PDA

View Full Version : Headaches from Hearing Pro?

Ak44
10-21-09, 14:56
Just a quick question to the guys running electronic hearing pro...Does anyone gets headaches from it? My brother liked my Sordins so much he bought a pair. After trying them today he said he got a headache from it. I'm not sure if the hearing pro is squeezing his head or if maybe he's dehydrated. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Thanks.

sadmin
10-21-09, 15:28
Was he wearing sunglasses? If I do get a headache its because my ear pro is pressing on my eye pro behind my ears. I have heard that some noise canceling headphones can cause symptoms akin to having motion sickness but I haven't experienced it first hand.

SeriousStudent
10-21-09, 15:32
No headaches here. I wear them for as long as eight hours at a time.

Shadow1198
10-21-09, 17:02
I use Peltor Tactical Sport earmuffs and also wear glasses. I don't think it's the glasses as much as the inward tension of the earmuffs, at least in my case. I've noticed that if I wear them for any length of time (like several hours), I do end up having a slight headache afterwords.

Treehopr
10-21-09, 18:06
I sometimes get headaches at the end of a long training day.

Probably a combination of the pressure from the Sordins, being out training the whole day (and getting mildly dehydrated) along with the percussive effects of being around gunfire, especially around if guys are running comps or brakes.

p7fl
10-21-09, 19:16
Yes, I wear ear plugs for that exact reason.

On the negative side you do lose a lot of what is said especially when taking classes.

Jer
10-22-09, 05:52
I use the cheap eBay electric ear pro and never have had a headache even after a long weekend of shooting. I've heard some issues with foamies due to the sound waves traveling around inside your ears anyway and not being able to escape so I prefer over-ear even if it can cause slight issues with the stock here and there if you're not thinking about it. Not to mention it makes for easy talking.

You might have him try taking a Dramamine and see if that helps. Maybe it's messing with his equilibrium. Just a thought.

rjacobs
10-22-09, 09:24
We get this all the time in the aviation community where wearing headsets for hours on end is a common occurrence. Alot of it happens due to the ear protection pushing down on a nerve of some kind(some doctor explained it to me one time) under the ear just behind the jaw, also from pressure on the jaw itself. There isnt really a way to get rid of it with common headset type ear-pro, just need to get it adjusted correctly to minimize the pressure it puts on this area. Do the Sordins have gel ear seals?

I wish there were some better in ear solutions for shooting.

p7fl
10-22-09, 12:04
Some of the local USPSA guys are using electronic ear plugs.
The reviews from them have been good. I have not taken the plunge yet but they will be my next purchase.