PDA

View Full Version : Noveske SBR

dmancornell
10-22-09, 18:00
Anyone here own/fired a Noveske 7.5" Diplomat? I'm looking for a SBR and a Noveske is spendy. Want to make sure I don't have to plop down yet more money for upgrades... the $200 fed extortion is bad enough.

Two things I'm interested in:

Trigger: How heavy/creepy is the Noveske trigger? Hoping it is not a milspec trigger, those are too heavy IMHO.

Gas system: Pistol length is a pretty violent system... any ejection issues? My carbine frankenbuild needs a heavy buffer and a super heavy buffer just to work properly. Noveske should be well-engineered enough to avoid the extra spending.

MisterWilson
10-22-09, 18:31

Belmont31R
10-22-09, 22:10
They use standard triggers which means hit or miss. If the trigger is really that important get something else to go in the lower.

Buffer will be dependent on the exact gun based on the barrel and gas system you happen to get. Id call Noveske and ask them. Chances are if you are buying a complete SBR from them they are going to have the correct buffer in the lower.

rob_s
10-23-09, 04:53
The only totally reliable 7.5" 5.56 ARs that I have ever seen were Noveskes.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of worrying about the trigger on a VSBR....

AJNAC4FL
10-23-09, 21:39
Steve Troy built a M7A1 for me before they were available on his site. Mine has a Timney AR-15 competition trigger. I'm not sure which weight pull it is. It's very light, smooth and has very little travel. I have not had a single failure to cycle with over a thousand rounds through mine.

S.W.A.T. magazine's Nov 09 issue has a great article on the M7A1

WALKING TALL
Troy M7A1 Short Barreled Rifle Defies Expectations
By Abner Miranda
Today’s law enforcement and military environments are getting compressed dramatically. Conflicts are getting shorter and engagements are getting closer between forces. Room by room, building by building is now the norm. This means that weaponry must follow suit, so it didn’t surprise me to see that Troy Industries has its own extreme CQB (close quarters battle) weapons platform on the market. And it’s a well-made offering at that.

The name M7A1 makes this very ingeniously put together AR variant standout from the crowd. However, a name only carries you so far. If the weapon is only good as eye candy, it has no place in the hands of our nation’s guardians. I’m pleased to say that the M7A1 does indeed have it where it counts.

Before I go further, it bears saying that the M7A1 is a full kit minus the lower. And when I say the lower, I mean just “the lower.” All you have to bring to the table is a Mil-spec lower, with its internal parts installed minus the buttstock and pistol grip, as these are provided in the kit. The M7A1 kit is a comprehensive set-up, with everything you need to have an outstanding fighting carbine ready to roll. While the kit’s price is daunting, the end result is an incredibly tricked-out carbine with every piece comprised of top-of-the-line gear.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=7

http://www.troyind.com/M7A1.html

lmt-cazy
10-26-09, 12:21
i don't know this help, but i'd have a 7.5" noveske barrel SBR. i built it myself, so the only thing from noveske is the KX3, barrel, gas tube and gas block.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt63/andyjia/spike75.jpg

i use H3 buffer and extra power spring, and i have the bill springfield trigger job (3lbs for $50), very good trigger for CQB

i did have FTE problem at first, then i install a O-ring to my extractor spring, problem solved, running very smooth and problem free now

decodeddiesel
10-29-09, 11:35
"A good trigger for CQB"...? Not meaning to pick on you but, seriously? :confused:.

Reality Check: If you're seriously in a small room shooting people to death before they shoot you you're not going to need some fancy 3# trigger pull. I can promise you that you won't feel the difference between a 10# trigger and a 5# trigger.

To the OP, yes the Noveske video of the 20 round mag dump at full auto is sweet, but a 7.5" is nothing more than a range toy IMHO. That said Noveske is the best of the bunch if you're really set on one, but me personally the shortest I would even consider a real use 5.56 rifle is 10.3".

The terminal performance of 5.56 would be abysmal from that 7.5" barrel and the muzzle blast/flash would be so stunning indoors it would be more of a hindrance than an asset to you. Further more given the pistol length gas system you're not going to get more than a few thousand rounds tops from a bolt before you'll be in serious risk of a massive failure (think bolt breaking in half or lugs shearing off).

Finally if you want to drop in a fancy 2-stage match trigger and fire the thing at 300 yards well it's your money and have at it, but it really doesn't make much sense with such a short weapon.

lmt-cazy
10-29-09, 15:46
"A good trigger for CQB"...? Not meaning to pick on you but, seriously? :confused:.

Reality Check: If you're seriously in a small room shooting people to death before they shoot you you're not going to need some fancy 3# trigger pull. I can promise you that you won't feel the difference between a 10# trigger and a 5# trigger.

To the OP, yes the Noveske video of the 20 round mag dump at full auto is sweet, but a 7.5" is nothing more than a range toy IMHO. That said Noveske is the best of the bunch if you're really set on one, but me personally the shortest I would even consider a real use 5.56 rifle is 10.3".

The terminal performance of 5.56 would be abysmal from that 7.5" barrel and the muzzle blast/flash would be so stunning indoors it would be more of a hindrance than an asset to you. Further more given the pistol length gas system you're not going to get more than a few thousand rounds tops from a bolt before you'll be in serious risk of a massive failure (think bolt breaking in half or lugs shearing off).

Finally if you want to drop in a fancy 2-stage match trigger and fire the thing at 300 yards well it's your money and have at it, but it really doesn't make much sense with such a short weapon.

this thread is about the Noveske 7.5" SBR, i don't want to turn someone else thread into the terminal performance battle. SWAT mag did a article on the Troy M7A1 read it, and yes i seen the chart been going around the net, but it all tested with FMJ, so how the terminal performance with the SP, HP, ballistic tip??? i'll do some of my own testing on the 7.5" SBR with the ballistic gel, all the defensive ammo i can get from 40gr to 75gr. and at the end if i don't like the result, i'll build the 7.5" 6.8 and test it all again, or keep it as a "fancy" range toy.
you're right, when SHTF any trigger will do, training training training! but to me $50 can turn a crappy trigger in to very short and clean single-stage trigger, that is not fancy, is cheap, oh and i'd have the Geissele "fancy" triggers on my Noveske 10.5", 12.5" SBR too:eek:
"serious risk of a massive failure think bolt breaking in half or lugs shearing off.":confused: is that from your experience?? is going be shocking for you, i am running my 7.5" :eek: lube free :eek: the "fancy" Failzero BCG is in my "fancy" SBR with the "fancy" trigger:eek:

decodeddiesel
10-29-09, 18:26
this thread is about the Noveske 7.5" SBR, i don't want to turn someone else thread into the terminal performance battle. SWAT mag did a article on the Troy M7A1 read it, and yes i seen the chart been going around the net, but it all tested with FMJ, so how the terminal performance with the SP, HP, ballistic tip??? i'll do some of my own testing on the 7.5" SBR with the ballistic gel, all the defensive ammo i can get from 40gr to 75gr. and at the end if i don't like the result, i'll build the 7.5" 6.8 and test it all again, or keep it as a "fancy" range toy.
you're right, when SHTF any trigger will do, training training training! but to me $50 can turn a crappy trigger in to very short and clean single-stage trigger, that is not fancy, is cheap, oh and i'd have the Geissele "fancy" triggers on my Noveske 10.5", 12.5" SBR too:eek:
"serious risk of a massive failure think bolt breaking in half or lugs shearing off.":confused: is that from your experience?? is going be shocking for you, i am running my 7.5" :eek: lube free :eek: the "fancy" Failzero BCG is in my "fancy" SBR with the "fancy" trigger:eek:

Actually yes it is. I was an armorer in the US Army for a number of years and saw my fair share of bolt failures on US .mil issued Colt M4s. It is a well documented issue with shorter gas systems (read carbine and pistol). This would only be exasperated by going with a pistol length gas system and a shorter barrel.

As far as your tone in the rest of your response, I am sorry if you were offended by my comments. You obviously appear to be sensitive about your investment and that's fine but don't think I was trying to sharp shoot you about it. I just wanted to be clear that if you are seriously planning on using the weapon in a serious CQB role then spending money on the trigger is really frivolous as the stock AR15 trigger works just fine in this role. Yes I have shot smelly bearded men at close range before they shot me. I never felt the standard burst FCG in my M4 was a hindrance in that regard.

I am glad you're having luck with the Failzero treatment. I would imagine a 7.5" would be the ultimate test of it's abilities. If I may ask, how many rounds have you fired lube free? What was the time period which you fired these rounds in? Have you used this weapon in any sort of a high tempo training class where you have fired at least 500 round or more in a day? I am thinking of having this done on the BCG for my LMT 10.5 and wanted to see how it stood up.

Finally if I may offer my $0.02, perhaps less emoticons and better punctuation and grammar would enable you to better communicate your thoughts in your posts. I am having a hell of a time reading what you just wrote.

Iraqgunz
10-29-09, 23:38
Unfortunately this is another one of those cases where someone may have to learn the hard way.

I would be VERY INTERESTED to see how it would perform in a 3 day course.

Actually yes it is. I was an armorer in the US Army for a number of years and saw my fair share of bolt failures on US .mil issued Colt M4s. It is a well documented issue with shorter gas systems (read carbine and pistol). This would only be exasperated by going with a pistol length gas system and a shorter barrel.

As far as your tone in the rest of your response, I am sorry if you were offended by my comments. You obviously appear to be sensitive about your investment and that's fine but don't think I was trying to sharp shoot you about it. I just wanted to be clear that if you are seriously planning on using the weapon in a serious CQB role then spending money on the trigger is really frivolous as the stock AR15 trigger works just fine in this role. Yes I have shot smelly bearded men at close range before they shot me. I never felt the standard burst FCG in my M4 was a hindrance in that regard.

I am glad you're having luck with the Failzero treatment. I would imagine a 7.5" would be the ultimate test of it's abilities. If I may ask, how many rounds have you fired lube free? What was the time period which you fired these rounds in? Have you used this weapon in any sort of a high tempo training class where you have fired at least 500 round or more in a day? I am thinking of having this done on the BCG for my LMT 10.5 and wanted to see how it stood up.

Finally if I may offer my $0.02, perhaps less emoticons and better punctuation and grammar would enable you to better communicate your thoughts in your posts. I am having a hell of a time reading what you just wrote.

lmt-cazy
10-30-09, 10:00
decodeddiesel, no hard feeling bro, i was at the other forum, they had two guys talk so sh*t about the 7.5" SBR, but never fire one. some of these people post 10000 posts but only shoot 100rds a year, i wasn't sure you're one of them.

the 7.5" is my research weapon, i had some of the new products on it, just to see how they perform before putting it to my other ARs.

i just got done building it 3 weeks ago. for the Failzero BCG is too early to talk about the abilities, since i only put about 1000rds down range (2 range trips). did a 6 mags (180rds) repid fire test, a lot of smoke no malfunction, the BCG turn into gold color. so far i had only wipe it down with a towel no detail cleaning yet.

my next 4 days class will be in jan/feb, i'll take the 7.5" and 10.5" SBR as a backup, we'll see how it stand up against the desert sands for 4 days.

again sorry about my reaction to your post:cool: