PDA

View Full Version : Re: Older Colt Delta Elite 10mm, any mods needed?

flyer
10-25-09, 09:43
I have an older Older Colt Delta Elite 10mm that I purchased back when they first came out. I shot a couple of mags through it and put it away. I recently thought about bringing it back out and remembered hearing that there were some issues with the first models. Are they OK to shoot or do they need any mods?

sff70
10-25-09, 12:05
Congrats on your DE.

IIRC, there were some issues with the double-spring recoil system. There was a plastic part in it that could break. Never saw one do so, though.

I have a pre-enhanced stainless DE. Prior to customizing it, it ran fine in stock form.

I ditched the double spring system a long time ago for a GI spring guide, and a single recoil spring.

For low power 10mm loads, I use springs in the 14 to 18.5 lb range.

For full power, I ran a 22 lb spring, and a shock buff.

IIRC, the stock mainspring on the DE is also heavier than normal. I run a 19 lb mainspring in my DE.

If you run really hot ammo a lot, you'll find problems with the stripper rail peening in the area where the top of the disconnector sits, next to the hole for the firing pin plunger.

I sent the slide to EGW to get it repaired, and you'd never know anything had occurred. They have done this on other DEs and knew exactly what to do. George and his guys do great work.

Good luck!