PDA

View Full Version : Mk262 Mod 0/ 1 ??'s

SloaneRanger
10-22-09, 14:32
I was at the local Gun Store/Range yesterday and happened to notice some white 50 rd boxes of “Mk262 Mod0” ammo for $39.99 each.
It was manufactured by “GunSmoke”(?IIRC). I didn’t have time to get into any questions with anyone knowledgeable on it as the guy I asked didn’t know anything about it. Nor, apparently, did the guy when I called back today and was told it was regular 62gr 5.56mm ammo..Oops!!

Anyway have any of you guys ever come across this stuff before and if so is it a close copy to the real mk262?

Thanks in advance..

SR

herd48
10-22-09, 14:42
Probably get more response if you posted this on the ammo and reloading forum.

SloaneRanger
10-22-09, 14:58
Roger that...Mods..sorry if this is in the wrong forum..
Will repost there.....
SR

Iraqgunz
10-22-09, 17:47
Mk 262 MOD 0/1 ammo is not 62gr. it is 77.gr. The original ammo was and is made by Black Hills Ammo. The primary difference between the two rounds is the adding of a cannelure to the MOD 1 bullet to prevent set back of the bullet.

Roger that...Mods..sorry if this is in the wrong forum..
Will repost there.....
SR

Shark
10-22-09, 22:10
Here's a poor quality iPhone pic. :cool:

Robb Jensen
10-22-09, 22:15

That's the real deal box for it.

SloaneRanger
10-23-09, 08:36
Thanks for the responses, Fellers..

Iraqgunz.. Thanks for the info on the cannelure mod0/mod1 variants. I knew the MK262 was a 77gr BTHP/Open tip match..Was there also a switch between a Nosler and a Sierra bullet or am I way out of my lane on that one?. I am guessing it also has the crimped primers like my XM193.

Shark..
The box at the store looks nothing like that at all. This stuff is not in a milSurp/Lake City XM193 type box but is in a commercially made box that looks to me like it comes from a small batch manufacturing outfit.

Is there a commercial source for milspec Mk262Mod1. Will the red box black hills stuff sometimes available from Cabelas have the cannelure, correct primer and same pressures as Mk262Mod1?

Thanks…SR

ST911
10-23-09, 10:45

Yup, that's a BHA lot#.

Shark
10-24-09, 01:23
Is there a commercial source for milspec Mk262Mod1. Will the red box black hills stuff sometimes available from Cabelas have the cannelure, correct primer and same pressures as Mk262Mod1?

I get the Blue box "remanufactured" 77gr SMK from any place that stocks them, typically Midway. Most likely not the same powder recipe, but at least Black Hills is making them. Brass is polished and some are even NATO stamped cases.

Silver State Armory claims they have a similar product to the Mk262 Mod1. I have some, but haven't shot any yet. Real Mk262 Mod1 is hard to come by. :p All I can say is that the 77gr is very accurate at long range for me. Then again, I'm used to shooting plinking ammo like Walmart/Federal 100 round value pack stuff.

agr1279
10-24-09, 07:38

None of that stuff has been released to the civilian market. Any found in gun store or gun broker is probably stolen.

Dan Jones

DocGKR
10-24-09, 13:59
There has been a bit of Mk262 released, including a few rejected/second lots.

All current ammo uses the 77 gr SMK OTM; IIRC there was one small batch for the Marines in circa 2003 using 77 gr Nosler OTM.

agr1279
10-24-09, 14:37
There has been a bit of Mk262 released, including a few rejected/second lots.

All current ammo uses the 77 gr SMK OTM; IIRC there was one small batch for the Marines in circa 2003 using 77 gr Nosler OTM.

Ok. My sources from the Navy said otherwise but that was a few years ago. I do know that they hunt for any that are for sale on Gun Broker and the other sites like that.

Dan Jones

Shark
10-27-09, 01:04
None of that stuff has been released to the civilian market. Any found in gun store or gun broker is probably stolen.

Dan Jones

Or unless you shoot with NSWC dudes. ;)

agr1279
10-27-09, 13:52
Or unless you shoot with NSWC dudes. ;)

Or on the Navy Shooting Team.

Dan

SloaneRanger
11-03-09, 09:22
I get the Blue box "remanufactured" 77gr SMK from any place that stocks them, typically Midway. Most likely not the same powder recipe, but at least Black Hills is making them. Brass is polished and some are even NATO stamped cases.

Silver State Armory claims they have a similar product to the Mk262 Mod1. I have some, but haven't shot any yet. Real Mk262 Mod1 is hard to come by. :p All I can say is that the 77gr is very accurate at long range for me. Then again, I'm used to shooting plinking ammo like Walmart/Federal 100 round value pack stuff.

10-4. Thanks, Shark...Thats BH stuff seems to stay on permanent back order!!

ST911
11-03-09, 10:38
Cabelas seems to maintain a reasonable stream of it, though in smaller quantities. A week or two ago, the stores in Rogers (MN) and Mitchell (SD) had a shelf slot full of it. ~$40, IIRC.

When considering the Mk262 clone loads, ask the vendor if they're meeting all the specifications of the real deal. Most will give you a blank look, not having any clue as to what they are. They might have made a very accurate load with the same projectile, but they aren't making Mk262. There's more to it than meets the eye.

SloaneRanger
11-03-09, 15:30
When considering the Mk262 clone loads, ask the vendor if they're meeting all the specifications of the real deal. Most will give you a blank look, not having any clue as to what they are. They might have made a very accurate load with the same projectile, but they aren't making Mk262. There's more to it than meets the eye.

Skintop911...copy that..Thanks..That's why I had asked about the manufacturer of the stuff in my OP as I wasn't sure if it was real mk262 mod 0/1 or not even though they actually label it as 'MK262 Mod0' on the box...which would make one think it should be the correct casing, projectile, primer and powdercharge...but we all know that assumption is the mother of all embuggerations....