View Full Version : Interesting M16 Ad

GIFFMANN
02-27-07, 12:06
Found this in a news story over on Fox:
SOLICITATION FOR SEALED OFFERS
M-16 Rifle Sale

MANUFACTURER: COLT
MODEL: M-16 A1
DESCRIPTION: Collector Quality, original Colt manufactured M-16 A-1, fully transferable to qualified individuals on a BATF FORM 4. This is not a conversion. Weapon is in excellent to new condition. This was back up weapon to our front line arsenal. This is the real deal from the Colt factory and marked as M-16 with safe, semi and auto selector switch. This weapon is complete and well maintained. All NFA rules apply. This weapon was manufactured as a military weapon.

We reserve the right to reject any and all offers.

TERMS OF SALE: The weapon will be sold on a sealed bid to the highest bidder. Bids must be in our possession by 5PM on May 1, 2007. Successful bidder will be notified at the end of the sale. Shipping or delivery costs will be between the successful bidder and the licensed agent you select to ship out of state.

The winning bidder must present a certified check or cash within 14 days of the close of the sale for the weapon. Failure to redeem within 14 days will forfeit the winning bid.

for questions, please contact:
Undersheriff Robert Rapson
e-mail: rrapson@lapeercounty.org
810-245-1322

http://www.county.lapeer.org/Sheriff/images/9108_small.jpg

Link is: http://www.county.lapeer.org/Sheriff/m16sale.html

GIFFMANN
02-27-07, 12:08
Here's the original story from Fox. Not the final quote from a member of the Million Mom March:rolleyes: :
Cash-Strapped Michigan Sheriff's Department Auctioning Machine Gun
Tuesday , February 27, 2007

LAPEER, Mich. —

For sale: Collector quality, fully automatic M-16 in excellent condition. Never fired outside shooting range.

Buyer must have machine gun permit and have no criminal record. And deep pockets.

Strapped for cash, the Lapeer County Sheriff's Department is selling the original Colt rifle on its Web site to purchase new guns and other equipment for its 82 deputies. The office hasn't received a budget increase in six years, and Undersheriff Robert Rapson said the gun might fetch as much as $1,700 by the time bidding closes May 1.

"We are a small county and we need to take advantage of this," Rapson told the Detroit Free Press for a story published Tuesday. "We've had to cut to the bone for a long time."

The department purchased the weapon, which is capable of firing 700 rounds per minute, for $500 in the 1970s for use in emergencies such as hostage situations. Last fall, the department sold off its arsenal of five AR-15 automatic rifles.

A 1986 federal law banned the sale of new automatic weapons but allowed those already in circulation to be sold.

"The fact that a law enforcement agency is selling a dangerous weapon is appalling," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of the Million Mom March, a gun control group.

LOKNLOD
02-27-07, 13:13
The office hasn't received a budget increase in six years, and Undersheriff Robert Rapson said the gun might fetch as much as $1,700 by the time bidding closes May 1.

If he expects $1,700 he's gonna be surprised...

Nathan_Bell
02-27-07, 17:13
If he expects $1,700 he's gonna be surprised...

Add a zero , and it will be closer to the market price.

BravoCompanyUSA
02-27-07, 19:05
+1
$17,000 or maybe more for an original Colt M16.

I suppose it depends on how may ClassIII guys see the ad.

Nathan_Bell
02-27-07, 19:49
+1
$17,000 or maybe more for an original Colt M16.

I suppose it depends on how may ClassIII guys see the ad.

Any who spread this ad will be beaten with a large herring, 'cause I wanna -16 for $1,700 :D

SuicideHz
02-28-07, 18:24
Holy shit. $1700! I wish!

chakup
02-28-07, 19:22
from what I heard there were other published reports on this and they all said $17k, not 1,700