PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel or Black Barrel?

paulosantos
02-27-07, 16:22
My Denny's 6.8 SP 16.1" barrel came in Bead Blasted Stainless Steel and although I liked it, I just thought black would be better. I asked around on another site and I finally got the confidence to paint it black. Here is the before and after: Which one looks better?

BEFORE:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_1266.jpg

AFTER:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/100_1281.jpg

C4IGrant
02-27-07, 16:38
Black is beautiful...

C4

HAMMERDROP
02-27-07, 16:50
And in 6.8 SPC you dawg ... what kind paint did you use ?
Michael

Sonic Crack
02-27-07, 16:52
both look good, who cares what we think as long as u like it ;)

paulosantos
02-27-07, 16:55
And in 6.8 SPC you dawg ... what kind paint did you use ?
Michael

Thanks Michael. I just used some BBQ colored spray paint from the local store where I live. I wanted something that was not metallic and that is what most of the guys recommended.

mark5pt56
02-27-07, 19:11
Paulo, Looks great! I like that A1 Vltor, I have one now that I got from Grant.

The rifle looks more "complete"

Mark

paulosantos
02-27-07, 19:25
Paulo, Looks great! I like that A1 Vltor, I have one now that I got from Grant.

The rifle looks more "complete"

Mark

Thank you. I love the Vltor stocks. They are by far my favorite stocks.

mark5pt56
02-27-07, 19:43
That was a quick turn around on the painting!

paulosantos
02-27-07, 19:49
That was a quick turn around on the painting!

I got lucky. My 2 year old co-operated. He actually fell asleep for a couple of hours while I worked on the barrel..:D

mark5pt56
02-27-07, 21:20
Paulo, Tell us about that bipod/grip set up.

If that 360 swivel up front is a bother, check out the Daniel Defense one, has about a 120 swivel.

Mark

paulosantos
02-28-07, 05:00
Paulo, Tell us about that bipod/grip set up.

If that 360 swivel up front is a bother, check out the Daniel Defense one, has about a 120 swivel.

Mark

Mark, the bipod set up I have is the Versa-PodŽ Model 51 7-9" Bipod Short Prone Bipod with Pan/Tilt and Cant Friction Lock Model.
http://www.versapod.com/m_h/sporting/sporting_products_pr.html

The grip that I use is the Versa-Pod Vertical Foregrip Adapter
Model (150-618). http://www.versapod.com/m_h/sporting/sporting_products_acc.html.

The reason I went with this set-up is because I wanted to take some of the weight from the front of the weapon. It was a little front heavy with the Harris Bipod I had. The Versa-Pod that I have pretty much does everything as far as swivels, tilts, and pans and the legs are spring loaded like the Harris. I also like the location of the Versa-pod becasue it is easier to manuever my AR around when I am shooting from the prone position. The further out you have it, the more stability you have, but the closer to the magazine you have it, it is more manuverable.

As far as the sling, I actually have the front swivel attachment near where the grip-pod is. I just put it like that for the pictures to get the sling out of the way a little more. I don't have any problems with the swivel type attachment. It does tend to rotate some, but once I have it on, it doesn't bother me.

Enthusiast
02-28-07, 17:49
Great paint job! I like Black better.

bones
02-28-07, 17:51
Black :)

FiftyCalAl
03-01-07, 07:54
Is this like stove paint? The high temp stuff that you use on wood or coal burning stoves?? It looks great and looks like it has a smooth matte finish. I guess it would resist the high temps of barrel heat up as well. How many coats did you use?

I really like Denny. I am going to have him make me a SPR upper soon. I may have him paint the whole thing, including the Larue rails and upper. I'm not sure what he uses to paint his stuff with though.

muskyjerk
03-01-07, 10:05
+1 for the black

FlyAndFight
03-01-07, 11:15
Black gets my vote, too. Nice rifle.

Quartersticknick
03-01-07, 16:29
I'll have to go with the black.Nice job!

paulosantos
03-01-07, 17:29
Is this like stove paint? The high temp stuff that you use on wood or coal burning stoves?? It looks great and looks like it has a smooth matte finish. I guess it would resist the high temps of barrel heat up as well. How many coats did you use?

I really like Denny. I am going to have him make me a SPR upper soon. I may have him paint the whole thing, including the Larue rails and upper. I'm not sure what he uses to paint his stuff with though.

I spoke with several people and got tons of great advice on what to use and I even talked to Steve from ADCO Firearms who said regular Krylon Paint works fine. It seems that pretty much any paint that is designed for steel will work.

When I initially purchased it from Denny's I wanted it black but his stove wasn't working so I just got the Bead Blasted one.

I definitely like the black better myself. Thanks for all the compliments.

paulosantos
03-01-07, 17:33
Double post