PDA

View Full Version : 64gn Fusion bullets

sniperfrog
10-23-09, 19:53
SurplusAmmo.com has some 64gn Federal Fusion bullets, 1000count, for $104. That seams like a pretty decent price, no?
Actually, the Fusion bullet from Federal is a 62gn but they have a little note at the bottom of the webpage that explains this. I'm thinking they're probably the Gold Dot version that Speer offers. The picture shows the rebated boat tail that these bullets have as well. They must have got some deal from Federal/Speer/ATK to get these cuz ther're only offered everywhere else as loaded ammo.

Molon
10-23-09, 20:10
The 64 grain Fusion bullet does indeed weigh 64 grains (not 62 grains) and while the 64 grain Fusion bullet is very similar to the 64 grain Gold Dot, it is not exactly the same. I have yet to see the 64 grain Fusion bullet in loaded ammunition for sale to the general public.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/f6roo0l250.jpg

sniperfrog
10-24-09, 09:09
Thanks Molon, I was hoping you'd see this. I went ahead and bought them. Do you have a recommendation for powder with this bullet?

chadbag
10-24-09, 12:18
So, tell us about this bullet.

5pins
10-24-09, 13:24

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

Safetyhit
10-25-09, 12:06
I have yet to see the 64 grain Fusion bullet in loaded ammunition for sale to the general public.

Any specific reason as to why? Where might one find this bullet/round being used?

chadbag
10-25-09, 12:12

Is this a good bonded bullet for barrier penetration? I am not that familiar with the various 556/223 type bullets out there...

Artos
10-25-09, 13:03
I have had excellent luck shooting the fusion on deer sized game in larger cals. They use some sort of chemical bonding process to adhear the jacket to the core. The process is more efficient than other bonded bullets and helps keep the price down. I am really impressed with this bullet in their .270 & 30-06 loads & think it is the best deer bullet available right now. This does not apply for the super mags with speeds over 3000fps as even the bondeds can get tested in this range.

I would 'assume' this 64gr pill would be the same hunting type application. tougher than conventional but probably not marketed for barrier penetration.

TY44934
10-28-09, 14:45
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

THE RIFLE BULLET'S JACKET IS ELECTROPLATED AND IT IS QUALITY (yes, I did mean to shout).

Look, the ammo companies try to hide the fact that they use electroplating because many reloaders are too stupid to distinguish quality electroplating from cheap thin electroplating. So they dupe you with terms like "bonded" or "TMJ'd"

Case in point: the Gold Dot pistol bullet is electroplated and its one of the best defensive bullets used by police.

Back to Fusion: here is their site:

http://www.fusionammo.com/technology.aspx

And here is what it says about how Fusion bullets are made:

1) A pressure-formed core provides the combination of expansion and strength never before available in this class of deer rifle projectile

2) The copper jacket is deposited and applied to the core one molecule at a time for total integrity and grove-gripping potential"

Hmm - just how are you going to "apply" a jacket, "one molecule at a time" ???:eek:

Electroplating. That is the ONLY way.

There is no "bonding" going on here, in the traditional sense. These are silply high quality electroplated bullets (but please don't use the evil "E" word around Federal). :mad: