so I sorta vapor-locked on it.

Dumb.

glock_forty5
11-23-09, 16:49
I really don't know. It's a factory-reloaded M193 clone. Grabbing a handful of it and looking at the base of each round would net you 4 different stamps on the brass. It's all pulled, and I need to dispose of it somehow, though I won't do that until I get a credible explanation as to why it did what it did; I just won't use it.

All the rest of my stuff is PRVI, PMC, and Centurion, all known to work just fine. Tested the gun today with ammo known to be good,

Most emphatically NOT the CH. Every time I thought of that, a little voice in my head was saying "Is that even possible?" It really defied design and logic, but it was literally the only new thing on the gun since the last time I successfully ran it, so I sorta vapor-locked on it.

Dumb.

What was wrong with your holster and what type of holster was it?

JSantoro
11-23-09, 19:49
Safariland 6378.

The plastic block that rests under the forward edge of the pistol's trigger guard, when holstered, broke more or less in half; the bottom of it is doubtless somewhere on the range. The remainder gradually swiveled upward, and the corner of it snared the light rail, trapping the pistol in the holster.

Got it rotated back into place, and will likely glue it there with Gorilla Glue or epoxy.