PDA

View Full Version : Another Buffer/Spring Question

Sparky5019
10-24-09, 17:42
OK, I put a Tactical Springs red XP buffer spring and an H3 buffer in my 16" CMMG carbine. It functions flawlessly and locks open on the empty mag EVERY time. I am currently using some Wolff Mil Classic ammo until my next order. Now for the question: does this combo INCREASE my felt recoil or is it better to have the heaviest combo that functions? I have read a lot of the stuff on reciprocating mass and the light vs heavy debate but I guess my real question is related to the combo I'm using and if there is a better one (i.e. H2 and std spring or H3 and XP spring). My carrier is a standard weight (by the pics it looks like an "M16" or full auto carrier).

Many thanks for slightly working over this dead horse!

Sparky

PRGGodfather
10-24-09, 17:45
As the reciprocating mass is lower than the total weight of the buffer, you should feel LESS recoil with the H3.

MarkG
10-25-09, 03:13
As the reciprocating mass is lower than the total weight of the buffer, you should feel LESS recoil with the H3.

The weight of the reciprocating mass and total weight is what? Wow, where do we start from on this one. The ratio is irrelevant when the total weight of the buffer and BCG slams to a stop at the end of the receiver extension a.k.a. felt recoil.

This is a good time to discuss the purpose of the reciprocating weight in the buffer. Its purpose is to keep the bolt carrier from bouncing off of the barrel extension during the chambering step of the counter recoil phase of the cycle of operation. Recoil was never a consideration. That being said, you are ultimately going to sacrifce reliability in your search for comfort.

I would put your OEM buffer and action spring back in and call it good. I have to believe the manufacturer used properly spec'd parts when they assembled your rifle.

Robb Jensen
10-25-09, 06:49
OK, I put a Tactical Springs red XP buffer spring and an H3 buffer in my 16" CMMG carbine. It functions flawlessly and locks open on the empty mag EVERY time. I am currently using some Wolff Mil Classic ammo until my next order. Now for the question: does this combo INCREASE my felt recoil or is it better to have the heaviest combo that functions? I have read a lot of the stuff on reciprocating mass and the light vs heavy debate but I guess my real question is related to the combo I'm using and if there is a better one (i.e. H2 and std spring or H3 and XP spring). My carrier is a standard weight (by the pics it looks like an "M16" or full auto carrier).

Many thanks for slightly working over this dead horse!

Sparky

IMO you've over-fixed your gun.

If it's a carbine length gas system: I'd run a CAR buffer and an XP buffer spring OR a standard buffer spring and an H buffer. If the gun were to be suppressed I'd suggest an H2 with a standard rate buffer spring.

If it's a midlength gas system: I'd run a CAR buffer and standard rate buffer spring but definately nothing heavier than a H buffer.

Sparky5019
10-25-09, 08:06
Thanks Robb,

I failed to mention that it is a CAR length gas system. Ok, so being new to the AR platform, I'll be thick and ask why the H3 and XP red spring is too much. I also noticed a little soot/carbon at the insertion of the muzzle end of the gas tube to gas block and that is when I started this thread because I thought there might be a problem.

Also, if the H3 is over kill then I guess I am causing myself MORE felt recoil...right?

Thanks,

Sparky

HD1911
10-25-09, 10:13
Thanks Robb,

I failed to mention that it is a CAR length gas system. Ok, so being new to the AR platform, I'll be thick and ask why the H3 and XP red spring is too much. I also noticed a little soot/carbon at the insertion of the muzzle end of the gas tube to gas block and that is when I started this thread because I thought there might be a problem.

Also, if the H3 is over kill then I guess I am causing myself MORE felt recoil...right?

Thanks,

Sparky

Just buy a Daggone Muzzle Brake or Compensator...and return your setup to what GotM4 said.

Belmont31R
10-25-09, 11:12
Thanks Robb,

Thanks,

Sparky

Remember physics. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Recoil is the opposite reaction to the action of the bullet going forward. You're bolt doesnt unlock until the bullet is already out of the barrel. The recoil you are feeling is from the round being fired not from the buffer.

You can reduce felt recoil with weight and/or a muzzle brake. With a brake you have to deal with its side effects (noise and muzzle blast). With weight obviously the gun is going to be heavier.

What the heavier buffer does is slow the cycle of the action. The gas coming back through the gas tube has more weight to push back, and is thus slower in operation. A more powerful spring also means that gas has more force working against it. Too much force and mass means your gas system has more working against what its supposed to do.

Its normal to have some gas leakage around the gas block. Its not a perfectly sealed system. All that is is a tube inserted into a hole and pinned in place. Within tolerance parts can have a small area for gas to escape out. Your chamber pressure is going to be around 50,000 PSI....

Sparky5019
10-25-09, 11:34
HD1911,

This carbine has a Noveske KX3 on it...I am merely trying to educate myself as to the options and outcomes of each. Thanks for the input!

Belmont31R,

Thanks,

I figured a little leak was ok. I'll try the CAR buffer with XP spring and see! Thanks!

Sparky