View Full Version : Basic Pistol (Handgun) Course in Virginia 11/7/09

DCJS Instructor
10-21-09, 12:00
BASIC TACTICAL PISTOL (Handgun) COURSE

November 7, 2009 9:00am

Prerequisite: None
Class Size: 15 Students Max
Instructors: Tom Perroni & CCJA Staff Instructors

This course is designed to develop safe firearm handling skills. The student will learn the basic fundamentals of shooting and how to safely draw their weapon out of the holster. The student will also develop a solid foundation of shooting skills. The student will quickly gain experience, confidence and increase their skill level with their handgun. The following topics will be discussed during the course:

• Safety (4 Rules)
• Draw (5 Steps)
• Fundamentals of shooting (Grip, Stance, Sight’s, Trigger Control)
• Malfunctions (Tap, Rack, Fight)
• (1) handed shooting & reloading
• CQB / close in fighting with a handgun
• Anti Car-Jacking drills
• "FATS" Shoot / No Shoot simulation (Time Permitting)
• Virginia Concealed Handgun & Firearms Law
• Golden Rules of Deadly Force in Self Defense (Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy and Preclusion.)

Ammunition Requirements: 300 rounds (minimum) of ammunition.
we will be selling ammunition at this course. Call for prices.

Gear List: Pistol, hip holster, three magazines, magazine holders, sturdy belt, wraparound eye protection, ear protection, Baseball type cap and a flashlight. (Surefire Type)

we welcome revolvers in class with (2) speed loaders at a minimum.

Course Cost:
$150.00 tuition fee, which includes 8- 10 hours instruction, and a certificate of completion. And the CCJA Basic Pistol Course Book.

The Classroom portion of the class will be held @ 1380 Central Park Blvd Suite 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401. 9:00am. For more information or to register for this course contact Tom Perroni:

www.ccjatraining.com

tomperroni@msn.com (540) 322-3000 or (540) 846-7088

COURSE AAR's:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...m-perroni.html

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=22447

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34457

DCJS Instructor
11-08-09, 19:38
11/7/09 Basic Tactical Carbine

Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy Fredericksburg Va.

We started out at 9am in the morning with intros of me and my Instructor Cadre.
There were 4 of us on hand for this class. Then the class of 10 people did a quick intro and we were off. Each student got a copy of my book Basic Tactical Pistol Shooting for reference

We covered:

Safety
Range Rules (360 HOT)
Range Commands / Team Communication
Combat Mindset
3 Types of People in the world
Color code with my own additions
OODA Loop
Physiological / Physiological effects of a gun fight
Cover V. Concealment
Deadly Use of Force (AOJP)
Grip / Stance / Sight Alignment / Sight Picture
Front Sight Focus
Proper Trigger Control
Proper Movement / and why!
Proper Gear Placement
5 Steps to the DRAW
Handgun Manipulation (In the Work Space)
Intro to Extreme CQB
How to train after the class with dry fire drills and techniques.

On the Range. Using proper communication for team drills.

1. Started off with TORTURE DOTS (1 ½ inch circles) to confirm front sight focus and trigger control. From 1 yard to 7 yards.
2. Then moved to NRA LE Targets for Failure to stop drills.
3. We covered proper reloads / Emergency / Speed /Tactical and when to use each and why.
4. Then we worked one handed shooting drills strong hand and support hand.
5. We did the fight to your feet drill. Staring on your back and ending up on your feet.
6. Then we did officer survival drills shooting and reloading and clearing malfunctions with one hand.
7. We then worked on Malfunctions drills.
8. Type one malfunction we induced the malfunction and worked through it TAP RACK FIGHT.
9. Type two malfunction stove pipe we picked up spent brass created a stove pipe and worked through the drill. TAP RACK(correctly) Fight
10. Type three malfunction double feed we created a double feed and worked through the drill. RIP RACK REPLACE RACK.
11. We learned how to shoot upside down on our backs.
12. We now added MOVEMENT on the draw stroke and on the reload.
13. We shot moving forward towards the threat.
14. We shot moving backwards away from the threat.
15. We did Turn and Shoot drills 90 and 180 degrees.
16. We learned how to properly use cover and shoot from cover standing kneeling and how to roll out and only give the bad guy an eyeball and a gun barrel. (Don’t crowd cover)
17. We learned the difference between cover and concealment and we saw first hand that bullets can go through vehicles
18. We did very close team shooting drills (The students loved this it simulates a real gunfight. I can only say you have to be here to experience it.)
19. We then moved into CQB Shooting from (1) inch up to (1) yard. With Movement.
20. The students were shown several methods of unsighted fire and how to use the body to index and how to hold and cant the handgun.
21. We finished up with the Steel Challenge starting at 7 yards and moving back to 25 yards. It was amazing how well the students progressed through the course.

I am looking forward to some AAR’s and hopefully Jade will have some pictures up soon!

I want to thank Jade Former Marine and current PSD Contractor/ Pete Former Navy SEAL and current PSD Contractor and Mark Range Safety officer for all the help in this class. The average round count for this course is 300 rounds most people shot 400 rounds and we finished up at 5pm. 8 Hours of fun! I pushed these guys hard and they preformed well. The experience ranged from the first time shooter to a MD from Penn who had taken Blackwater Basic Pistol and Blackwater TAC 1 pistol.

Stay Safe & Shoot Straight

Tom

koolaid
11-09-09, 01:13
Hope to be able to take the pistol, rifle, and shotgun courses next year. This year is a bust as far as training goes due to son's football schedule (can't miss those games), and unexpected home repairs.