PDA

View Full Version : What is the cut off age for joining Army?

jhs1969
10-21-09, 18:12
I thought it had been bumped up to 42, anyone know?

donnyblaze1
10-21-09, 18:16
That is my understanding, raised from 39 to 42 recently.

cpekz
10-21-09, 18:20
I'm pretty sure it's 42.

Jdrimm
10-21-09, 18:26
Check, 42.

Icculus
10-21-09, 20:49
So while the official cut off may be 42, I'm curious what those of you who have or are currently serving think is "too" old?

Jdrimm
10-21-09, 21:08
Well, I went through 19D OSUT at Ft Knox at 27, and I was in pretty bad shape for a 27-year-old. To me, if you want it enough, it all becomes a mental thing, assuming a basically sound body.

cpekz
10-22-09, 07:00
So while the official cut off may be 42, I'm curious what those of you who have or are currently serving think is "too" old?

I'm an 11B. I've worked with guys in their mid-late 30's that can take a worse beating than some of the 19-21 year-olds here. It's all about what kind of shape you're in and how 'tough' you are (ie: no sandy vagina).

Spiffums
10-22-09, 09:35
One of my high school friends joined the Air National Guard at 35 because he thought it would help him get hired on the local city fire department. If I was to join up this late in the game, you can be damn sure I would try to use my education to get an Officers Commission.

FDC
10-22-09, 11:55

As with anything else, it depends on the person. We've gotten new guys in their mid 30s and they have been great additions to the unit. We got in one guy that was almost 40 and it was plain to see he came in to get fixed. Constantly on sick call or having surgery, and he did not deploy with us.

Sometimes, those more mature dudes are good to have around. They can come in handy defusing issues in the barracks on the weekend.

Icculus
10-22-09, 12:08
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not sure if I up for a career change but I do like to keep my options open. Currently I'm 30 and not in good enough shape.

Much thanks and respect to you that do serve for our country. We appreciate it.

Herkemer
10-22-09, 13:52
42 I guess.

I got 9 years of prior service. Theres some subtraction thing for prior service dudes, as long as you're out before 60.

I think I'm probably at least halfway full of shit, but, here's the way I understand it....

42+9=51

But, I got 11 years left..soooo,

51+11=62

No good, 62 is two over, soo

51-2=49

I guess I could go back up until I'm 49.

It's ok to think about, but, unless I got a permanent profile for being a slow ass broke down ****, I'd just be screwing my buds over, even then, I'd still be screwing them.

No for the moment. Believe me, I've thought about it a couple ten times...

Omega_556
10-22-09, 18:06
I'm 37 and I'm seriously considering it.

I was told the the cut off for OCS was 29, and if older you need a waiver.

I take the ASVAB and physical next week, and then get to see what positions I qualify for.

JHC
10-22-09, 19:19
If you think you want to try it, I'd recommend you get to doing it. Otherwise it'll haunt you forever and I don't wish that on anyone. I was active duty from '80-'84 then in the reserves a couple years. I'm still ate up for not staying in the Reserves or Guard and not for points to retirement reasons. I'm 52 now.

Some of the worse advice I ever got, although he gave with absolute love for me, was my fathers counsel to find a good company to log 30 years in to get the "gold watch". This was a paradigm from the '50's when that was "real" in American industry. So I was in the Army to make a career out of it. By '84 I had changed my mind and ended up with a Fortune 500 company I thought I could do 30 with. In choosing that option I passed on some other exciting public sector options because I didn't see them as a 30 year gig even though they sounded like fun and adventure etc. Naturally by the mid-80's NOBODY was doing 30 years in that corp and so it goes.

Now I can't complain. I've moved around selectively through some good jobs as jobs go and done pretty well for myself. Well enough I couldn't - or wouldn't retrace steps because of pay levels. (with the exception of attempting to get into the new FAM program after 9/11 but being cut early for age to get to 20).

But I regret not at least experimenting with some of the more exotic choices back in '84 for a few years anyway. So I've counseled my son's to NOT get wrapped up in trying to pick a lifetime career field. I tell them if some option sounds like fun and challenge etc etc - try it a few years and see. If you don't want to stick with it, try something else.

My elder is committed to being an Army officer in a combat arm. And he's well on his way to that path. My younger is still searching (he's still in HS). Now Momma would love them both to settle down and be a lawyer locally but that is the LAST thing I'd wish for the elder one (21) who is a tiger and want to do what tigers do. If he didn't follow that, he'd hate himself for life.

All the best to you with your decisions.

jhs1969
10-22-09, 19:52
If you think you want to try it, I'd recommend you get to doing it. Otherwise it'll haunt you forever and I don't wish that on anyone. I was active duty from '80-'84 then in the reserves a couple years. I'm still ate up for not staying in the Reserves or Guard and not for points to retirement reasons. I'm 52 now.

Some of the worse advice I ever got, although he gave with absolute love for me, was my fathers counsel to find a good company to log 30 years in to get the "gold watch". This was a paradigm from the '50's when that was "real" in American industry. So I was in the Army to make a career out of it. By '84 I had changed my mind and ended up with a Fortune 500 company I thought I could do 30 with. In choosing that option I passed on some other exciting public sector options because I didn't see them as a 30 year gig even though they sounded like fun and adventure etc. Naturally by the mid-80's NOBODY was doing 30 years in that corp and so it goes.

Now I can't complain. I've moved around selectively through some good jobs as jobs go and done pretty well for myself. Well enough I couldn't - or wouldn't retrace steps because of pay levels. (with the exception of attempting to get into the new FAM program after 9/11 but being cut early for age to get to 20).

But I regret not at least experimenting with some of the more exotic choices back in '84 for a few years anyway. So I've counseled my son's to NOT get wrapped up in trying to pick a lifetime career field. I tell them if some option sounds like fun and challenge etc etc - try it a few years and see. If you don't want to stick with it, try something else.

My elder is committed to being an Army officer in a combat arm. And he's well on his way to that path. My younger is still searching (he's still in HS). Now Momma would love them both to settle down and be a lawyer locally but that is the LAST thing I'd wish for the elder one (21) who is a tiger and want to do what tigers do. If he didn't follow that, he'd hate himself for life.

All the best to you with your decisions.

Thanks for the advice, I'm just begining to research it. I intended to join in the 88-92 time frame but landed a (then) good paying job. I've been laid off since March and haven't had much luck with anything. If 42 is the cut off then I've got 1 year and 2 months. I used to be in pretty good shape, I've got to see what my body can do and decide from there. This is really racking my brains, thanks for the replies.

Armati
10-22-09, 20:57
The last change I heard was 39 for Active, 42 for RC and that may only be the Army. Mainly, this has to do with being eligible for a 20yr retirement before hitting the mandatory retirement age of 60.

lefty719
10-22-09, 22:16
I was told it is 39 for the NG here in Colorado. But that was from an unreliable source. He also stated that if you already had served that increased the age so since I did 6 I had til 45. I am going to talk to the CONG recruiter Tuesday about the try it for a year program. I am 38 and in pretty good shape. I like my current job, firefighter, I just need something more:)

Bill

variablebinary
10-22-09, 22:21
41 for the army I believe

The Air Force, Marines, and Navy are not quite as understanding

murphy j
10-22-09, 22:45
Currently I'm 30 and not in good enough shape.

That's what Basic Training is for. It's nice to be in some sort of reasonably good shape when you go in, but if you're determined to make it then you'll get there. I first joined the NG as an 11B at 19 and was nothing but a couch potato and I made it. I went Active Duty a year later and had to do Basic all over again because I changed my MOS. I hated every minute of it, but I made it again. I left Active Duty in '97 and took an 8yr break before joining the NG again. I'm 38 yrs old and one of fifteen people in my company that can pass their PT test. It doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in, if you want to do it you can. Good Luck with whatever you decide and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

garbear
10-22-09, 23:38
Not to hi-jack a thread. I was in 94-97. Would I have to do basic again

jhs1969
10-22-09, 23:43
That's what Basic Training is for. It's nice to be in some sort of reasonably good shape when you go in, but if you're determined to make it then you'll get there. I first joined the NG as an 11B at 19 and was nothing but a couch potato and I made it. I went Active Duty a year later and had to do Basic all over again because I changed my MOS. I hated every minute of it, but I made it again. I left Active Duty in '97 and took an 8yr break before joining the NG again. I'm 38 yrs old and one of fifteen people in my company that can pass their PT test. It doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in, if you want to do it you can. Good Luck with whatever you decide and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I'm going to talk to a recruiter tomorrow, I may be too old already, I'll be 41 in Jan. Last time I tried jogging I got shin splints so bad after two weeks I could barely climb the steps to my appartment. I'm also going to check out a couple of gyms tomorrow as well. We'll see, time will tell I guess.

murphy j
10-22-09, 23:47
Not to hi-jack a thread. I was in 94-97. Would I have to do basic again

If you went Active, then probably yes. I've met guys in the past who had been out more than 8yrs and they had to do it again. It's been more than 8yrs and you would be considered outside that window. The reason I had to do Basic again was that I was NG going Active and the Drill Sergeants where I went to thought it would be to my benefit. It was their option, not mine. As far as they were concerned, I was wasn't really prior service since I came from the Guard. If you were thinking of joining the Guard or Reserves, then probably not.

murphy j
10-22-09, 23:54
I'm going to talk to a recruiter tomorrow, I may be too old already, I'll be 41 in Jan. Last time I tried jogging I got shin splints so bad after two weeks I could barely climb the steps to my appartment. I'm also going to check out a couple of gyms tomorrow as well. We'll see, time will tell I guess.

You're only as old as you let yourself be. When I first started running again I would hurt every time I started to run. It was my body readjusting to that level of activity. Get some good running shoes that are built for whatever type of stride you might have and go for it. Nobody says you have to run 6 minute miles. Ease youself into it and learn to enjoy the activity. Remember, running is every other sport's punishment :D. I've got some good beginner to advanced weight workouts if you want them. Just PM me and we can talk without cluttering up the thread too much. Also, remember this about the Army. Anything can be waived under the right circumstances. So even if you think you're too old, if you really want to, they can waive it. I've even seen guys get their Congressman involved to get a waiver. It's all in what you want and what you're willing to do to get it.

perna
10-23-09, 05:07
From Army.com

Enlist : Active Duty Requirements

The basic qualifications for enlistment in the U.S. Army include:

• being from 17 to 34 years old
• be a U.S. citizen or resident alien, (must have the I-551)
• have a high school diploma or equivalent (such as a GED)
• be single with no children or married with 2 or less children
• pass the ASVAB test and
• pass the physical

perna
10-23-09, 05:15
From Marines.com

Men and women between the ages of 17 and 29 who are working toward, or have earned, a high school diploma may qualify to enlist.

ThirdWatcher
10-23-09, 05:21
Also, remember this about the Army. Anything can be waived under the right circumstances.

I believe this is true. While I left the Army over 33 years ago, I've heard some interesting stories from my young warriors.... I'll let it go at that. If you want it bad enough, you can make it happen.;)

perna
10-23-09, 05:23
From about.com

Active Duty None-Prior Service

* Army - 42
* Air Force - 27
* Navy - 34
* Marines - 28
* Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).

Reserve Non-Prior Service

* Army Reserves - 42
* Army National Guard - 35 (changed from 42 in 2009)
* Air Force Reserve - 34
* Air National Guard - 40 (Changed from 34 in Aug 2009)
* Naval Reserves - 39
* Marine Corps Reserve - 29
* Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39

cqbdriver
10-23-09, 05:32
There were 3 guys in their late 30's in my basic training company. 2 never made it out of basic & the third got to the 1st week of jump school & got a medical discharge.

Honestly, the 1st two guys were losers. One was trying to reassembly a M16 upper on to a lower with the upper upside down (inserting carry handle into lower.

perna
10-23-09, 05:59
Im close to being 38, and have been considering it for no other reason than to serve my country, clearly not for the money. My fitness level has dropped since I left the fire department, but a month or 2 in the gym and I could be at least at the starting level to get through basic.

The problem I see is not being stationed here, which I do not know what I would need to do to be stationed here. I live like 5 mins from Hunter army airfield in Savannah GA, so if I cant be stationed here it would force me to rent my house while I was gone. Being deployed would be fine since the extra pay could afford to leave my house empty.

Is it possible to pick where you are stationed?

goodoleboy
10-23-09, 06:21

Depends on the MOS. The physical rigors of some jobs are far greater than others. I've seen guys in the Infantry in their late 30s that could hang pretty well with the young guys (but they signed up at 18 and were about to retire), one man I remember was just about to get full knee replacements before getting out (he had spent his entire career as an 11B Infantryman). But, if I were planning on starting a career in the military, I wouldn't start as an Infantryman, Artilleryman, Combat Medic, Cavalry Scout, etc. at that age. I would look into something in the quartermaster corps in the Army. That is still a valuable job, you are serving your country, etc

perna
10-23-09, 06:42
While I do not have any military experience, the fire department experience I have showed me that the older guys(not the fat waiting for their check guys) will out preform the younger guys. Yes the guys that played sports in HS will be more fit, but once they realize they are not getting paid by the NFL/NBA/MLB or any other sport and they have to work for money workingout isnt a priority and they get lazy.

FDC
10-23-09, 12:17
about.com

Army.com

Quit using speculation and bullshit sources.

AR 601-210 outlines the regulatory guidance for enlistment qualifications. The recruiters can fill in the blanks with regards to exception to policies, waivers, review, and changes.

For future reference the Army's homepage is Army.mil. Its recruiting page is GoArmy.com.