PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade bolt, questions

bobafett
10-24-09, 15:16
After all this time I thought I had the black insert in my Bushmaster bolt but it's blue (Noticed after I cleaned my Bolt) It looks like I have only a 3 or 4 coil spring also. I have had no extraction problems exept for a few back when it was brand new but I had put a D-fender on it years ago and never had a problem since.

So to upgrade I was looking on BravoCompany's web site, would I just need the extractor upgrade kit or should I pay a little more and get the SOPMOD bolt upgrade... or pay a little more and get a new Bolt ? I don't have the spare change to buy an entire BCG right now but they do have a good price on Bolts. Or is there another brand that you guys would recommend?

P.S. search feature not working again? Wasn't it working a while back?

Quib
10-24-09, 15:33
I simply upgraded my bolts with the "BCM Extractor Spring Uprade Kit".

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm

The SOPMOD kit might not be bad to keep on hand with your spares. But if your current extractor is in serviceable condition, why replace it.

Quib
10-24-09, 17:14
Some more info.......http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/ExSpg2.jpg

bobafett
10-24-09, 17:49
Thanks for the advice Quib, and thanks for the link... oh boy! Another website for me to get lost in :D

Seriously, I appreciate the tips :)

Quib
10-24-09, 18:45
Thanks for the advice Quib, and thanks for the link... oh boy! Another website for me to get lost in :D

Seriously, I appreciate the tips :)

Glad to help. :)

jmart
10-24-09, 19:17
You already have a Defender, just leave it alone. The upgrade kit will accomplish nothing the Defender isn't already.

If anything, just get a spare bolt, then you have backup in case the BM bolt fails at some time, and if you run it hard, it eventually will.

bobafett
10-25-09, 00:05
Would a new bolt need any brake in or lapping to the existing barrel extension?

I would leave it alone with just the D-Fender but now knowing I have the incorrect parts I don't want my luck to run out at the wrong time...

ra2bach
10-26-09, 09:36
You already have a Defender, just leave it alone. The upgrade kit will accomplish nothing the Defender isn't already.

If anything, just get a spare bolt, then you have backup in case the BM bolt fails at some time, and if you run it hard, it eventually will.

or he could do it the other way around - get another good quality bolt and keep the BM for a spare...

porboy
10-29-09, 00:32
Blue was for the 20 ' barrel since the 90's and black is more dense has been used in the carbines . If it 's not broke don't go fixen it . after arround 3000 rds
go for the upgrade. I still have a late 60's A1 with low mileage that still has the red insert and original extractor spring. I use it at the range semi only for practice works fine...social work I'd upgrade.