PDA

View Full Version : what are the pros and cons to having a Noveske upper with a switchblock?

Damo
10-23-09, 01:31
I have decided to get an Novenske 14.5" Afghan 5.56mm upper with VIS for my first rifle. However, I would like to know about the switchblock VIS upper. How Does a switchblock benefit the rifle and/or shooter? What does it actually do?What are the pros and cons to having the switchblock? Also, does the switchblock restrict your ability to add a rail systems? This is going to be my first rifle so I want to make the right choice.

Thanks for your response!

rob_s
10-23-09, 04:49
The purpose of the switchblock is to regulate the gas when using a suppressor. It has three setting: suppressed, unsuppressed, and "off".

If you're not going to suppress the gun, you don't need one. If you're always going to suppress the gun, you don't need one.

The downside is that it affects rail choice and adds cost and complexity to the rifle.

C4IGrant
10-23-09, 09:00
I have decided to get an Novenske 14.5" Afghan 5.56mm upper with VIS for my first rifle. However, I would like to know about the switchblock VIS upper. How Does a switchblock benefit the rifle and/or shooter? What does it actually do?What are the pros and cons to having the switchblock? Also, does the switchblock restrict your ability to add a rail systems? This is going to be my first rifle so I want to make the right choice.

If you are not using a can, nothing.

It does hinder your ability to run a longer rail.

C4

Damo
10-23-09, 12:14
C4IGRANT- thank you for the response I will be using a flash suppressor but not a sound suppressor (a"CAN"as you call it ). Just to be clear you are saying the only benefit to the switchblock is when you are using a sound suppressor (CAN)?

Darkop
10-23-09, 12:17

The switch block also needs a little bit more maintenance. I usually have to place a couple drops of CLP/Slip2000/carbon cutter, into the three slots at the switch lever to keep it operating smoothly so that it doesn't get gummed up. It's not a huge problem but has to be done. This is on a 12" Crusader with Halo can.

If you are not going to run the gun suppressed then spend the money elsewhere.

Until that day,
Darkop

C4IGrant
10-23-09, 12:25
C4IGRANT- thank you for the response I will be using a flash suppressor but not a sound suppressor (a"CAN"as you call it ). Just to be clear you are saying the only benefit to the switchblock is when you are using a sound suppressor (CAN)?

Correct.

C4

Damo
10-23-09, 12:35
Thanks again C4IGRANT! Then it looks like no switchblock for me (as for now!)

Damo