PDA

View Full Version : Glass for better shooting in the 100-400m Realm

igoswoop
10-24-09, 10:49
Gun/Ammo:

S&W M&P15A w/16" 1:9 barrel... I shoot mainly XM193 & LC M855 from this gun due to a very good supply of a lot of this stuff. I am not looking at this topic for a terminal ballistics discussion on the effectiveness of these loads at ranges beyond 200m slung from a 16" tube. As I learn more about it I'm beginning to see I will need to handload AFAIK to have a good load for social work at this range. A barrel upgrade may very well be in the mix soon and a necessity to run heavier loads but this is not my question. I'm OK with the limitations I have at this time.

I currently run a T-1 on it and am loving it but I want to add a variable powered optic for better target discrimination and more precise shooting at distance from time to time. This is not my only rifle so I can leave this one set up with glass from time to time. I do not have S&B Shortdot $$$ so after shopping the 1-5x optics, I'm settled on one of these two:

-The Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20 M2 Illum. Ret (appx $900)
-The Nightforce NXS 1-4x24 (appx $1300)

Those who have owned one or the other (or both), please share some of your thoughts on these optics and why you liked them and what you didn't like. I'm not asking you to choose for me, just digging a little deeper than the product descriptions. I've never held either in my hands up close so this will be more or less a 'blind' purchase.

Thanks

Combat_Diver
10-25-09, 01:34
I do not have expericence with either one of those scopes. I would suggest that you consider a 3x magnifier for your TI with a swing mount.

CD