PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you were me – please help (gun choice question)

Irfan
10-22-09, 13:37
I know probably some of you will say move to a free country, but here it goes:

As some of you already know I have to 9mm, two CZ-85Bs (it is an ambidextrous version of the CZ-75B). Yah I know these are not the most modern designs nor are they as durable or reliable like some. The main reason I chose these pistols is because they have great ergonomics, steel frame (I know, it is cast, not forged, I hope it won’t break on me), cocked and locked capability with a safety on the frame just like the 1911…
I sold my Glock 19 last year to buy a new Glock 17 because I like full-size pistols and then came a problem…

A new gun-law. Yes, according to our new gun-law here in Bosnia and Herzegovina we are allowed to have only ONE pistol, and only ONE revolver regardless of its caliber!

So, I cannot sell a pistol to buy another one. Why? Because I already have one! So to get a new pistol I have to get rid of both my pistols. I bought two same pistols to keep one as a spare one, so if one breaks I don’t have to practice again to adapt to the new pistol.

Yes there is another option; I can exchange them so I’d still continue to own two pistols. There is a gun shop in Sarajevo in which you can take your used pistols and replace them with some new pistols that they sell paying the difference! They have Berettas, Glocks, CZs, XDs…

So what would you do? Get two G17, or two G19 so I’d have a more durable/reliable weapons, ore get lets say a Beretta 92FS and a G26 for concealed carry, or just stay with my CZ-85Bs which do work well and nothing has been broken yet but that’s the way we all are… You always like more what you don’t have. ;)

RAM Engineer
10-22-09, 14:07
I would trade them in on either two G-17s or two G-19s. If that is not an option, I would keep the two you have, because there's no set of spare parts quite like a hanger queen. Whatever choice you make, I would try to make the one that would leave me with TWO of the same gun.

Abraxas
10-22-09, 14:19
I know probably some of you will say move to a free country, but here it goes:

As some of you already know I have to 9mm, two CZ-85Bs (it is an ambidextrous version of the CZ-75B). Yah I know these are not the most modern designs nor are they as durable or reliable like some. The main reason I chose these pistols is because they have great ergonomics, steel frame (I know, it is cast, not forged, I hope it won’t break on me), cocked and locked capability with a safety on the frame just like the 1911…
I sold my Glock 19 last year to buy a new Glock 17 because I like full-size pistols and then came a problem…

A new gun-law. Yes, according to our new gun-law here in Bosnia and Herzegovina we are allowed to have only ONE pistol, and only ONE revolver regardless of its caliber!

So, I cannot sell a pistol to buy another one. Why? Because I already have one! So to get a new pistol I have to get rid of both my pistols. I bought two same pistols to keep one as a spare one, so if one breaks I don’t have to practice again to adapt to the new pistol.

Yes there is another option; I can exchange them so I’d still continue to own two pistols. There is a gun shop in Sarajevo in which you can take your used pistols and replace them with some new pistols that they sell paying the difference! They have Berettas, Glocks, CZs, XDs…

So what would you do? Get two G17, or two G19 so I’d have a more durable/reliable weapons, ore get lets say a Beretta 92FS and a G26 for concealed carry, or just stay with my CZ-85Bs which do work well and nothing has been broken yet but that’s the way we all are… You always like more what you don’t have. ;)

I would go for 2 17's

Luckystiff
10-22-09, 14:33
If you like the CZ's and shoot them well then just stay with them. The CZ is a very well made gun. One thing to consider for long term is parts and magazine availability. If this is not a problem with the CZ them stock up and stay with your weapons system. Spend you money on ammo and training. If either of these are an issue then look to a weapon system that you like and shoot well that this is not an issue with. Glock makes a great product so from what you have posted if you are going to switch I recommend the Glock. I would not think that parts and magazines are an issue for you to get for that weapon systme and the Glock is VERY easy to work on if it broke. Stick with a systems approach as you are not going to be allowed to be a collector given your gun laws.

That said, I would not traid 2 working guns for one new gun if I were you. Change only if you can still end up with 2 working guns.

Terry
10-22-09, 16:14
I would stay with 1 platform, and that would be Glock.

JHC
10-22-09, 19:34
This situation would complete FREAK ME OUT and I would be obsessed with getting the most reliable rugged and long lasting two gun battery. If you have the option to carry concealed also, then I'd probably go G17 and G19. Or two of either of those models.

Avenger29
10-22-09, 22:06
This situation would complete FREAK ME OUT and I would be obsessed with getting the most reliable rugged and long lasting two gun battery. If you have the option to carry concealed also, then I'd probably go G17 and G19. Or two of either of those models.

My first thought as well. Two fresh production Glock 17s for me in that situation and as many factory mags as I could get my hands on, plus spare parts. And I don't even like shooting the 17, but will gladly admit the durability and reliability of the Glock 9mm.

crusader377
10-22-09, 22:13
I would just keep the CZs. The CZ is a great pistol. Anyway, you are likely to take a big hit on a trade anyway so I would just save your money and stick with a platform that you are already familiar with.

tpd223
10-22-09, 22:51
If you can CCW there I'd get two G19s, if not then two G17s, and, as noted above, all the spare parts and mags I could find.

Then I'd find a Advantage Arms .22 kit as well.

Then, if allowed to do so, I'd still buy my one allowed revolver.

Beat Trash
10-23-09, 05:30
I would stay with 1 platform, and that would be Glock.

I would agree with this statement.

I personally find the Glock 19 fits my hand a little better than the Glock 17, not much, but a little. I carry the Glock 19 (concealed) on a daily basis.

While the CZ is a fine gun, I feel the Glock platform is more durable. If I were only allowed one gun, it would be a Glock 9mm.

Can you easily obtain spare parts where you live? If so, the Glock is a very easy gun to detail strip and replace parts. If you are able to obtain them, I'd do a bit of research as to what parts to stock (trigger spring and recoil spring first off) and get a few to set aside.

Combat_Diver
10-23-09, 06:25
My math and comprehenction isn't adding up. You currently have 3 pistols (cz85x2, G17x1) and can the new law states that you can only have one pistol and one revolver. How do you get two pistols? I don't like the handling chracteristics of the Glocks (do have a G19 on the way) and have own numberous CZ 75/85s over the years (all preB). I would keep one pistol (which ever feels right to you), get a .22LR conversion for it (unless the law states otherwise) and trade the others in for a nice Ruger or Smith DA revolver.

CD

M4arc
10-23-09, 06:33
Given your situation I would go for two G19s.

JonInWA
10-23-09, 08:28
I would recommend going with the Glock platform; either the G17 or G19 are excellent choices, depending on your particular needs.

Best, Jon

DacoRoman
10-23-09, 11:20
IMHO, I think the two G19's are the way to go. One added benefit with the 19's is that you can then use both G19 and G17 mags, which does make the G19 platform more "universal" if you will. The only trump card for going with the G17 is if you clearly shoot it better.

The trump card for staying with the CZ's, I think, is if CZ's and CZ parts are ubiquitous, and a standard in the area if you will. Then it might make sense to stay with that platform pure and simple.

(I have both the G17 and the G19 and for me the G19 grip ergonomics allows me to have a clearly more neutral trigger pull, something that really comes out when I'm shooting one handed. Even shooting one handed, I don't have to work much at all with the G19, whereas with the G17, shooting one handed, I have to pay a lot more attention to not minutely pull the front sight to the right.)

Hope this helps somewhat.

TOrrock
10-23-09, 12:12
What's factory support like in Bosnia for CZ, Glock, and HK?

I know that the CZ line has been extremely popular in that part of the world for decades, and I've owned several 75's and 85's and still think that they are very well made, ergonomic, reliable pistols.

While it's now a cliche, the Glock 9mm pistols are the AK-47 of handguns, and there is very little that you'd expect to go wrong.

The CZ's should outlast you and your kids as long as you maintain them, reguarly replacing he recoil springs every 3-5k rounds, and install Wolff magazine springs in the original CZ magazines.

Hope that helps, and good luck.