PDA

View Full Version : Lee crimp .223 problem :(

sandman_sy
10-23-09, 03:22
So, i recently bought some bullets that has bullet cannelure... and as i've read in some threads, if we reload this.. it should be with a crimp. and Lee factory die crimp has been a favorite for some shooters. so i went ahead and bought one.

Lee Factory Die Crimp for 223.. upon inspection it looks exactly like the ones i see on youtube. so i went ahead to reaload.. and i took one of my reloads.. just to try if i can put a crimp on it. But to no success... i felt it had no pressure when you raise the shell holder. so upon further inspection.. i took out the die and dropped the ammo in.. and to my surprise the ammo went all in the die, it somehow answered my question why there was no pressure.

The rear side of the ammo was leveled with the bottom part of the die..

anyone experienced this?? any suggestions as to why this is?? I'm a newbie on crimping so maybe im missing something....

Ttwwaack
10-23-09, 04:48
With the die in the press, raise the shell holder to just touch the bottom of the die. While looking down at the top of the die you should see 6 lines/cuts going from the center hole out the wall of the die. Slowly adjust the die tighter, 1/8-1/6 of a turn and bottom out the shell holder without a cartridge in it so that the shell holder pushes the center sliding cartridge support into the die. You'll know it is working when you see the collet close up looking down frm the top. Adjust to your liking. Too tight and it will deform your bullet. Greg

I know it is kinda rough but it is late. If the directions and my guidance don't help, some will be by in a few hours that could explain it alittle beyter.

rocket56
10-23-09, 10:54
I adjust my lee crimper about 1/2 turn past the point where the arm is in its upmost position.. in other words,with the arm all the way up.with the shell holder in it. screw in the crimping die in, as it starts to touch the shell holder,keep going about a half a turn.you will see the arm starting to move out about an inch. that is where i set my die in order to get a propper crimp..I hope that makes sense for you.

sandman_sy
10-24-09, 01:31
So i did more research and testing so this is my finding...

1.) Once the shells get resized by my Lee Full Length Resizer.. the mouth gets too small that it just shoots through the crimp die... I took a non resized brass that been fired... and took a bullets.. it just slides through.. so its big and flared... when i tried to crimp it.. it was successfully crimped.. but again.. the prob is the finish product.. it just wont crimp..

Before i return this.. let me enumerate what i use, maybe im using or doing something that im not suppose to do ..

I use a Lee Deluxe Die Set.. it includes a Full Length Sizer.. a Collet Die and Bullet Seater.

Here's my process:

1.) Tumble the brass
2.) I deprime the brass using Full Length
3.) Trim and Chamfer the brass
4.) Tumble again to remove lube
5.) Prime
6.) Powder
7.) Seat the Bullet
8.) CRIMP??????

is my process correct?? i seem to think so.. but maybe my newbish experience could be the problem here.. maybe the crimp process should be earlier??

btw... i saw this pic on another forum and this is exactly the way it looked like...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33277&d=1253139714
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33276&d=1253139696

Ttwwaack
10-24-09, 03:33
What is the length (OAL) of your trimmed brass? If you are trimming it too much, the brass will be to short (< 1.750) and miss the crimp groove. Try resizing a piece of fired brass. If it is a a factory once fired it should be in the 1.755-1.765 area after FL resizing trim it to no less than 1.755-1.758. Seat a bullet and try crimping that. If that doesn't do it call. You have a PM