PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on a tiny little buffer tube

DFinnegan
07-05-06, 10:37
Hey all:

While at Knob Creek this past spring I ran into a guy carrying an AR pistol with the smallest buffer tube on it that still uses a standard bolt carrier. I asked him about it so he took it apart and showed me the insides. Basically, it was some dual spring system that used a thin pressured coil on the interrior of the buffer tube in addition to an outer coil. There was no actual buffer in the tube, IIRC. He did tell me who manufactured it at the time, but we were so busy I forgot about 2 minutes later and her was gone.

Anybody know what I saw? I appreciate the help.

K.L. Davis
07-10-06, 09:00
Back when AR pistols were kinda new, guys used to cut down tubes to just a few inches, iirc BM marketed a short tube for a while, as did M1 -- but I think they both went the way of the buffalo.

It seems that one big problem with a system that does not use a buffer, is that the travel of the bolt is limited by the compression of the spring -- I think the correct term for compressing a spring to its mechanical limit (coil on coil) is "bulldozing" and it shortens the life of the spring (and the spring itself) very quickly!

Anyway, I know guys have had luck with dual spring setups, the inner spring being made from the recoil spring on a 1911 pistol -- I think you need to get a "long slide" spring and cut it down a little... not really sure, I dont do much with the pistols. I do recall that bolt bounce was a big problem with these setups.

-Wes-
07-18-06, 00:38
Some guys where experimenting with BM's Carbon 15 buffer system. May want to look into that.

DFinnegan
07-18-06, 09:53
I will look into it. Interesting info. Thanks guys.