PDA

View Full Version : new CCW

woody d
10-23-09, 14:24
i recently let my Glock 26 go, as i was in a bind and thought i wouldnt really miss it. well guess what, i do. lol..... i have carried glocks and sig autos for 8 years now, and want a little advice. if you had to choose between a subcompact glock/M&P/XD, what would you go with? i prefer the 9mm as i have ALOT of ammo stockpiled. i have no experience with the others (M&P n XD), and im a little leary to go with something new, but ive heard good things about them. what do ya think?

Littlelebowski
10-23-09, 14:37
Only one answer. M&P C 9.

eagle5
10-23-09, 14:46
If you already have familiarity with the Glock 26, why not get another to replace the one you previously had?

Otherwise, I would opt for the M&P9c.

decodeddiesel
10-23-09, 14:54
I'll have to agree with The Dude, and Eagle5.

I have been carrying my M&P9C with a thumb safety daily for 7 months. The pistol is (for me) ergonomically superior to the G26, and easier to shoot, yet conceals just as easilly.

Size wise the M&P compact falls somewhere between a G26 and a G19. I prefer to use the pinky rest on my magazines which makes the grip length a little longer, but really isn't an issue with compromising conceal ability given the way I carry.

The only things I have done with the pistol is add Warren Tactical night sights. I have fired about 3000 rounds (mixed 115 FMJ and 147 JHP), and gone through 3 holsters trying to find the right one for me, LOL. The only issue I had was a failure to return to battery with Winchester White Box 115 FMJ ammo around 2500 rounds or so. Honestly though the gun was damn near dry as far as lube and had not been cleaned in over 1000 rounds. Also I have read others having problems with WWB as of late so I am hard pressed to hold it against the pistol. A quick tap on the back of the slide and she was up and running again.

All in all it is my favorite daily carry piece.

woody d
10-23-09, 15:12
If you already have familiarity with the Glock 26, why not get another to replace the one you previously had?

Otherwise, I would opt for the M&P9c. S&W is what the salesman was saying too. thats why i came here...those guys make me laugh at times with all their "knowledge".

Aristogeiton
10-23-09, 15:31
I have a G26 and a M&P9c and they both work very well.

I mainly shoot Glocks, so the G26 is the one I like to carry.

Having said that.....I like the feel of the M&P9c better than the G26.

Go handle both of them again and see what you like best. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. :)

CCK
10-23-09, 17:33
If I didn't have all the Glock accessories I have (in other words, just starting out) I would get the mp9c. Having said that. My holsters and metric shit-ton of Glock 9mm mags makes the 26 way to go for me.

Chris

Palmguy
10-23-09, 17:54
Both are good choices.

woody d
10-23-09, 18:47
so nobody likes the XD?

Littlelebowski
10-23-09, 18:57
Not really, woody. There's several very informative threads here that you should search for and read but it boils down to that the XD is not issued widely to any agency or PD (makes one wonder why, eh?), no serious trainers recommend it (in fact they specifically advise against it), and there are documented problems with its reliability.

This forum is focused on training. Training is hard on gear. Not a box or two of ammo once or twice a month but say 1500 rds in two days. Stuff like that. During training like this, defects come to light.

Get a Glock 9mm or S&W M&P.

ralph
10-23-09, 18:59
so nobody likes the XD?

Well,Uhh...NO. Littlebowski's post above pretty much says it all. Do a search and you should come up with several pages of disscussion, Reading them changed my mind on the XD...

Spade
10-23-09, 20:29
I own an XD 45. I really like the pistol & it does everything I do with with it pretty well. I had actually looked at buying the M&P but at the time the only had the 9 & 40, so I went with the XD. If I was to buy now I would probably go with the M&P. It really seems to be a great pistol & there are quite a bit more companies providing holsters & gear for it than there is for the XD.

sudnit5
10-23-09, 21:23
I had an XD for a while, but it felt funny in my hand. It sat weird. I got rid of it and am now in your boat looking for a new one. My Ruger LCP is temporarily in it's place.

jeremy45
10-23-09, 23:30
I'm not sure if you care about this, but the Crimson Trace grips made for the M&P's mount more solid than the ones for Glock and are very comfortable on the pistol as they simply replace the backstrap.

However, if you know you already like the Glock why change?

Jeremy45

G-2
10-24-09, 09:00
Glock here, have only heard good things about the new S&W pistol, but have no experience with it so can't say. Have experience with the XD and don't recommend it over the other two.

Beat Trash
10-24-09, 09:45
I own both a Glock 26 and an M&P9c.

I can shoot the M&P a tad better, split times are slightly better. I bought the M&P9c in 2007 after carrying the full size M&P as an issued gun for over a year (at that time).

I still use my G26 in a FIST pocket kydex holster as a pocket gun for larger cargo shorts type pocket carry, and for outside pocket carry of parka's in the winter. The M&P9c is too big for this method of carry, the G26 is pushing the upper limits, in my opinion.

Prior to buying the M&P, I took a T&E M&P9c my Department had on hand, along with my personally owned G26. I literally shot them side by side on a couple of tactical courses we had set up at the time. I'd shoot a stage with one gun, set it down and shoot the same gun with the other stage. Other than noticing myself using both my strong hand thumb and trigger finger to release the slide using both sides of the slide release at the same time (didn't notice I was doing so until the end when I caught myself trying to do it with the Glock), I really didn't notice that much difference in my performance between either gun.

Since then, my Department has issued about 200 of the M&P9c's to investigators, command staff, and undercover officers. The performance of the compact has been the same as the full size M&P 9mm's we've had in the field for four years now.

To the OP, nothing wrong with a 9mm. You have ammo already on hand. I would narrow your choices down to either the M&P or the Glock 26. Between the two, I would give a slight edge to the M&P, as it feels a bit better in the hand. But that is in my hand.

Try both out to see which you prefer. If you have carried the Glock for so long and were satisfied with it, then get another one. If you feel like trying something new, then get an M&P9c.

I feel the quality and reliability of the two designs is comparable. After that it comes down to personal preference