PDA

View Full Version : How is the Eagle G-Code Holster?

Suicidepie
10-24-09, 23:34
I am looking to purchase a new kydex holster for my HK USP compact and I'm not very knowledgeable about holsters.

I really do not want to spend a whole lot of money, but at the same time I want a kydex holster that can hold up well in a combat environment.

I've been looking at the eagle g-code and it looks good enough but I was just wondering if anybody had experiences with these holsters?

Also, if friction locking is not enough, would the eagle Mark VI holster do the trick, it seems to have 2 locking systems.

kmrtnsn
10-25-09, 00:31
I wouldn't carry an open top, friction retention holster in a combat environment.

IrishDevil
10-25-09, 00:36
I've been using one for a G17 going on 2 years with no problems. They're good quality holsters, on par with most others IMO. I'll consider them again in the future.

Ak44
10-25-09, 00:40
What style holster? OWB, IWB, Thigh rig, chest rig?

Suicidepie
10-25-09, 10:56
What style holster? OWB, IWB, Thigh rig, chest rig?

Ill be using the OWB belt mount.

Mostly I'm just worried than while running, jumping, or whatever else might happen in a combat zone, I might shake the weapon free, since the only thing holding it is pressure.

If my worry could actually happen, do you guys have any recommendations as to what holster to get. (The problem is, if possible, I don't want to spend more than 80$.

Chameleox
10-25-09, 12:00
Mostly I'm just worried than while running, jumping, or whatever else might happen in a combat zone, I might shake the weapon free, since the only thing holding it is pressure.

OK, so you want an OWB holster. That's fine; there are a TON of quality OWB holster makers out there. Will it be worn exposed, or covered by another garment? What type of retention other than internal tension are you willing to work with? In addition to the running and jumping, will you be subject to opponents attempting to grab your gun?

You want one that will stand up to some rigorous movement and manipulation. OK, a lot will do that. Now the honest question is... What kind of combat are we talking about? Are you going to be in combat, or do you want a holster that can take it, just in case? From my time on this forum as a reader and as a member, I've learned that the term "combat" means different things to different people.
Being specific in terms of your needs, work environment, and expectations will get you the best response possible on this forum.

kmrtnsn
10-25-09, 12:05
6000 series Safariland, at least a double retention model.

Chameleox
10-25-09, 12:37
6000 series Safariland, at least a double retention model.

THIS.
Works for me.
Also works for a lot of people whose ops are blacker, and more frequent, than mine.

Iraq Ninja
10-25-09, 12:53
I wouldn't carry an open top, friction retention holster in a combat environment.

Depends what you do in the Combat Environment.

I have been using one for the past year. No problems other than loosing a screw out of the claw mount used to attach it to my vest. I use a lanyard with it as well.

Suicidepie
10-25-09, 13:16
My weapon will be carried exposed with no threat of opponents grabbing at it.

I am actually going to be using this in combat. And I am willing to work with any type of kydex retention styles.

Chameleox
10-25-09, 13:39
If its for serious business, then get the one that best matches your needs and wants. I wouldn't even put cost into the equation, since:
A: its a piece of lifesaving equipment, and
B: You already have the USP compact, so how much can cost be a factor
C: the industry standard for a duty/combat/tactical holster, the Safariland 6000 series, will run you over that, but its not really kydex, is it?

I'd take Iraq Ninja's advice seriously. I couldn't imagine using an open top holster in my environment, but he uses one in his (definitely more harsh), they must have some benefit.

Iraq Ninja
10-25-09, 14:49
My weapon will be carried exposed with no threat of opponents grabbing at it.

I am actually going to be using this in combat. And I am willing to work with any type of kydex retention styles.

I assume you are not a grunt since they don't normally carry HK USPs.

It really depends it you will be driving around Baghdad or humping over Tora Bora.

Iraq Ninja
10-25-09, 14:56
I'd take Iraq Ninja's advice seriously. I couldn't imagine using an open top holster in my environment, but he uses one in his (definitely more harsh), they must have some benefit.

Well, my experience relates to my work, and that is mostly driving around being a tactical taxi driver. If I was more high speed or operated at night, I would go back to my 6004. Until the OP tells us a little bit more about his situation, it is hard to say.

I do know that this holster does hold up well to daily wear and abuse. It would not be my choice if I had to HALO into Pakistan. :)

kmrtnsn
10-25-09, 20:23
Retention isn't always about someone snatching it away. Things like tumbling down enbankments, crawing through brush or through the inside of rolled vehicles make a positive form of retention much more than a good idea. Dummy cords are nice but have you ever seen a knot unraveled or the cord cut from a sharp object? I prefer a bit more than 550 cord to keep the things I depend on close.

oef24
10-25-09, 20:50
I would recommend the G-Code. Whether it will fit your needs in whatever environment you will be using it is another story. For the money, it is an amazing holster with plenty of options. The construction is second to none. If you do go OWB, you can get the belt loops which are spread apart to distribute the weight. You can also get their paddle style which is the most secure paddle I have ever seen. Good luck.

civilian
10-25-09, 23:46
I carried a G19 in a Raven open top holster for over a year in Iraq with no issues, other than the Raven belt loops snapping in the same location twice (replaced promptly by Raven). All depends on what you're doing in that combat environment, but since I had my M4 in my hands most of the time, the gun sat in the holster on my hip or in another open top holster on my vest and even after being tossed around a few times, never had the gun come out of the holster unless I drew it.

Chameleox
10-26-09, 00:14
Retention isn't always about someone snatching it away.

True enough, but its still worth considering. Probably not a primary concern in the OP's world. Extra retention does help in heavy brush or crawling over stuff though, even if just for peace of mind.
kmrtnsn, out of curiosity, what do you recommend for keeping non gun items lashed if not 550 cord?

kmrtnsn
10-26-09, 00:30
For do-it-yourself applications, which is 99% of them in the field, there is nothing better than 550 or rigger's cord; you cut it, you tie it, you move on. It is simple and user friendly. I have seen thin steel cable used in different applications but you need swaging gear to keep the ends from coming unraveled and it isn't readily available. Some of the coil-cord pistol lanyards work pretty well but I found that when I tried one I was always catching the lanyard on things and it drove me nuts. My point on 550 cord is that you don't want it to be your primary means of retention. If an item comes loose when you are on the move and you don't get it back in place it won't be long before the only thing on the end of the cord is frayed edges. A note on open top belt holsters. Armor tends to pull those pistol buts free when doing a lot of twisting around, which is where the whole drop leg idea was born. Me, I like Safariland's new plastic single strap shroud and flexible drop adapter with a 6004. It is not too low and out of the way of my armor. I find it isn't hanging on the steering wheel when I get in and out like the old drop panel did.

ROCKET20_GINSU
10-26-09, 00:38

+1

If it's CCW open top friction is fine, especially if its under a garment, and if the pistol is your primary weapon; but anytime you add armor, slings, rucks, personal retention lanyards, seat belts, etc...The chances of loosing the pistol are higher than I'm willing to accept for a "semi marginal" increase in draw time.

I'm sure it works for some, but in the middle of the night during trips in the sand box the last thing I ever wanted to do was get on my hands and knees with nods on and look for my pee shooter lol :D, just my .02 One of my old PSG's told me a story of one of his PL's loosing his pistol when they were out checking the wire in the middle of the night...not good... fortunately they found it.

I would absolutely recommend the Safariland 6004 series...a secondary hood lock / ALS is not "necessary" but they can be nice if thats what you are looking for and train with, but the SLS is a great system IMO. The SERPA is "ok" for short term but after a couple of months mine got all gunked up with dust and sand (despite maintenance and blowing it out with key board cleaner) and later broke...but up until that time it worked fine, If I really liked the SERPA I'd bring 2. Unfortunately no experience with the G-code so I can't help you there, but I did see a serious personality using it to pack a Sig 226 over there, he seemed to like it...Good luck and stay safe over there.

GU