PDA

View Full Version : I feel really lame... please be gentle!

Selftest
10-24-09, 00:45
Alright. So, I got my new BCM midlength the other day (Thanks Grant!) and I went to the range today to get her zeroed and check her function. Well, she works, apparently I don't.

I've never owned a rifle before, and I'm unsure on how to zero. I was slightly tired all day, and the weather was hell. I was on paper when I started, but I screwed with the elevation so much that I am no longer on paper when I fire.

Is there a quick and dirty way to at least get the damn thing back on paper, so I can go attempt this again tomorrow? I'm studying up on this all night, so tomorrow I shall have notes taken about how to do this.

I feel like an absolute tool right about now. Sorry for dirtying up the place with my stupidity!

Also, just fyi, trying to zero at 25 yrds with the large aperature (Troy BUIS and stock FS). My vision is corrected with glasses. Don't think this actually matters, but I thought I'd tell ya anyway.

Iraqgunz
10-24-09, 01:19
Bring the front sight post all the way down till it's flush. Set your rear sight till the aperture is center and then try again. I would set up a bullseye type target and do a 50 yd zero. With a larger target you should be able to see where the rounds are impacting.

Alright. So, I got my new BCM midlength the other day (Thanks Grant!) and I went to the range today to get her zeroed and check her function. Well, she works, apparently I don't.

I've never owned a rifle before, and I'm unsure on how to zero. I was slightly tired all day, and the weather was hell. I was on paper when I started, but I screwed with the elevation so much that I am no longer on paper when I fire.

Is there a quick and dirty way to at least get the damn thing back on paper, so I can go attempt this again tomorrow? I'm studying up on this all night, so tomorrow I shall have notes taken about how to do this.

I feel like an absolute tool right about now. Sorry for dirtying up the place with my stupidity!

Also, just fyi, trying to zero at 25 yrds with the large aperature (Troy BUIS and stock FS). My vision is corrected with glasses. Don't think this actually matters, but I thought I'd tell ya anyway.

YammyMonkey
10-24-09, 01:20
Might want to try just running the sights back to the center of their range. Spin the front sight all the way in, then count the number of rotations until it's out. Screw it back in 1/2 way & you should be at least on paper at 25yds.

IIRC, this is the mechanical zero.

Selftest
10-24-09, 03:29
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much. I guess half my problem were targets, unfortunately the range staff wasn't too excited about one guy putting up targets while the rest of the shooters had to bench and unload there stuff. It's Deer season right now, and it was all hunting gear today. I was the only guy with an AR.

They do have 10" x 10" targets up right now, so that isn't a problem.

Again, thanks a bunch for the responses.

Quib
10-24-09, 08:56
Along with setting your sights to “Mechanical Zero” as mentioned above, you might want to utilize a military 25m zero target for your initial zero.

The 25m zero target outlines exactly which sight to adjust and which direction, based off where your rounds are hitting during zeroing. (See my example below.)

If you Google “US Army 25m Zero Target” you should be able to find the correct target to download. If not, shoot me an email and I’ll see what I can do.

This might help clear up some of the confusion associated with zeroing AR15 iron sights for the first time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/ZeroingTargetExample.jpg

Failure2Stop
10-24-09, 09:25
Bring everything back to a mechanical zero (everything in the middle of their adjustment rage). If you are really jacked up you might want to start the zeroing procedure at the 10 yard line and then move it out to longer distances.

Remember that on the front sight the "UP" arrow (clockwise) is indicating movement of the strike of round.

On the windage, moving the drum clockwise will move the strike of the round to the right.

Rule of thumb: Clockwise= right and up.

Mac5.56
10-24-09, 11:56
Good luck today! One thing I wanted to add as someone that is new to AR's but also new to public/populated ranges vs. open BLM land:

When I first started shooting publicly I honestly had performance anxiety. It really effected my ability to focus when zeroing. The conditions of the shooter effect your ability to zero too... ;) Make sure you aren't tired when you go (why waste the ammo), get your ranges schedule and show up at a cease fire so your not disrupting everyone. But most importantly the thing I learned is: 80% of the people around you at a public range are horrible shots. I can't tell you the number of times I have gotten glares from people at ranges only to have them pull their targets and be all over the board. The only person your competing with is yourself.

I realize that this is kind of lame info, and I sound like a gosh darn self help book, but I had major problems zeroing my first rifle because I was new to it, and the conditions were similar to what you described.

Good luck, and enjoy your first rifle, congrats!!

Safetyhit
10-24-09, 13:30
I've never owned a rifle before, and I'm unsure on how to zero. I was slightly tired all day...

You mean while going to shoot your new, and first, rifle you were tired? Not even a little adrenaline going?

I was on paper when I started, but I screwed with the elevation so much that I am no longer on paper when I fire.

While you have your remedy, sounds like the cause was the somewhat common urge to rush the process rather than make the fine adjustments needed. Lesson learned.

Selftest
10-24-09, 21:21
It was a mixture of a lot of things: First rifle, excited, nervous, tired, it was rainy and wet, I got lost getting to the range (first time there)... I had to use a spotting scope because the range is "hot all the time" unless there are enough shooters to get a cold range for target changes. The guy next to me was shooting a .300 WM (which definitely woke me up!)... It was just a lousy day to go shoot, but I still had fun. I'm only gonna zero at this range, because it has a 25m target already set up. One shot per second rule is B.S for defensive training. Gonna find some BLM land around here and do some move and shoot stuff (after I'm comfortable, of course)

Again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

lmmmmm
10-24-09, 22:56
grab a laser bore sighter if all else fails. that should get you back on paper.

Mac5.56
10-25-09, 13:04
The guy next to me was shooting a .300 WM (which definitely woke me up!)... It was just a lousy day to go shoot, but I still had fun. I'm only gonna zero at this range, because it has a 25m target already set up. One shot per second rule is B.S for defensive training. Gonna find some BLM land around here and do some move and shoot stuff (after I'm comfortable, of course)

Again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

If you have the intention of finding BLM land to shoot, just zero there too.
If your set on using this range you found one suggestion I have to deal with the noise of other rifles is to use ear plugs and muffs.

Selftest
10-31-09, 00:14
Just an update...

Found that BLM land and zeroed there. Not a precise 25m, but I was POA/POI at between 25-50m after about 30 rounds. Had a buddy spotting where rounds were hitting. Put it to the test, and at everything from 20ft-50m I had very little hold/over under and I was shooting at Red Bull cans on the move, and hitting them reliably.

The BCM middy is boringly reliable, and fed shitty russian ammo (golden tiger) and some S&B M193. Put about 260 rounds through her in what felt like no time at all, and never had a problem.

Took her home and cleaned her up real nice. Now I just have to find some spare cash and start stacking ammo through the long winter, so I can have some major fun in the spring. Should have an optic by then, and tons of dry-fire time in. Hopefully going to take a class at Firearm Institute of Seattle in the early spring and then hopefully, if I can save the cash, take a Magpul TC II class in April. I can't believe they're coming to WA state, and I hope I can save the ammo/cash for a class that is 20 mins from my house.

Thanks again guys. I'm glad I found this place.

frbowers
10-31-09, 01:35
If this is your first rifle, let alone first AR, you might want to grab this little book:

http://www.bhigear.com/m16m4handbook-bymikepannone.aspx

It will help with zeroing, manual of arms, basic maintenance, etc.

lmmmmm
10-31-09, 19:07
Just an update...

if I can save the cash, take a Magpul TC II class in April. I can't believe they're coming to WA state, and I hope I can save the ammo/cash for a class that is 20 mins from my house.

Where do you find the info on the TC class?

Selftest
10-31-09, 20:02
Magpuldynamics.com has a calendar of upcoming classes, all the way into next year.

Belmont31R
10-31-09, 20:17
Also remember you change elevation with the front sight, and windage (side to side) with the rear sight.

jtb0311
10-31-09, 21:59
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much. I guess half my problem were targets, unfortunately the range staff wasn't too excited about one guy putting up targets while the rest of the shooters had to bench and unload there stuff. It's Deer season right now, and it was all hunting gear today. I was the only guy with an AR.

They do have 10" x 10" targets up right now, so that isn't a problem.

Again, thanks a bunch for the responses.

Try the targets that change color where you hit them. I like those for zeroing, a regular black bullseye that's lime green underneath.