PDA

View Full Version : 1911 .22lr Conversion Kits

rjacobs
10-24-09, 11:42
I want to pick up a conversion kit for my Springfield Loaded, but I am unsure which one to get. While I want the best, price is a consideration.

i have seen the kimber kit for about 300 or so and the tactical solutions kit is 400. From what I have researched on here the Tactical Solutions kit is GTG, I didnt find anything on the kimber kit though. The one thing about the kimber kit I like is you can get it in a stainless(silver in their words) finish and I have a stainless Loaded, but that isnt the top of my priority list, functionality is obviously my #1 concern.

Are there any other kits besides the two above that I should be considering?

blkexp98
10-24-09, 13:41
I have the marvel conversion and its been great so far. I made a little tool from clear plastic to make loading the magazines easier. I mostly shoot minimags from it but have shot some lower powered ammo from time to time. With the minimags ive never had any issues but i think i remember havingsome problems once the slide got dirty with the lower powered ammo.

Let me know if you want any pictures. Mine is on a compact 1911 so that will be the only real difference. They also make one with a better barrel but i chose the cheaper option.

rjacobs
10-24-09, 13:46
I have the marvel conversion and its been great so far. I made a little tool from clear plastic to make loading the magazines easier. I mostly shoot minimags from it but have shot some lower powered ammo from time to time. With the minimags ive never had any issues but i think i remember havingsome problems once the slide got dirty with the lower powered ammo.

Let me know if you want any pictures. Mine is on a compact 1911 so that will be the only real difference. They also make one with a better barrel but i chose the cheaper option.

Thanks, I will look into it.

Boris
10-24-09, 17:51
I have the Kimber silver which contrasts nicely on my black Kimber Custom Target, it runs great and is extremely accurate. In case you don't already know, most - including the Kimber - do not lock the slide back on the last round and I believe the Tactical Solutions does should that be worth the premium to you.

I have also heard nothing but good things about the Marvel but last heard there was a substantial wait to acquire one. The Kimber was available cash and carry out of my local retailer.

-B

rjacobs
10-24-09, 18:26
Not having the slide lock back isnt a huge deal. One of my local gun shops has the Kimber kits in stock, I cant remember, but I think maybe for 300-350.

The Tactical Solutions looks like a really nice kit and when it comes down to 50 bucks or so, im not worried about spending a little bit more money if the kit is worth it.

The Ciener kits are also available in "silver" like the Kimber kits, but I have heard they are hit and miss as far as quality and the company is kinda shady as well.

Boris
10-24-09, 21:38
"The Ciener ... company is kinda shady as well."

That was also my experience and why I'd recommend Kimber or TS.

gfunx2000
10-25-09, 10:41
I run the Advantage Arms and love it. I like it enough that I want one for my G19 too, but can't find them available ever.

sff70
10-25-09, 11:56
I've had very good results with the Marvel (the basic level one).

Also, I have 2 of Marvel's metal mags and 1 of their plastic mags.

The metal ones work better.

carshooter
10-26-09, 09:33
I have an older Wilson Combat marked Ciener .22 lr 1911 conversion kit.

Although I've owned it for approximately 5 years, I didn't use it much until recently. I've put approximately 5,000 rounds through it in the past year with no issues.

The Ciener Aluminum magazines definitely seem more durable than the plastic Kimber magazines and are available in 15 round capacity.

The Marvel conversion kits are more accurate, however they are significantly more expensive.

I threaded the barrel on my Ciener kit, and most of the last 1,000 rounds have been fired with a Gemtech Outback II.

Prange
11-06-10, 14:19
I vote for Marvel. Great CS if you need it,too.

Gunut
11-07-10, 13:10
Not having the slide lock back isnt a huge deal. One of my local gun shops has the Kimber kits in stock, I cant remember, but I think maybe for 300-350.

The Tactical Solutions looks like a really nice kit and when it comes down to 50 bucks or so, im not worried about spending a little bit more money if the kit is worth it.

The Ciener kits are also available in "silver" like the Kimber kits, but I have heard they are hit and miss as far as quality and the company is kinda shady as well.

STI offers and marvel kit with slide lock

MarshallDodge
11-07-10, 16:51
Marvel has a very good reputation. Before I learned about them I purchased the Kimber kit and have been happy with it. It does like higher powered ammo...Federal bulk pack won't run it reliably but Remington Golden Bullets bulk pack will. It runs CCI MiniMags great as well.

Chris60119
11-07-10, 17:01
I look forward to one of these kits one day..Hopefully for Christmas..I have a Kimber gun so I'll probably stick with the Kimber kit.

eternal24k
11-07-10, 19:04
So who has tried the TacSol conversion? I have been really considering picking up a frame for one

Suwannee Tim
11-07-10, 19:38
Ceiner is a crook. I have a Kimber I am very pleased with. Kimber's customer service is excellent.

Walker Precision
11-17-10, 20:27
So who has tried the TacSol conversion? I have been really considering picking up a frame for one

I've had good luck with my TS. The mags are awesome but pricey. My only gripe is it won't fit a standard 1911 holster.

jjw
11-18-10, 12:25
"The Ciener ... company is kinda shady as well."

That was also my experience and why I'd recommend Kimber or TS.

guess who makes the kimber u got it j.a. ciener

go with tac sol. see a lot all work well

good luck

eternal24k
11-18-10, 12:32
I've had good luck with my TS. The mags are awesome but pricey. My only gripe is it won't fit a standard 1911 holster.

isnt there a non railed version? wouldnt that work in a holster?

308murder
11-18-10, 13:31
So where can you get one of the advantage arms kits? They arent selling them on the site because of overwhelming back orders.

bigghoss
11-18-10, 16:22
I have a wilson combat kit made by marvel that I got used. it came with one original mag and one that I think is a ceiner. it works great with CCI and is finiky with others I've tried.

Walker Precision
11-20-10, 13:02
isnt there a non railed version? wouldnt that work in a holster?

Not that I'm aware of.

TRUST8383
11-22-10, 01:50
Kimber .22lr mags won't work if you have any kind of mag well. I went with the marvel standard version and I am very pleased with it's quality & performance on my TRP.

cacop
11-22-10, 20:35
guess who makes the kimber u got it j.a. ciener

go with tac sol. see a lot all work well

good luck

I called Kimber when I bought mine a year ago. They do not use Ceiner anymore.

My Kimber works with the magwell I have on it. Kimber/Ed Brown magwell.

Mine has a few thousand rounds throught it and it works well.