PDA

View Full Version : Marksman Rifle

Winter Tyrant
10-24-09, 22:12
I am not only looking into precision rifles but also into general marksmanship. I was originally going to get the Sniper's Central Rem 700 package to venture into precision shooting but am re-thinking my decision. I was thinking about AppleSeed marksman program ( www.appleseedinfo.org/ ) and thought it would be best to start out with an AR-15 and get pretty good with Irons and move from there. What would your guys' opinions be on this? I would eventually move onto precision and longrange shooting since Whittington Center is only a couple hours away and I could take a class or two on precision shooting.

So what to do? Take up bolt action and scope shooting, or learn the fundamentals of using iron sights at distance to prepare me for long range with a scope? I know that both are different shooting styles but I would eventually want to be accurate with both in the event a scope breaks in the field or fails and having to revert to the old style(but not outdated) irons.

Thanks guys.

Also, sorry if this does not make sense...its from my phone.

edgewater
10-26-09, 19:18
If precision long rifle shooting is what you would like to start, I suggest doing a lot of research. There are many websites and books to get you started. The sport is not cheap and I suggest the "buy once, cry once" principle. Do your research. As far as guns, you can start with "out of the box" precision rifles such as AI, TRG or even the Remington 700 series rifles. The key is to find a rifle capable of .5 MOA groups. .308 caliber is were I suggest you start your journey. There are custom guns manufacturers such as GAP, Surgeon and APA to name a few that all produce sub MOA rifles. Next is glass. Good glass is just as important as the rifle. I suggest looking into scopes made by US Optics, Nightforce, S&B and Premire. These scopes are the best in the biz but you will pay dearly for them. What you can't see, you cannot hit and at 900 yards with a heavy mirage, it makes a difference. Once you have the gear that can do the job, it is time to build your abilities to match the abilities of your gear. This takes time and training. I suggest taking a long range precision rifle 1 and 2 class and a lot of rounds down range. Also a lot of dry firing. Trigger time is trigger time. The key to long range precision shooting is doing the same thing every time. Same motion w/ trigger finger, same cheek weld, same breathing, same follow through with the shot. If I can be of any help, drop me a line. Sean

D.examy
10-28-09, 20:59
I just got my C&R permit. Yehey... Ill first buy a handgun and Ive posted one message at the C&R forum. How about a good fun rifle?