PDA

View Full Version : Surefire M73

JBIRD1371
02-27-07, 17:12
Has anyone used one of Surefire's M73 Rail system? I was wondering if it is RIS or a RAS? I have the old KAC setup and want to upgrade, but dont want to spend too much. And any info on someother systems is always wanted.

Thanks,

Gross

trukreltrog
03-01-07, 15:22
I have a M73 on my Bushy. I'm not sure what the RIS and RAS terms stand for. I like it, it locks up tight. You have to put thread lock on the 2 lock screws to hold it on, so its not something your gonna take on and off. The rail is'nt the same height as the flat top reciever if that matters to you. I have my M900 mounted on it, pretty solid. I like it so much I bought another. You can usually find used ones for a good price over at that other black rifle web site.:D

jimmyboots
03-02-07, 23:51
I had one as well. It was a solid piece of gear.

John_Wayne777
03-03-07, 17:18
Has anyone used one of Surefire's M73 Rail system? I was wondering if it is RIS or a RAS? I have the old KAC setup and want to upgrade, but dont want to spend too much. And any info on someother systems is always wanted.

Thanks,

Gross

I am running the Surefire rails on my general utility AR. It has been a pretty solid system in my experience. It doesn't come loose, doesn't shift much...

As far as "RIS or RAS" the Surefire rails are pretty standard picatinny (spelling...gak) rails that work with most accessories out there. The Tango Down VFG's locking bars don't snap all the way down on the Surefire rails, but it still mounts rock solid. The M73 mounts to the rifle pretty much the same way your KAC system does, except the Surefire uses a couple of allen screws at the front to control tension on the top and bottom halves of the system.

As a result, I'm not sure you would find the Surefire system to be much of an "upgrade" over your existing KAC system.

If you were looking for a relatively economical rail system that was quality enough to mount a light to your weapon, the Surefire would be a good choice....but since you already have a good quality rail system in place on your weapon that you can mount a light to, I don't think you will find that the Surefire M73 offers you much.

For a true "upgrade", in my opinion, you would need a FF rail system like the ones made by Daniel Defense or LaRue. If money were no object for me I would most likely pick one of those over the Surefire.

I'm not knocking the SF unit because I really like mine (especially since I managed to snag it for 100 bucks....) and it has performed well for me in training class, but since you already have a good rail system it really isn't an "upgrade" in any objective sense for you.

z28smokin
03-04-07, 23:12
I have the M73 on mine and love it.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/z28smokin/DSC05159.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/z28smokin/DSC05158.jpg