PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter if a concealed carry holster covers the trigger guard?

Erik 1
10-23-09, 18:49
Does it matter if a holster for concealed carry fully (or even partially) covers the trigger guard?

If so, does it make a difference if the holster is made for IWB or OWB carry?

I have seen concealed carry holsters, including some I might be interested in trying, made both ways. Thus the question. I understand that at least some kinds of competition require that the trigger guard be fully covered. That's not really relevant to my question (although it does seem to suggest that at least some think it matters). My question is, does it matter from a practical and/or safety perspective for daily carry?

Thanks.

Outlander Systems
10-23-09, 19:10
Erik: I personally wouldn't wear my side iron in a holster without a trigger guard, strictly for safety reasons.

I wouldn't be comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, if I didn't have a holster that covered the trigger, external/thumb safety or not.

hopeitsfast
10-23-09, 19:30
Erik: I personally wouldn't wear my side iron in a holster without a trigger guard, strictly for safety reasons.

I wouldn't be comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, if I didn't have a holster that covered the trigger, external/thumb safety or not.I agree with this. Just to many variables that could pop up. I've bumped my holster against stuff many times, if that trigger is uncovered it just might snag. I'm sure the chances of that happening are minuscule but with my luck i'd end up like plaxico.

Erik 1
10-23-09, 19:36
Do you feel differently if it's IWB, so the whole thing would be covered by your pants? (I swear there's a joke in that sentence, if I can just find it.)

hopeitsfast
10-23-09, 19:50
Do you feel differently if it's IWB, so the whole thing would be covered by your pants? (I swear there's a joke in that sentence, if I can just find it.)To me it doesn't change regardless. IMO, there are just to many good holsters that do cover the trigger and still offer a quick draw to compromise safety. Of course others may feel differently.

Spade
10-23-09, 20:21
I carry mine IWB as well & have the trigger covered for the reasons already mentioned.

MarshallDodge
10-23-09, 20:34
I wouldn't do it.

All kinds of bad things can happen if you don't choose the right holster: Link (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/09/deep-concealment-discharge.html)

Erik 1
10-23-09, 21:02
Yikes! That's a hell of a story.

sudnit5
10-23-09, 21:29
I wouldn't do it either. I could just see it going off in my pants...

jeremy45
10-23-09, 23:54
I carry IWB every day and my trigger is fully covered. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Gomez
10-24-09, 01:07
Exposed trigger guards on carry and duty holsters are a relic of the past. The thought process was that you could get on the trigger sooner if the holster did not cover it. It was correct.

This idea was so pervasive and so problematic that as late as the mid 1970s the FBI issued a holster with an exposed trigger guard for field use but issued a holster with a covered trigger guard to recruits when they were running 'Hogan's Alley'.

Bill Rogers early kydex holsters featured an exposed trigger but were designed so that the finger could not be on the trigger when the gun was drawn.

tpd223
10-24-09, 02:15
I know a guy who got shot in the ass by his own 1911, carried IWB without a holster. Normal body movement swiped the safety off, and the trigger somehow got pull when he was bending over to pick something up.

Fortunately for him he wasn't carry AIWB.

This occurred in front of witnesses at work, so he did shoot himself and then come up with a story on how the gun "just went off!", it actually did.

So, yes, trigger guard should be covered.

G-2
10-24-09, 09:17
Carry Glocks and P220 SAO 'cocked 'n' locked' and a trigger guard cover is a must on ALL leather and kydex. Think that "Navigating Collapse" said it best in the 2nd post in this thread, well put!

Erik 1
10-24-09, 11:50
Thanks very much for the input guys. Those stories about accidental discharges are scary and persuasive; especially the ones where the fabric somehow bunches up and gets inside the trigger guard. The last thing I need is to accidentally shoot myself in the ass (or worse since I've been reading the appendix carry threads with interest).

ST911
10-24-09, 12:25
Does it matter if a holster for concealed carry fully (or even partially) covers the trigger guard? If so, does it make a difference if the holster is made for IWB or OWB carry?

Yes. No.

Doggiecop
10-29-09, 08:39
I cast another vote for the covered trigger guard, OWB or IWB, covered.

geminidglocker
10-29-09, 09:59
The trigger, along with my brain, are the only thing keeping my Glock from firing, therefore I say cover the trigger/trigger gaurd area. Simple common sense.

CDDM416
10-29-09, 10:34
Fully covered here. I use a Rocket Man Lowrider for my G-19..

Erik 1
10-29-09, 11:45
It's interesting that the overwhelming response here so far is that the trigger guard should be covered. Google turned up a few different view points when I searched. I do think there's a higher concentration of industry professionals here than on some of the sources that came up in my search. Myself, I can't really get comfortable with the idea of the trigger being exposed, so the responses all make sense to me.

ST911
10-29-09, 13:10
It's interesting that the overwhelming response here so far is that the trigger guard should be covered. Google turned up a few different view points when I searched. I do think there's a higher concentration of industry professionals here than on some of the sources that came up in my search. Myself, I can't really get comfortable with the idea of the trigger being exposed, so the responses all make sense to me.

Consider the training, experience, context of use, and professional development of other sources, and weigh it against your needs.

WhoUtink
10-29-09, 13:29
All guns are always loaded. Not protecting the trigger is like omitting this rule.

Erik 1
10-29-09, 15:39
Consider the training, experience, context of use, and professional development of other sources, and weigh it against your needs.

My need is to carry securely and minimize the risk of blowing a hole in my ass.

spamsammich
10-29-09, 16:00
Fully covered is how I carry iwb or open.