PDA

View Full Version : slugs with choke tubes?

M4Fundi
10-24-09, 02:33
Can you shoot slugs thru choke tubes?

If so which tubes are safe?

If so which tube would be best?

WS6
10-24-09, 03:00
Foster slugs can be fired safely through Cyl-Full chokes. IC usually works best, but MOD has done fine for me in the past.

M4Fundi
10-24-09, 03:08
I stand corrected they are Fed rifled Hydra Shok HP slugs... those OK?

I sold my Tac Shotgun and have not replaced it yet...sooooo I will be using my Win Super X-1 Dove gun with original Briley Choke Tubes from 1983 which were designed for lead only not steel.

I have a 3Gun match tomorrow and need to shoot 10 slugs and 200 bird shot. I would rather not be scored and skip the slugs if there is any risk to my barrel.

WS6
10-24-09, 03:32
I stand corrected they are Fed rifled Hydra Shok HP slugs... those OK?

I sold my Tac Shotgun and have not replaced it yet...sooooo I will be using my Win Super X-1 Dove gun with original Briley Choke Tubes from 1983 which were designed for lead only not steel.

I have a 3Gun match tomorrow and need to shoot 10 slugs and 200 bird shot. I would rather not be scored and skip the slugs if there is any risk to my barrel.

Shouldn't have trouble, but play it safe and stick to bird-shot. Always best to play it safe with firearms or money.

Buck
10-24-09, 13:02
slugs with choke tubes?

Not recommended... You can shoot a slug through a IC or MOD barrel. Its not ideal but ok for the most part... I would try to avoid screw in full choke tubes with slugs if possible...

B

WS6
10-24-09, 14:12
Not recommended... You can shoot a slug through a IC or MOD barrel. Its not ideal but ok for the most part... I would try to avoid screw in full choke tubes with slugs if possible...

B

For what reason? Is said reason substantiated by evidence you are willing to present?

My above question is assuming that you mean that screw-in chokes are not good for slugs based on your statement "...IC or MOD barrel..."

Is this the case, or where you strictly referring to the use of "full" chokes?

Buck
10-24-09, 20:40
For what reason? Is said reason substantiated by evidence you are willing to present?

This will likely be the result... However YMMV...

B

11Bravo
10-24-09, 20:45
I have a rifled Rem-Choke tube, so... I'd say Remington says it's OK.
Probably don't want to try it through an extra-full choke.
Just off the top of my head with nothing what so ever to back it up, I would guess that a sabot would be less likely to cause problems than a full bore slug.

WS6
10-24-09, 21:08

B

My foster slugs all are advertised to work fine through full-choked shotguns, even ones with screw-in chokes. Do you know what occured to cause what is shown in that picture, or is this a random picture?

IrishDevil
10-25-09, 20:50
I've never seen any issues with slugs in choke tube barrels. There is no telling how many slugs pass through choke tube equipped barrels at 3-Gun matches every weekend. I personally have fired around 150 slugs over the course of this year using IC chokes in my Benelli's. I've always "heard" you can go as tight as full choke, and know people that do at matches. I personally stick to IC chokes for slugs. YMMV:cool:

MarkG
10-25-09, 20:56

B

That buldge is way before the choke restriction. The only issue with using full choke is the slug may deform and lose some accuracy.

Skang
10-25-09, 22:55
aren't you suppose to take choke off? (nothing attached to the end)

IrishDevil
10-25-09, 23:23
You don't want to shoot anything out of a internally choked barrel without a choke installed. It will damage the threads at the end of the barrel.

M4Fundi
10-26-09, 00:24
Thanks, I'm going to call Briley and get their take on it

WS6
10-26-09, 03:33
Thanks, I'm going to call Briley and get their take on it

You mean a forum isn't what you want to base the fate of your shotgun on? :cool:

M4Fundi
10-26-09, 20:29
I haven't found a forum yet that has a "WARRANTY";)

and Briley's will back up their word:)

WS6
10-26-09, 20:34
I haven't found a forum yet that has a "WARRANTY";)

and Briley's will back up their word:)

If you choose to take my advice and it doesn't work out for you, I will refund you the monies that you payed me for my advice. 100%. Lifetime guarantee. No exceptions. Transferrable as well!

hoveyh
10-26-09, 21:55
I have a M1 Super90 .... I run one choke for everything .... a Light Mod choke... 3gun, shotgun matches, bunnies, deer w/ LE slugs ..... Azone slugs to 60yds, headshots @ 25 with slugs. LE 9pellet buck stays Azone @ 20 yrds ....I just don't remove that choke at all. I can knock over 8" plates @ 20yds with clay loads .... simply love that gun and that choke .....

HH

WS6
10-26-09, 23:13
I have a M1 Super90 .... I run one choke for everything .... a Light Mod choke... 3gun, shotgun matches, bunnies, deer w/ LE slugs ..... Azone slugs to 60yds, headshots @ 25 with slugs. LE 9pellet buck stays Azone @ 20 yrds ....I just don't remove that choke at all. I can knock over 8" plates @ 20yds with clay loads .... simply love that gun and that choke .....

HH

Did you try IC/M/IM and settle in LM, or did you just pop it in, it worked, so you have kept it?

M4Fundi
10-27-09, 01:56
My worry was if choke tubes made for "lead only" back in the 80s might not like slugs. I talked to Briley a few years ago about replacing the "lead only" tubes with "steel certified" tubes and just haven't gotten around to doing it, so I figured my choke tubes might be too antiquated for today's slugs.

I think Zak and I decided after his 3Gun Match the best solution was to call Briley and then buy a Benelli:p

MK108
10-27-09, 08:02
Can you shoot slugs thru choke tubes?

If so which tubes are safe?

If so which tube would be best?

it depends on the slugs you would like to use...

All the best
Andrea

hoveyh
10-27-09, 11:05
WS6 ..... yes, it came w/ the standard IC,M,F .... I did my testing w/ shotshell for pattern tightness for 3gun and found Mod too tight. Full is really tight ..... the surprize was how well the LM shot reduced recoil slugs (plenty of horsepower for deer ... trust me).

It has Ghost ring rear sight .. I took a dremmel cutting wheel and nipped off the hoop .. now it is just like a 3dot pistol sight .....

Sorry for the drift on this

HH